• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019/2020 Alpine Wyoming Snow Report, Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Let the planning begin! Just watched some vids from the area, and it looks insane. Not anything like what I grew up with in PA! Thanks for the insigh!
We have received an insane amount of snow the last few weeks. Jackson Hole ski resort is claiming record snow. Over 100" since January. In other words anytime from now on is going to be great riding this winter. January, days are shorter and weather is colder, but deep snow is more likely. March is the other end of the spectrum. Plenty of snow to ride, longer days, less chance for over the hood powder, yet still possible. Although many years it is possible to ride as late as late May and sometimes much later, but most consider the snowmobile season somewhat over by the first week of April. That is also when the valley snow has typically melted, not always. The state groomers typically stop grooming in early April. You could always come out in mid-march and ride plus attend the Jackson Hole HillClimbs. Hope that helps. If you are looking for lodging and riding advise, give us a call Rockin' M Ranch 307-654-2288.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Let the planning begin! Just watched some vids from the area, and it looks insane. Not anything like what I grew up with in PA! Thanks for the insigh!
Very honestly if you have not ridden out west I would not recommend Alpine. It is tough terrain. One of my favorite places to ride, but not for beginners. There are many other options in the west that are much easier to navigate, have a wider variety of terrain, and have as good or better snow much of the year.

That said I highly recommend Rob and Rockin M, they have very nice cabins, and he can point you in the right direction. Like many have said, late February/early March is probably the ideal time to go.

N
Jan 15, 2020
We have received an insane amount of snow the last few weeks. Jackson Hole ski resort is claiming record snow. Over 100" since January. In other words anytime from now on is going to be great riding this winter. January, days are shorter and weather is colder, but deep snow is more likely. March is the other end of the spectrum. Plenty of snow to ride, longer days, less chance for over the hood powder, yet still possible. Although many years it is possible to ride as late as late May and sometimes much later, but most consider the snowmobile season somewhat over by the first week of April. That is also when the valley snow has typically melted, not always. The state groomers typically stop grooming in early April. You could always come out in mid-march and ride plus attend the Jackson Hole HillClimbs. Hope that helps. If you are looking for lodging and riding advise, give us a call Rockin' M Ranch 307-654-2288.
Thanks for the note! Considering my options...

N
Jan 15, 2020
Very honestly if you have not ridden out west I would not recommend Alpine. It is tough terrain. One of my favorite places to ride, but not for beginners. There are many other options in the west that are much easier to navigate, have a wider variety of terrain, and have as good or better snow much of the year.

That said I highly recommend Rob and Rockin M, they have very nice cabins, and he can point you in the right direction. Like many have said, late February/early March is probably the ideal time to go.
Hmmm... your note has given me pause. I have been researching for quite some time, and keep coming back to Alpine. What I do not want is trail riding and a big tourist scene looking for wildlife. I have a motocross background, am in good shape, and Alpine is calling me. That said, I do NOT have experience riding out west, and am keeping an open mind to other alternatives. Have any suggestions you would be willing to share?

Thanks!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Hmmm... your note has given me pause. I have been researching for quite some time, and keep coming back to Alpine. What I do not want is trail riding and a big tourist scene looking for wildlife. I have a motocross background, am in good shape, and Alpine is calling me. That said, I do NOT have experience riding out west, and am keeping an open mind to other alternatives. Have any suggestions you would be willing to share?

Thanks!
Togwotee, West Yellowstone, Island Park, and McCall all come to mind as huge areas with all sorts of terrain and excellent snow as well as close airports and numerous lodging options. There are some tourists at all these locations, especially West Yellowstone, but its easy to get away from all that, most people are there for deep pow and hills.

IF you and your riding group spend plenty of time off trail back east you will probably be just fine in Alpine. If you mostly ride trails and are dreaming of deep powder and pow turns there are better options for beginners. There just aren’t alot of flat areas and open rolling hills around the Star Valley to learn the basics. Just something to consider.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Alpine is awesome, but if ur not familiar with area. Call Troy at Lincoln County Customs (307-654-6637). They do guide service and sled rentals. Pool some group cash and spring for an off trail guide for a day. After that yall have enough of an understanding of terrain and enough off trail location to safely venture out from.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Togwotee, West Yellowstone, Island Park, and McCall all come to mind as huge areas with all sorts of terrain and excellent snow as well as close airports and numerous lodging options. There are some tourists at all these locations, especially West Yellowstone, but its easy to get away from all that, most people are there for deep pow and hills.

