• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut Your Tunnel Without Welding It Back Together

Nov 27, 2008
I cut 5" off my 155 but did it the old school way it took me a long time but I think I was better off. I did use the 5' MTNTK cooler which fit perfect.20191212_191520.jpg

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
9b4a5fce073b84e0c33f544174a06b3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you hear or feel the track hitting it?
Or just saw it when loading?
Was sled bottoming out or jumping it hard?

I have kit installed also now I’ll have this in back of my mind. Worse case you just weld it up with old cross section if you kept it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Are you running anything unique skid wise? oversized wheels/ or anything like that?

I've cut a few way down the old school way and they still have the angled snow flap holder and it never hits. Curious what happened with yours.

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
Are you running anything unique skid wise? oversized wheels/ or anything like that?

I've cut a few way down the old school way and they still have the angled snow flap holder and it never hits. Curious what happened with yours.

My sled is bone stock. I think the problem is how thick the whole assembly ends up being. Even in their product description it says the guard is meant take abuse from the track. I just don’t want people assuming that it’s bulletproof. If I knew what I know now, I’d cut and weld, not waste 450$ Canadian pesos on this bull chit

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
Ok. So how much thicker is the plastic kit versus the welded end .....

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

It’s more then just the plastic, with the guard I’m gonna guess it’s 3/4” thicker. Combine that with it being shorter, (closer to the wheels and track) it’s interfering excessively. I’m gonna guess there was little testing from the manufacturer. Good theory, poor execution. My dealer send mntnk messages and I’ve also sent messages to mntnk with no reply’s.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
They didn't do any snow testing before releasing the kit. But it looks like its just smashed a bit. All cosmetic. Who cares?? And I want to know what you were doing to bottom but that bad. The easy way to fix would be add to the stops. Plus I would be curious fit some one with air shocks to let all the air out of their sled and collapsed the rear skid and see how it hits.

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
They didn't do any snow testing before releasing the kit. But it looks like its just smashed a bit. All cosmetic. Who cares?? And I want to know what you were doing to bottom but that bad. The easy way to fix would be add to the stops. Plus I would be curious fit some one with air shocks to let all the air out of their sled and collapsed the rear skid and see how it hits.

08f62794ed4b990157c4b087da827373.jpg

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.

It’s more then cosmetic when it leaks antifreeze...

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
08f62794ed4b990157c4b087da827373.jpg

Don’t mean for you to feel attacked by anyone, but I’m also curious how you would bottom out that bad, and how a soft rubber track would do damage like that. Sure it’s not from a rock or something like that?

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Don’t mean for you to feel attacked by anyone, but I’m also curious how you would bottom out that bad, and how a soft rubber track would do damage like that. Sure it’s not from a rock or something like that?

It might be soft rubber but it’s the speed it’s traveling that does the damage. Two of my friends have this kit. One is installed on a 163 cut down 4 inches. Few times has contacted kit but no damage yet. Other has not installed due to durability concerns after looking at clearance with kit installed on a 155/163 rails/3 inch track.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
FYI
My buddy installed this MTNTK kit, and did not achieve a seal on the plastic adapters. He gave up and had it welded. Kit for sale if anyone wants it......lol!
Thank god, imagine if this failed in the bush or on the mountain in a nasty location.......

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Sorry for coming in late on this, as I'm a product development engineer and have lots of experience and several patents concerning 3D printing. I can maybe give some insight. It looks like the printed tubes are likely raw ABS. Unfortunately, 3D printed plastics are very porous, due to the way the plastic is put down in layers and the very large molecular size of the plastic. So, holding fluid, especially at a temperature approaching the softening temp (221F for ABS but can be lower with the porosity) is not a good idea. There are finishing methods to reducing the porosity by tumbling or vapor polishing, but the pics I've seen look to be just raw printed parts.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
black eye on mtntk's part for releasing something that is serious with cutting the tunnel with no testing behind it.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I don’t think I’ll be cutting up my $15000 sled anytime soon. I’ll wait for the factory to offer it. Seems like resale could be an issue.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I'm not a materials expert, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to mill these out of aluminum so they expand and contract at a similar rate to the coolant tubes you cut....

Last edited:
Premium Features