• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backwoods Highmark Spindles

R
Sep 14, 2009
POW CITY
Does anyone have any info (experience) with these spindles and suspension set up ? If so how did they perform/ Compared to others ie Iceage bar code?

www.backwoodsbmp.com

Arctic Cat Highmark Spindles | home

NOW INTRODUCING The Backwoods Highmark Spindle series ORDERS WILL BEGIN SHIPPING October 20th Designed to revamp the riding style of Arctic cat snowmobiles, The BackwoodsBMP Highmark series is a product line to experience. After installing these spindles you can immediately see and feel the...
www.backwoodsbmp.com
www.backwoodsbmp.com

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Very interesting. Look lighter than ice age. Wonder how strong they are. One thing I'd like to know is if they steer lighter than ice age. Cause Ice age steers harder than stock. Have been thinking of trying to find a solution to extend the tie rod mounting point on my ice age spindles...

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I’d like to see a weight on them compared to stick. I know my Iceage spindles were a little heavier than stock. I don’t think these lift as much as the Iceage, that’s were Iceage gets some of its weight, the 2” extra length.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Very interesting. Look lighter than ice age. Wonder how strong they are. One thing I'd like to know is if they steer lighter than ice age. Cause Ice age steers harder than stock. Have been thinking of trying to find a solution to extend the tie rod mounting point on my ice age spindles...

I slid the front track shock just a tad rearward on my rails to raise it up just a little more. Fixes what you're describing. I sold the sled so can't show you what I'm talking about but I also had to beef up the bumpers a little to raise the bottom out point so it wasn't bottoming the shock.

R
Sep 14, 2009
POW CITY
I’d like to see a weight on them compared to stick. I know my Iceage spindles were a little heavier than stock. I don’t think these lift as much as the Iceage, that’s were Iceage gets some of its weight, the 2” extra length.
Backwoods told me there lift was also 2" at the bulkhead which would be the same lift as the iceage spindle. I would like to know if they are the same length.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Backwoods told me there lift was also 2" at the bulkhead which would be the same lift as the iceage spindle. I would like to know if they are the same length.
Pretty sure I saw somewhere they posted with 1.5" or 1.25" added length from the ball joint to the ski mount, but I'm wrong. Says 2" taller on the website. Wonder weight compared to stock spindle, they look like they could be about same weight as stock.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i dont see where they list the length. I know 'Mtn. Side' spindles raises 1.5". Was thinking that would be better for leaving the skid position alone. Then again, if ya end up dropping the skid anyways, then 2" probably best.
on the weight, whichever one packs the least snow in them.
Almost looks like the old geometry upper a-arm in that first backwoods pic...

R
Sep 14, 2009
POW CITY
Sooooo I was going to go a head and guinea these spindles. The time from ordering to actually shipping was 4+ weeks. On check out with no special shippimg was 92$. plus possible another 2 weeks to ship! Dont know if I can wait that long and with tax I would be pretty close to the cost of the iceage elevate kit and I still have to source a longer limiter strap for the backwoods spindles,,,,.
Iceage Elevate in stock ready to ship at no etra cost. :confused:

BigSkyRider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 17, 2011
MT
Does anyone else have steering stops to protect from over-stressing a steering system like Elevate or any other OEM? Sure helps reduce blown-out steering bushings and bent tie rods.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Sooooo I was going to go a head and guinea these spindles. The time from ordering to actually shipping was 4+ weeks. On check out with no special shippimg was 92$. plus possible another 2 weeks to ship! Dont know if I can wait that long and with tax I would be pretty close to the cost of the iceage elevate kit and I still have to source a longer limiter strap for the backwoods spindles,,,,.
Iceage Elevate in stock ready to ship at no etra cost. :confused:
I have a strap from the elevate kit you can have

R

racin_jayson

Sep 19, 2009
Whitehorse YT
I put a set of highmark spindles on my 2020 alpha hardcore and I can honestly say that they are absolutely horrible. The steering effort is insane and the bump steer that these spindles induce is downright dangerous, I really tried to make them work with a good ski alignment, different rear shock springs and preload settings and I've even tried some different front springs but nothing helped. I compared my sled with these spindles side by side with an alpha with ice age spindles and the differences are quite obvious, the caster angle is different, and the tie rod attachment is quite different. The sled with the ice age spindles handles great, but mine with the Backwoods spindles is nearly unrideable. Maybe someone else has had better luck than me but this has been my experience. 2 rides on these and they are going in the trash, never have I been more disappointed with a snowmobile product.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Nope I had the same exact experience last weekend. Bump Steer is what I noticed most. And I had and ice age on one side and BMP of the other side so I could really test it out. I had already bent a BMP spindle, thus why I had an ice age on the other side waiting for a replacement. After numerous phone calls and emails with no response after 3 weeks, I cancelled my replacement BMP order and ordered another set of ice age. They shipped them that day. Customer service with BMP is not good. I get that you might be super swamped, but you still need to get back to your customers if you want to run a successful business.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
so which way is the caster angle different then ice age or stock on these? any side by side pics?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The amount of trail is probably more important. You can't change the castor angle without making a change to the ball joint locations. Which requires a change to the arms. The offset and trail and can be adjusted by changing the location of the ski mount. In the diagram linked below think of the steering axis as the line through the ball joints, and the center hub of the front wheel being the bolt holding the ski on. This is also going to be affected by other things like depth of the ski keel and what has been done with raising and lowering the skid (head tube angle). And skis like SLP that have two mounting options forward and back allow for some adjustment as well. I know my Ice Age spindles gave more feedback with the powder pro skis in one mounting location vs another.

https://calfeedesign.com/geometry-of-bike-handling/

Does anyone else have steering stops to protect from over-stressing a steering system like Elevate or any other OEM? Sure helps reduce blown-out steering bushings and bent tie rods.
The OEM Cat Riot spindles have steering stops.

R
Sep 14, 2009
POW CITY
So far my experience with the highmark spindles is that it makes the steering feel heavy and the front end loose its playfulness . I ve been playing with track and front shock pressures but so far nothing has helped.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
The amount of trail is probably more important. You can't change the castor angle without making a change to the ball joint locations. Which requires a change to the arms. The offset and trail and can be adjusted by changing the location of the ski mount. In the diagram linked below think of the steering axis as the line through the ball joints, and the center hub of the front wheel being the bolt holding the ski on. This is also going to be affected by other things like depth of the ski keel and what has been done with raising and lowering the skid (head tube angle). And skis like SLP that have two mounting options forward and back allow for some adjustment as well. I know my Ice Age spindles gave more feedback with the powder pro skis in one mounting location vs another.
from the lower a-arm mount to the ski bolt, they could keep the spindle straight, curve it forward a bit, even curve back a hair right. that is what i am interested in in how these spindles compare. sounds like maybe some difference between ice age and bmp here, how else could they ride different? I think my shorter MountainSide's just extend straight 1.5". I was able to overcome the heavier steering for the most part with more FTS preload. Havent noticed any other ill affects. I dont think i would like stock skis at all with this set up though. that monster keel....

Premium Features