• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain side spindles

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Nice product, thanks for the hat also mountain side.

Green is pretty close match to the 17/18 mountain cat spindle color.

On machine, stock left Mtn. Side right. They look a lot taller when sled is on ground.

BBC6DDD7-C246-456E-B7AA-58AD97F5376B.jpeg F4DADC30-9351-4247-9537-B7E40333B420.jpeg

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Do the handlebars and skis stay neutral when you roll the sled up on edge with the new spindles, or do they want to turn just a little as you pull it over and let it back down?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
ill have to go see now that im back from work. gotaa check ski alignment first.
they definetly make sled feel more tall/narrow. I always iked the cat spindles cuz they dont hold any snow. Hard to justify parts that add weight. Especially really expensive ones. Was pleasanty suprised to find these dont "feel" any heavier than stock. My crappy luggage scale showed a couple more ounces if i read it right. Nothing basically. Could make them lighter than stock by drilling some holes through the flat surfaces. We'll see how much snow wants to stick to the insides. I liked the 1.5" rise over the 2" the others are doing because Im leaving the skid alone. maybe crank up the FTS a little. Had thought about trying the lower mounting holes until I saw just how much pressure is on the rail tips already. If youve got a twin rail with some miles on it, check your anti stab axle peeps, mine was shot. Green loctite the bearings on.
Ill check what youre suggesting boondocker, i pulled the SLP skis back to rear mount holes too, so not sure if that affects things. I chopped a lot of the hood fat off this year, the balance point is moved back a hair i believe, not so front heavy like a cat.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I think only the ice age are a full 2". Just got the BMP backwoods spindles, they look 1/2" or more lower than the ice age. Ill mount them this week and compare the two. If they are I might drop my back rear skid back to the stock hole.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^BMP's website says 2", its a little hard to spot, right under the price. they look light, interested to see your comparisons. https://www.backwoodsbmp.com/product-page/arctic-cat-highmark-spindles-pre-order
would like to see the weight of the TKI/riot setup too. Far as i can tell skis and bars stay neutral pulling machine over. Another thing i notice is they dont stick out as far as round stock spindles. adds to the tucked in feel. you can see what i mean in that pic with the stock one on the left.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
cool, so mountain side are about the 1.5 as advertised, bmp 1.75 and ice age 2" then.
i rode yesterday, immediately threw 15 pounds more air in FTS main chamber, than another 10. much better after that. Almost a 50% increase in "preload" as i ran before. hard to tell if i should go even a little more, riding a foot of dry powder over jeep ruts, i was all over the place. I also have 1/4" homemade spacers under my SLP saddles that probably dont need to be there now. also thinking going back to stock 4.5" riser whereas the 5.5 was perfect before.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
cool, so mountain side are about the 1.5 as advertised, bmp 1.75 and ice age 2" then.
i rode yesterday, immediately threw 15 pounds more air in FTS main chamber, than another 10. much better after that. Almost a 50% increase in "preload" as i ran before. hard to tell if i should go even a little more, riding a foot of dry powder over jeep ruts, i was all over the place. I also have 1/4" homemade spacers under my SLP saddles that probably dont need to be there now. also thinking going back to stock 4.5" riser whereas the 5.5 was perfect before.
Funny you should mention the riser height. I was running a 5.5" riser on my proclimb and on my new sled with the riot spindles the 4.5" feels good. I suppose raising the front of the sled a little pushes the bars up/back some.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
just to follow up, i really been enjoying these in the powder so far. better sidehilling. Less of the arctic cat dive. pump up FTS is all thats needed if you try some. I think theyd be great on an alpha as well.

R
Sep 14, 2009
POW CITY
I think only the ice age are a full 2". Just got the BMP backwoods spindles, they look 1/2" or more lower than the ice age. Ill mount them this week and compare the two. If they are I might drop my back rear skid back to the stock hole.
Hey CO 2 have you had a chance to compare the two spindles (backwoods vs iceage) on the snow? Pros cons?

Thanks

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I feel the bmp steered easier. But they are weaker. I bent one last weekend, but didn't bend the lower a arm. With ice age the a arm bends first. Other than those things, it's hard to tell a difference in performance. Probably negligible. Might be different in stiffer snow, if was deep out.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Interested in opinions on whether just doing the raised spindles on a 17 mountain cat gets a meaningful improvement? I have a 17 as a backup sled and a sled my college age kids ride. They prefer the spare Axys, especially my daughter as it steers more easily and gets on edge more easily and just sidehills better. I like the old suzuki reliability so I would like to keep it around for this use and have been tempted by the iceage elevate kit but hadn't considered just doing spindles only. Any thoughts?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^Im here to tell ya it was a meaningful improvement for me. go with Mtn. side or ZRP on a stock skid. bump the FTS up and lower the ski shocks if you like it rolly-polly.

R
Sep 14, 2009
POW CITY
I feel the bmp steered easier. But they are weaker. I bent one last weekend, but didn't bend the lower a arm. With ice age the a arm bends first. Other than those things, it's hard to tell a difference in performance. Probably negligible. Might be different in stiffer snow, if was deep out.
Awesome
Thanks for the response!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm gonna take back what I said on steering. I rode my sled today with an ice age spindle on one side and BMP on the other. The ice age spindle steered easier. It's a better setup. I was putting the sled on one ski and flipping the steering back and forth in pow and doing turns. The BMP felt harder to steer when it had weight on it

R
Sep 14, 2009
POW CITY
I'm gonna take back what I said on steering. I rode my sled today with an ice age spindle on one side and BMP on the other. The ice age spindle steered easier. It's a better setup. I was putting the sled on one ski and flipping the steering back and forth in pow and doing turns. The BMP felt harder to steer when it had weight on it
Yea I also feel the BMP spindles make for a "heavy" steering and less playful front end even with playing with shock pressures.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Did you not like them Clark?
I like the raised front. The shorter bar riser is a must after raising.

5416E18C-6DB5-4CAE-94AE-C7D45CE475FF.jpeg

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
They belong to a friend of mine! He had purchased them for his sled, but life happened and he is offloading his machine and equipment. I ended up doing the ice age kit on my ride, and I really enjoy it! Worked out great in this last weekend's cascade concrete haha

Premium Features