• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ken Block snowmobile death

M
Not blaming the equipment or the manufacturers.
Just agreeing that it's likely not going to be rare to hear about these stories in the future. Especially with a lot of new riders having turbos be their first sleds.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Super sad, Ken Block was sick driver, and DC snowboard brand was monumental in 90s skateboarding and snowboarding. With that said, those gen5s loop out pretty easy. My buddy almost got trapped by his earlier this season. Here's vid of his Gen5 trying to take him out.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I wonder if if in certain situations deploying your air bag might create some space for you to buy you time or use your radio? I’ve almost drown just stink bugging in deep snow iam so fat and skinny all at once. Good thing I ain’t a cool kid.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I wonder if if in certain situations deploying your air bag might create some space for you to buy you time or use your radio? I’ve almost drown just stink bugging in deep snow iam so fat and skinny all at once. Good thing I ain’t a cool kid.
Probably a good idea if you can. move your arms and get to the pull handle. With a full pin down that won’t be possible.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Man this snowmobile things seeming kinda scary !? A friend asked me about “hidden costs” of snowmobiling and I said ,” oh yeah you need some money for doctors and injuries for sure.” He said he meant like truck break downs and clothes lol.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Snowmobiling definitely has its risks, but I wouldn’t say it’s any worse than any other “extreme sport”. I honestly think I hear about more skiing deaths throwout the winter than sledding deaths. No matter what your passion is, people need to be aware of the risks they’re choosing to take.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Super sad, Ken Block was sick driver, and DC snowboard brand was monumental in 90s skateboarding and snowboarding. With that said, those gen5s loop out pretty easy. My buddy almost got trapped by his earlier this season. Here's vid of his Gen5 trying to take him out.

It would help if you were in the correct rider position per manufacturer design, much less likely to come over...but the cool kids like to shift weight back and drive with ski's in the air, as per your video.

BLAMING the sled for coming over is a moronic statement, it is not the sleds fault, riders fault 100%.

Sad to hear of this accident and death

M
Jan 26, 2013

The video is disabled. But your description is sophistry. The sled did not try to take him out. It is a mindless inanimate object until someone rides it , some ride better than others.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I sure would like to know what happened. What the heck is "upended"? I'm unassuming that means he flipped over backwards. We honestly need the answers to the questions. He was riding with a group but was lone when the accident happened? Did he suffocate under the sled being trapped? Did the sled crush him? This is a sad tragedy and my prayers go out to family and friends. It may sound selfish on my part but I want to learn from things that have happened. Did he make a bad decision? God knows I've made a ton.

I think it was 3 years ago I met Ken at a rally race here in Portland. I was walking around in the pits and there he was. We talked for like 5 minuets. He was the most down to earth guy you could imagine.

I would have thought going 140mph in a trophy truck threw the desert would be more dangerous.

I mean no disrespect with my questions

M

Meyersnow

Feb 8, 2015
Breckenridge
I’ve been thinking the same thing everyday since the accident. Impact or asphyxiation? Riding alone but in a group is something we all fall victim too. Super sad and great question. There is a reason your comment has 5 likes.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I sure would like to know what happened. What the heck is "upended"? I'm unassuming that means he flipped over backwards. We honestly need the answers to the questions. He was riding with a group but was lone when the accident happened? Did he suffocate under the sled being trapped? Did the sled crush him? This is a sad tragedy and my prayers go out to family and friends. It may sound selfish on my part but I want to learn from things that have happened. Did he make a bad decision? God knows I've made a ton.

I think it was 3 years ago I met Ken at a rally race here in Portland. I was walking around in the pits and there he was. We talked for like 5 minuets. He was the most down to earth guy you could imagine.

I would have thought going 140mph in a trophy truck threw the desert would be more dangerous.

I agree with knowing to help prevent or at least understand future accidents like this. I had a friend nearly die of asphyxiation being pinned by a sled against a tree. Guys riding with him at time didn't think much of it when they saw it happen and didn't move very quick to assess and when they did, found him blue and unconscious. Mouth to mouth saved his life just in time. No other injuries. Realizing this kind of danger makes me more reactive when I see a rider disappear near a sled.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Sometimes…it’s just bad or dumb luck. I had a young daughter. She died instantly when her heart valve failed from a fall that would have just been like being tackled in football or falling hard off your bike. What would be considered a easy fall not even a bruise or scratch.There was no indication of a medical problem ever before in her life and then one day she fell and she died in a literal instant. Crazy sometimes how life works and ends. My father in law allways talks about the “minute later.” If he’d have just turned left or if he’d have gone just a minute later. I used to hate when people said “he died doing what he loved.” I’d say yeah he died drowning or falling off a cliff bet he loved that. Now I think they’re right. Was fun up to the end (kinda) my dad used to say ,”the dead need no prayers.” “Save and use them on the living.” So my prayers go out to the family . He also said ,”you may not beat the odds but you can allways lesson them.” Air Force pilot , Vietnam vet and good man and father. Great daughter and wonderful person. We’ll see you guys when we see ya! Be ready when the day comes and celebrate living every chance you get! The end

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN

I read it and tried to find the link again but can't right now. I'll keep looking for reference........

But it said the sled came over backwards onto him. He went down into the trench when he fell off and when the sled came over it pinned him in place and he was not able to move at all. He end up suffocating. His group found him after a short time (Thought maybe 4-5 minutes) and administered CPR until search and rescue arrived but they were unable to revive him.

Again, I will try and find that article again as I don't want to say anything untrue.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Misinformation is at least as old as Greenland. Why I have so much skepticism in humanity (sad to say) CNN has taught the internet well.

Premium Features