• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 9R shuts down after a few seconds of high idle

T
Mar 15, 2023
Lake Tahoe
I have 90 miles on my new 9R. It's been running great for 3 rides. No issues at all. Today it takes 3-4 pulls to start (it sputters and died right away on the first few pulls), and when it does start it goes into high idle at 2400-2500 RPM for a random amount of time before sputtering out. I can sometimes give it throttle up to 4000 RPM before it dies. I changed the spark plugs, checked the electrical connections, and no luck.

Any suggestion or what else to try or check? I'm taking it to the dealer on Friday but would be great to get it figured out without the drive.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I have 90 miles on my new 9R. It's been running great for 3 rides. No issues at all. Today it takes 3-4 pulls to start (it sputters and died right away on the first few pulls), and when it does start it goes into high idle at 2400-2500 RPM for a random amount of time before sputtering out. I can sometimes give it throttle up to 4000 RPM before it dies. I changed the spark plugs, checked the electrical connections, and no luck.

Any suggestion or what else to try or check? I'm taking it to the dealer on Friday but would be great to get it figured out without the drive.
Stupid question but Im assuming your throttle cable isn't too tight, frozen up, or kinked? This almost sounds like a TPS or TSS issue.

Premium Features