• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overheat Issues - 2022 Expert Turbo Short Tunnel

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
I do not recall where I saw it (maybe here somewhere) but it was scratchers mounted on the inside of the spindles (which would sit on top of the edge of the ski when not in use) . The point being that they would scratch and kick snow up AHEAD of the track/tunnel providing snow to the heat exchangers where the scratchers on the skid mostly provide cooling/lube to the hyrax wit limited snow reaching the heat exchangers.
If that is the case ,why do they mount them on the rail from the factory ;)

If you spent between $18-20,000 on a machine ,what is another couple hundred bucks to keep it cool.The factory could easily add it to the price but every oz. counts in the mountain wars on weight, and if you cook your engine for some reason that gives you a chance to fight with the factory on a warranty claim.It is all good ,like i previously stated Norona owns the one that doesn't overheat.I ride in several different parts of the west and almost every time have to use a trail and this year just happens to be a very tough go with the snow.A snow flap and over the top scratchers cure a lot of evil.;)
I spent $23,000 on a top of the line machine that can’t get up the mountain on the trails because the motor wants to melt down. It’s like buying an airplane that performs with the best of them in the sky but can’t take off or maybe a high performance sports car that’s unstoppable on the track but won’t idle. A machine needs to complete its job from ignition on to ignition off in my opinion. Cheating spec sheets by omitting necessary equipment for proper vehicle operation is a shady business practice.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I spent $23,000 on a top of the line machine that can’t get up the mountain on the trails because the motor wants to melt down. It’s like buying an airplane that performs with the best of them in the sky but can’t take off or maybe a high performance sports car that’s unstoppable on the track but won’t idle. A machine needs to complete its job from ignition on to ignition off in my opinion. Cheating spec sheets by omitting necessary equipment for proper vehicle operation is a shady business practice.
Either buy a 2000 summit or get a onion sack for free problem solved either way

C
Mar 15, 2018
Yeah here in the Rockies of Alberta & British Columbia there is no riding the mountains without a trail up and a trail down. Tough pull in the mountains if your engine is destroyed by overheating just to get there.
Yup, that is where I ride as well. NEVER had a cooling issue on the trail with my 2014 XM 163 but I do with my 2022 165. To be fair I have not had the chance to REALLY try out my new sled but talking to the guys that have, I don't think I would trade the short tunnel for the better cooling on the trail. However, also to be fair, I have not had the chance to ride this machine on a long trail like Chappel or Kakwa (though I don't ride kaka just have been told that the trail is LOOOOOONG) but the Polaris guys have been fighting cooling issues for quite a few years and they seem to get along OK. On the few rides that I have been on, my new sled runs similar temps to my sons 2015 Assault. In the past, he would get hot with the scratchers down and I would not get hot without the scratchers with my XM. I suspect that the new short/tapered tunnels that Polaris run are even worse than the old Pro chassis and it was worse than the XM. Perhaps we are just spoiled

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
It all depends on the snow conditions in the area you are riding, early this season I didn't even have to use the scratchers at all. With the unusual icy/ hard & low / little to no snow for weeks that many riders are having to deal with, its not hard to figure out what is needed to keep your sled cool, like extra scratchers venting to help expel the heat, snow flap, as others have said a empty tunnel will transfer more heat than one that is completely full of stuff.

Many people around here have decided to quit riding unless it snows!
Summits are called deep snow sleds for a reason ;)

S
Mar 17, 2008
let’ See, Us older shedders have seen this issue many times in various snow conditions over our riding careers. Unless you only ride on powder days and a perfect trail. It’s up to You to keep your sled cooled, and we all know what that mean’s. But we want longer tracks, more horsepower, longer lugs, less weight, shorter tunnels, less coolers, and my favourite one of all….NO SNOWFLAP!! Stop passing The blame. There is a reason trail sleds are designed the way they are. If you buy a mountain Sled today you better be watching your temp gauge on the trail or in hard conditions all the time. And be ready to react when the time comes or it’s not going end well. Ride safe.

let’ See, Us older shedders have seen this issue many times in various snow conditions over our riding careers. Unless you only ride on powder days and a perfect trail. It’s up to You to keep your sled cooled, and we all know what that mean’s. But we want longer tracks, more horsepower, longer lugs, less weight, shorter tunnels, less coolers, and my favourite one of all….NO SNOWFLAP!! Stop passing The blame. There is a reason trail sleds are designed the way they are. If you buy a mountain Sled today you better be watching your temp gauge on the trail or in hard conditions all the time. And be ready to react when the time comes or it’s not going end well. Ride safe.
Passing the blame hey. So it’s my fault I guess ?‍♂️ I created this thread with this in mind as I stated in the original post “Just looking for some insight through others experiences.” Just wanted some productive back and forth.

If individuals have nothing productive to say or any technical knowledge of the situation. Your input is not productive.

Again I’ve been a Red Seal Journeyman Mechanic of 17 years. I enjoy getting technical and solving problems. Guys with no mechanical or technical experience offer unjustified opinions and onion sack comments are useless to me. Increasing cooling efficiency of a machine and reducing heat generation are viable answered. I’ve ridden up trails with no jerry and no tunnel bag. No difference in cooling performance. So again that’s not a technical consideration that’s a opinion. If anyone wants to spend 20K+ to carry an onion sack around… by all means feel free.