IF you and your riding group spend plenty of time off trail back east you will probably be just fine in Alpine. If you mostly ride trails and are dreaming of deep powder and pow turns there are better options for beginners. There just aren’t alot of flat areas and open rolling hills around the Star Valley to learn the basics. Just something to consider.
Agree to disagree. I've ridden all of those places mentioned except McCall. Island Park has changed a bunch in the last 30 years and is extremely crowded. Sawtelle and Jefferson are just as steep as the terrain around Alpine. I have friends with cabins in I.P. yet they still come to Alpine to ride. Half of the rideable terrain in West Yellowstone is in the National Park and Two Top has very little character. Lions head is one of the most avalanche prone canyons I have ever ridden and is still very advanced. Togwotee is a great place, but like most, you will eventually get bored with it, it all looks the same and doesn't have much character. The snow is typically deep due to it's high elevation but it gets tracked up quick due to the large number of people. If you hit it in a snow storm it is a very easy place to get turned around and or lost, and the depth perception is poor due to the lack of trees.
That being said, Alpine is one of the easiest places to self guide that there is. I don't think many areas have much on Alpine, if any. If you choose to ride the Greys River, the trail system follows the river for about 50 miles. All of the drainages lead to the river. The river runs to Alpine. There are services, gas and lunch, 28 miles up the river at the box y. The little greys 16 miles up has great intermediate riding.
In my opinion, some of the best riding is West of Alpine in Idaho. You can be climbing poker peak 7 miles from Alpine, which is also great intermediate riding. Although Alpine is known for having some epic steep and deep, it also has plenty of great terrain for newer riders. I can go on and on. Here is a picture from yesterday of one of the meadows that I had my 20 year old daughter and 16 year old nephew, who is on his 7th snowmobile ride in his life. We rode directly west from the Rockin' M Ranch cabins. Tons of great untouched powder meadows with very little avalanche danger.
From Alpine: Idaho Falls Airport 72 miles, Jackson Airport 50.

20200119_121220.jpg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Lol! Watch starting at 7:13

There's terrain for everyone. You just need someone to guide you. The Idaho side is more rolling hills. The Wyoming side is more technical.

Yes, there's a BCA refill location in Afton.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 29, 2020 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
The last week or so has been a series of small warmer storms that haven't put down more than a few inches in the valley. Appears terrain over 8000' has received a pretty good hit. Willow creek appears to have picked up over a foot of new and now have snotel readings over 70". Quick storm predicted for tonight and another better storm in the forecast for Sunday.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 3, 2020 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
We picked up about 4" overnight here at the Rockin' M cabins. I measured 6" just a couple hundred feet above the cabins. Willow creek is showing 10" in the last 24 hours. I rode out of Bedford on Saturday. It was a warm day. Still plenty of soft good carving snow. I was very satisfied how stable the snowpack seemed. I saw very little evidence of any slides old or new. There were a few wet (snowball) slides in the afternoon, but nothing large or fast moving, just the result of the first warm afternoon. Cool temps and sunny the next few days. Should be good.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We are in the middle of another big storm. I measured 13" in the last 24 hours here at the Rockin' M Cabins. It is predicted to go through Saturday. I will check back at the end. For a guide check with LCC in Alpine.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 10, 2020 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
Well I finally found a few minutes break from clearing snow to give a summary of the last few days. The below attached picture was Saturday morning, 18" on my truck. Saturday warmed up a bit and settled the lower elevation snow. Sunday cooled down and dried the lower snowpack out a bit. Reports on Sunday were that the snowpack low wasn't ruined just a little more set up and riding was great mid mountain and up. Temps now very cool and we received an inch or two in the last 24 hours. Reports of 3 plus feet of new snow in places like Willow Creek. The Willow creek snotel hit 95" and Commissary Ridge 98". The snowpack in the Snake river drainage is 115% and the Salt River Range snotels are between 120-140%. I don't remember this much valley snow in many years, maybe 1997? Below is todays avalanche report:
General Avalanche Advisory
Above 7,500 feet, skiers and riders still have some potential to trigger large to very large, recently developed wind slabs in very steep, leeward terrain. Some potential may remain for these slabs to step down to persistent weak layers of faceted snow near the base of the snowpack. Below 7,500 feet, backcountry travelers might be able to trigger small, isolated pockets of wind slab on very steep isolated terrain features that have been recently wind loaded. If skies become mostly sunny as the day progresses, these slabs may become more susceptible to failure on sunlit aspects lower down, and the chance for shallow wet slides could also develop on low elevation, sunlit slopes.

20200207_112134.jpg

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Lol! Watch starting at 7:13

There's terrain for everyone. You just need someone to guide you. The Idaho side is more rolling hills. The Wyoming side is more technical.

Yes, there's a BCA refill location in Afton.

I remember hearing about that ride. It was dropping off the back side of murphy to the west into the top of Stewart area. Locals trying to challenge Chris. Not a typical place that anyone rides on a regular basis.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I remember hearing about that ride. It was dropping off the back side of murphy to the west into the top of Stewart area. Locals trying to challenge Chris. Not a typical place that anyone rides on a regular basis.
Lol! Yeah, I know the area well. Makes sense. They probably dropped off of what we usually call Squaw Creek Pass. That's a heck of a drop and no room for error.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 17, 2020 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
Since early a.m. yesterday morning 10-14" here in the valley. Jackson Hole resort is reporting 20" in 24 hours. Looks about the same for our nearby mountains. The most snow I have seen on the valley floor in many years. Good news, it cooled off after the storm rather than warming. Should keep the snow fresh! Forecast is cool and sunny for the next 4 or 5 days. Great week to be here.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Anyone care to share what they've been seeing for avy activity in the Greys River area? Trying to do some route planning for the weekend. Bridger Teton Avy Center only mentions wind slabs.

Premium Features