• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900R worth 2K more???

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Probably wouldnt buy one first year
Never understood this. You either get lucky or you don't. They are all pretty good anymore unless you're unlucky. I've had really good luck but don't keep stuff that long. I also usually have something else to ride. Buddy's first year 850 went down at 50 miles but i don't think he missed another weekend. My boost has been trouble free but half the miles i would usually have. I've had about every first year model except iq or dragon and no problem. Had a doo or cat then. My 07 xrs was awesom until Buddy's girlfriend got it hot. Everyone had trouble with that. Most of this stuff is caused by brand bias on internet or you don't hear anything but bad. Polaris doesn't have a stellar track record but better every year. I bet 9r is fine. Will someone's blow up. Yup. Will it be mine hope not.
People aren't getting any younger. Why sit around your whole life waiting. I know you're still snowmobiling but you're not doing what you really want. I'm not going to be one of those people with a big list if someone asked you what you would do different. Missing out on life waiting. I'm not happ with 3/4 of the hill or willing to settle

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
What he said ⬆️
I’m happy to spend a little extra for warrantied mods!
Especially Since it’s based on Carls 900, and there know to be quite good.
My 850 exploded with 924 miles last month, so maybe My 9R will be better??
I haven’t blown a motor in 20 yrs which is Not a bad track record really….
Enjoy life and take the good with the bad.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I think it is definitely worth $2000.00.. When you consider a cover & spare belt will be over $500.

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Absolutely!

That 9R, is basically the 900 kit Jack Struthers at Carls Cycle Sales developed, with Polaris's "refinements",.

The Carls 900 kit wouldl cost you about $5k, and that is with no Polaris warranty.

If you can get a 900 for $2k more than the 850 . . AND a warranty, it is a no-brainer :)

Where are you comming up with 5k for a carls 900 kit? I see the kit listed just shy of 3k. I know theres probably extra stuff you can add. But how many variations of the kit are there?
I have been fairly interested in a 900 kit for awile and thought I had a 9r nailed down but lost out. Not to worried about it though got an 850 and if I want one bad enough I will build one.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Choose the 9R instead of the Boost for my 2023 snow checked based on:

a. I ride mainly in the trees so lighter is better.
b. Have been riding a turbo since 2018 and frankly the turbos are overkill for my riding.
c. Parts that are not there weigh nothing and do not break.

If I were in BC and rode lots of big mountain deep powder the turbo would be better, but in Idaho we are not so lucky.

A
Jan 31, 2010
Just as the title says I can get a 9R for 2 grand more than a 850 is it worth it? Especially being first year motor.
When I price it out on Polaris website a Khoas slash 155 with the 900 is more like $2,600 over the 850. Thats getting close to a CC 900 in price but probably not as much in performance (I have no experience on either, but CC900 doesnt need to meet emissions).

And to those calling it a factory mod sled, its not. It is a factory stock sled that produces a little more power per 100cc's than the 850 (if you assume the 850 makes 165 hp). Add 7% to that and the 900 is around 176-177hp. That means the 850 producew 19.41 hp per 100cc's and the 900 produces 19.62 hp per 100cc;'s. Pretty good for a snowmachine with a warranty. For reference a KTM 125sx and 250 sx are about 30.4 and 20 hp per 100 cc's

Maybe I am an old man now, but for something that costs close to $20k I expect it to last a while. I cant see paying that kind of money and keeping a back up around just in case and thinking that is ok. I'll give it a year and see how it goes. Burnt too many times on a first year engine.....

T
Oct 16, 2017
Never understood this. You either get lucky or you don't. They are all pretty good anymore unless you're unlucky. I've had really good luck but don't keep stuff that long. I also usually have something else to ride. Buddy's first year 850 went down at 50 miles but i don't think he missed another weekend. My boost has been trouble free but half the miles i would usually have. I've had about every first year model except iq or dragon and no problem. Had a doo or cat then. My 07 xrs was awesom until Buddy's girlfriend got it hot. Everyone had trouble with that. Most of this stuff is caused by brand bias on internet or you don't hear anything but bad. Polaris doesn't have a stellar track record but better every year. I bet 9r is fine. Will someone's blow up. Yup. Will it be mine hope not.
People aren't getting any younger. Why sit around your whole life waiting. I know you're still snowmobiling but you're not doing what you really want. I'm not going to be one of those people with a big list if someone asked you what you would do different. Missing out on life waiting. I'm not happ with 3/4 of the hill or willing to settle

It’s not luck, it’s simple statistics. Look at any manufacturer and first year of a new motor or chassis is rife with issues compared to any other. Hell I have a NA 850 slash and of the maybe 4 totally new parts, 2 have had either issues or recalls. Still waiting on my fuel pump to fail since it sounds like a jet engine every other ride.