Some of you are awesome and give productive feedback and greatly appreciate that. The rest can keep moving. Please go and keyboard warrior the in experienced minds in this forum all you want. I respect experience but as any one should realize not all experience is good experience. Not how life works.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I have a 2008 Summit as well. Purchased the 2022 850 turbo for a purpose. And an onion sack is a band aid fix for an actual problem Bahaha. I’m a professional journeyman mechanic of 17 years. I don’t patch. I fix. You do you though ?
Well maybe you should tell skidoo how they should cool there sleds on frozen spring hard pack with your journeyman mechanic geniusness. I don't care what you ride in spring all 800 or bigger sleds overheats until you get up to the goods.

Well maybe you should tell skidoo how they should cool there sleds on frozen spring hard pack with your journeyman mechanic geniusness. I don't care what you ride in spring all 800 or bigger sleds overheats until you get up to the goods.
This is not spring riding… I think you missed the ship on this thread. It’s all year from Dec to April these things will overheat. If you had one you’d probably know. Thanks for your input though. Always appreciate a good cage rattle.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
This is not spring riding… I think you missed the ship on this thread. It’s all year from Dec to April these things will overheat. If you had one you’d probably know. Thanks for your input though. Always appreciate a good cage rattle.
I do have a 22 and instead of bitching about overheating on a forum I fill my sack full of snow that gets me to the goods without overheating. If you don't want to take the advise on how not to overheat take your bitching else where cause I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of listening to a journeyman mechanic not take advise and shut up.

I do have a 22 and instead of bitching about overheating on a forum I fill my sack full of snow that gets me to the goods without overheating. If you don't want to take the advise on how not to overheat take your bitching else where cause I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of listening to a journeyman mechanic not take advise and shut up.
Well Mr. Testy enjoy your riding. Wish nothing but the best for you!

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Couple of things I’ve noticed over the years. On my Arctic cat identical sled as my cousin ridding together. I would run cooler on the trail with no snow flap vs my cousin with a snow flap. I filled my coolant bottle all the way to the top and let it push out what it didn’t need. He had his where it was filled from factory.

Also ran ski scratchers on a T3 which helped over just rail scratchers.

Speed has the biggest effect. Normally run 60-70 km/hr on the trail, slower and it heats up, don’t like going faster with the gen 4 track. I’m not convinced a snow flap helps unless it’s dragging on the ground.

When my expert does heat up I chainsaw it in and spin the track off and on at low rpm. Then carry on my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Thats nonsense. my 2014 Summit never overheated once. Sold it to a buddy still doesn't overheat and my 2022 lynx is constantly overheating. Its the snowflap or lack there of from what I can tell ( that weird little thing on the lynx doesn't work ). I think I'm just going to get a chunk of plastic from home depot or something and strap it on as a snowflap for this crap snow this season has been.

There is no "goods" to get to this year its all frigging ice/**** snow. its snowed 3 times this entire winter.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Thats nonsense. my 2014 Summit never overheated once. Sold it to a buddy still doesn't overheat and my 2022 lynx is constantly overheating. Its the snowflap or lack there of from what I can tell ( that weird little thing on the lynx doesn't work ). I think I'm just going to get a chunk of plastic from home depot or something and strap it on as a snowflap for this crap snow this season has been.

There is no "goods" to get to this year its all frigging ice/**** snow. its snowed 3 times this entire winter.
Yeah absolutely no good snow anywhere maybe you should have got a Backcountry 600 my buddy's wife hasn't overheated all year and yes this is in Washington

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_132627649.jpg
    IMG_20220305_132627649.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220305_132605592.jpg
    IMG_20220305_132605592.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220305_132600862.jpg
    IMG_20220305_132600862.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220305_131053565.jpg
    IMG_20220305_131053565.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
C
Mar 15, 2018

Here is how I see it (right or wrong). These machines are quite specialized. If people want cooling on a hard pack, buy a trail sled. If you want deep snow performance, get a mountain sled. I don't think it is practical to expect a sled designed for a specific type of riding to be perfect at another. Kind of like buying a 1/4 mile dragster and complaining that it sucks driving it to the track. If I am not mistaken, you still CAN get a mountain sled that says cool on the trail. I THINK the Summit SP still comes with the long tunnel and snow flap. For the 2023 snowchck guys, maybe you can talk to your dealer and order your sled with a track one length longer than you want and trade the skid/track for the shorter version (buy a 165 and put a 155 skid under it) giving you a full length tunnel. Maybe the SP STILL comes with the long tunnel and flap IDK. If so, that would be the solution. Point is that you can NOT have a full blown mountain sled with trail sled manners. They are NOT the same animal

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Here is how I see it (right or wrong). These machines are quite specialized. If people want cooling on a hard pack, buy a trail sled. If you want deep snow performance, get a mountain sled. I don't think it is practical to expect a sled designed for a specific type of riding to be perfect at another. Kind of like buying a 1/4 mile dragster and complaining that it sucks driving it to the track. If I am not mistaken, you still CAN get a mountain sled that says cool on the trail. I THINK the Summit SP still comes with the long tunnel and snow flap. For the 2023 snow check guys, maybe you can talk to your dealer and order your sled with a track one length longer than you want and trade the skid/track for the shorter version (buy a 165 and put a 155 skid under it) giving you a full length tunnel. Maybe the SP STILL comes with the long tunnel and flap IDK. If so, that would be the solution. Point is that you can NOT have a full blown mountain sled with trail sled manners. They are NOT the same animal
Well said (y)

Premium Features