No different in automotive. Ford in their infinite wisdom put plastic oil pans on 2018 raptors - those owners still have issues. Bronco hardtops have been a disaster.

First year you are a beta tester. If you have an 800 or 850 axys or matryx, why would you buy the first year 900r? Doubtful you would be “not living life” or having less fun. You’d simply enjoying the season since your sled isn’t as likely to be broken at the shop waiting on parts due to a supply chain shortage.

I’ll clarify - if you are riding around on an old axys or pro ride, worth the upgrade. Just weigh the additional risk of failure with the benefit of 850 vs 900 at your elevation. Personally being on a matryx slash 850 I don’t see any reason to upgrade to the 900r at 10k feet

Last edited:

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
When I price it out on Polaris website a Khoas slash 155 with the 900 is more like $2,600 over the 850. Thats getting close to a CC 900 in price but probably not as much in performance (I have no experience on either, but CC900 doesnt need to meet emissions).

And to those calling it a factory mod sled, its not. It is a factory stock sled that produces a little more power per 100cc's than the 850 (if you assume the 850 makes 165 hp). Add 7% to that and the 900 is around 176-177hp. That means the 850 producew 19.41 hp per 100cc's and the 900 produces 19.62 hp per 100cc;'s. Pretty good for a snowmachine with a warranty. For reference a KTM 125sx and 250 sx are about 30.4 and 20 hp per 100 cc's

Maybe I am an old man now, but for something that costs close to $20k I expect it to last a while. I cant see paying that kind of money and keeping a back up around just in case and thinking that is ok. I'll give it a year and see how it goes. Burnt too many times on a first year engine.....
That is the difference I was quoted.
Screenshot_20220228-163045.png

I ended up ordering this for my son he picked the colors. I have a 22 boost 155 I ride so I can compare to see what I like better and order for me in 24. We have a spare sled so first year motor not as a big of concern.
It's a crap shoot on poo first year sleds 2000 800 sucked, 2002 ves 800 ran great, 05 866 was a pile of poop thank God never owned one, 07 700 dragon was a ripper, 800 dragons not good, 11 800 a lot better, 16 axys 800 ran strong still have one, 19 850 my wife's ran great mine was a turd. So hopefully 900 is good.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

The 850 is actually 840cc so, 19.64hp per 100cc

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It’s not luck, it’s simple statistics. Look at any manufacturer and first year of a new motor or chassis is rife with issues compared to any other. Hell I have a NA 850 slash and of the maybe 4 totally new parts, 2 have had either issues or recalls. Still waiting on my fuel pump to fail since it sounds like a jet engine every other ride.

No different in automotive. Ford in their infinite wisdom put plastic oil pans on 2018 raptors - those owners still have issues. Bronco hardtops have been a disaster.

First year you are a beta tester. If you have an 800 or 850 axys or matryx, why would you buy the first year 900r? Doubtful you would be “not living life” or having less fun. You’d simply enjoying the season since your sled isn’t as likely to be broken at the shop waiting on parts due to a supply chain shortage.

I’ll clarify - if you are riding around on an old axys or pro ride, worth the upgrade. Just weigh the additional risk of failure with the benefit of 850 vs 900 at your elevation. Personally being on a matryx slash 850 I don’t see any reason to upgrade to the 900r at 10k feet
I guess I'll equate it to thrill factor. 8 is good and 9 is better. It doesn't matter what elevation. The difference is going to carry through. I've got no problem if you don't see the value as you should have no problem that i do. I'll bet it is stellar in the trees and creek bottoms. I have a 155 boost that is a hoot and a re turbo lynx coming so not too worried about the 9r. Something has to run. Everyone asked for this years ago and now that its here you don't want it. Factory turbo with warranty and Factory big bore with warranty. Times are good if you ask me.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I guess I'll equate it to thrill factor. 8 is good and 9 is better. It doesn't matter what elevation. The difference is going to carry through. I've got no problem if you don't see the value as you should have no problem that i do. I'll bet it is stellar in the trees and creek bottoms. I have a 155 boost that is a hoot and a re turbo lynx coming so not too worried about the 9r. Something has to run. Everyone asked for this years ago and now that its here you don't want it. Factory turbo with warranty and Factory big bore with warranty. Times are good if you ask me.
If 8 is good and 9 is better, then Cat or Doo needs to pull a Spinal Tap move and turn it up to 11!

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
If 8 is good and 9 is better, then Cat or Doo needs to pull a Spinal Tap move and turn it up to 11!
Don't expect it from Cat. Dealer meeting reveal was just a 900cc 165hp motor...for their Blast line....and BNG...that's it. Like they found a stash of old King Cat motors collecting dust from 2003 to sell off.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Times are great for sleds. Just need bank to buy and fuel, open forest, and snow. Bank is up to you. Good ole days are now, just add snow.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Cat isn't turning anything up and i thought their 1000 was a heavy pile. We all know how doos was. 8 pounds lighter than an apex. There is a line there.
Yeah, I didn't like the handling of either 1000cc sled, I used to clown them with my little M8 153 however, if u put all the SLP stuff on the M1000 and it was at 190hp.
It climbed like it had 30hp more than all the 800s. Put a 3in PC on, and I would put it up against the 900r in a mile long climb.

Not saying the heavy M1 would be a fun ride, but I bet if properly tuned, it would leave the highmark.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
AC is running on exhaust fumes. Groundhog Day for cat riders. They’ve become irrelevant, despite all the innovation in the past. Opportunity lost, maybe for good. They are still towing Yamaha, which may be the sole reason they haven’t tapped out. Lynx has easily displaced them in one year, market-wise. They’ve lost the ability to compete with styling and innovation, and dealers are in shambles. Don’t be shocked if there is no AC in 2024 - big tex will just keep making wheelers.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Is it or is it not worth $2k more ? Completely depends on the Human doing the buying….There is a ( Small )group that don’t care much about the money it’s all about wanting the biggest….. And they are buying it and most will not complain if it’s a short life motor.

Then there is the rest of the people…….. ( The 900R is not for the masses ) IMO

The desire for lite-weight Big Bores is very understandable.

Whats funny about all this lite-weight crank,flywheel stuff…… is it’s all about feel not fact.

Back in 2005/06 we built a custom billet crankshaft for the Polaris 866 motor that smoothed out the problems caused by a lite-weight crankshaft and poor motor mounts. ( It was all about adding needed weight )

The Polaris 900R will suffer a shorter life then the 850 Because of the lite flywheel….. They should have added a little more weight to the 900R not take it away.

The 2 year warranty says it all….. ( I am surprised it even comes with a warranty ) My guess is Polaris is hoping most are sold to flatlanders that only ride once or twice a year.

900R Hard core mountain riders that ride a lot, and ride with lots of extended Full Throttle better have a good back up sled and save the 900R for blue bird days.

Note to self - Good Motor mounts saved The Harley Davidson Motorcycle company.

The 900R will need really good motor mounts.

If a 900R had 2016 Axys motor mounts the motor would destroy itself in under 750 miles…… It’s a lot about the motor mounts.

The release of 2023 900R has Spark design and release of a Full Billet crankshaft from Indy Specialty.

For the first time since 2005/06 Indy Specialty has decided the 900R is going to worth the investment and energy to build a complete crankshaft assembly….. Better Balanced and a little more mass to make the Polaris 850/900R The best performing Big Block 2 Stroke of all time.?

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Dan

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Is it or is it not worth $2k more ? Completely depends on the Human doing the buying….There is a ( Small )group that don’t care much about the money it’s all about wanting the biggest….. And they are buying it and most will not complain if it’s a short life motor.

Then there is the rest of the people…….. ( The 900R is not for the masses ) IMO

The desire for lite-weight Big Bores is very understandable.

Whats funny about all this lite-weight crank,flywheel stuff…… is it’s all about feel not fact.

Back in 2005/06 we built a custom billet crankshaft for the Polaris 866 motor that smoothed out the problems caused by a lite-weight crankshaft and poor motor mounts. ( It was all about adding needed weight )

The Polaris 900R will suffer a shorter life then the 850 Because of the lite flywheel….. They should have added a little more weight to the 900R not take it away.

The 2 year warranty says it all….. ( I am surprised it even comes with a warranty ) My guess is Polaris is hoping most are sold to flatlanders that only ride once or twice a year.

900R Hard core mountain riders that ride a lot, and ride with lots of extended Full Throttle better have a good back up sled and save the 900R for blue bird days.

Note to self - Good Motor mounts saved The Harley Davidson Motorcycle company.

The 900R will need really good motor mounts.

If a 900R had 2016 Axys motor mounts the motor would destroy itself in under 750 miles…… It’s a lot about the motor mounts.

The release of 2023 900R has Spark design and release of a Full Billet crankshaft from Indy Specialty.

For the first time since 2005/06 Indy Specialty has decided the 900R is going to worth the investment and energy to build a complete crankshaft assembly….. Better Balanced and a little more mass to make the Polaris 850/900R The best performing Big Block 2 Stroke of all time.?

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Dan

I agree Dan. I've popped my fair share of mods and its always been pretty expected. I think if I bought one and planned on having it for more than a year I'd be watching sites like IAAI.com, Copart and Crankyape for salvage units where I could buy them on the cheap for spare engine and other parts. If my mods were not eating motors at any given time they were giving out free parts to trees and rocks. Ride it like you stole it.

Premium Features