• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled TKI Belt Drive 2017-2021 any reviews?

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm not going to refute any data about how much hp it frees up but if you want to see if you can notice the difference you could throw on a set of non-oring chains for a day. I run the rk brand and it's less than $50. The Mx industry has assumed for 3 decades that it makes more power.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
it's amazing. I can spin the track with one hand when its up on the stand.... free wheeling on a down hill now requires brakes as the drag has been drastically reduced on the drivetrain. I also have the 2" larger rear wheels from Tom. You have to align the jack shaft to the axel on the kit before installing the belt drive... Tom has a youtube video on it. They come off plane from each other often out of the factory.

Does it get more horsepower to the ground? Absolutely... can you feel it? Not really... but it's so much more efficient on downhills that it has to be making a difference.

There is something far more beneficial about it though.... the throttle lag of two drive chains when on and off the gas is really reduced, and so is the vibration. That is worth the money alone for me. Then go to 15/18 gearing with the chain slider flipped over on the primary drive line and it's 1000% less vibration and input lag to the track. I'll never go back to the TS stock clunky nonsense after the silky connected feel I have now with the TKI and the primary chain modifications.. it's also 10% of the maintenance, it's always drum tight and needs no lube.

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Why would these fit a 2017 but not a 2016?

Aro wasn’t out until 2018. Are they just advertised wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I don't believe the 17 chain case dimensions are the same, nor the raw. Likely a misprint... But reach out tom at tki and ask. Phone is easiest, he's super helpful.

S
Nov 14, 2020
it's amazing. I can spin the track with one hand when its up on the stand.... free wheeling on a down hill now requires brakes as the drag has been drastically reduced on the drivetrain. I also have the 2" larger rear wheels from Tom. You have to align the jack shaft to the axel on the kit before installing the belt drive... Tom has a youtube video on it. They come off plane from each other often out of the factory.

Does it get more horsepower to the ground? Absolutely... can you feel it? Not really... but it's so much more efficient on downhills that it has to be making a difference.

There is something far more beneficial about it though.... the throttle lag of two drive chains when on and off the gas is really reduced, and so is the vibration. That is worth the money alone for me. Then go to 15/18 gearing with the chain slider flipped over on the primary drive line and it's 1000% less vibration and input lag to the track. I'll never go back to the TS stock clunky nonsense after the silky connected feel I have now with the TKI and the primary chain modifications.. it's also 10% of the maintenance, it's always drum tight and needs no lube.

I'm interested in the 15/18 gearing. I'll be running a riot 120 on a 500 and was curious if I should gear for more track speed and less torque. The bike comes with a 13t sprocket.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
TKI makes one to one even gearing on the belt drive. There isn't much variation you can do with that. 15/18 is very close to 13/16 that you have stock. The 500 ktm motor is a torque motor and doesn't Rev out as fast or high as a 450. The gear ratio is wide in the transmission also. I wouldn't worry too much about changing it. Run it stock to start. Try flipping the gears in the secondary drive on the riot. 18/17 is stock, try it 17/18. Decide which you prefer, if somewhere in the middle seems ideal, order another 17 or get the tki belt drive.

S
Sep 18, 2018
I posted a extremely scientific video a while ago.....check it out. (Note this was just for my own peace of mind and i wanted to do it)

My original post is on the "Timbersled, Yeti, everything Snowbike" Facebook page.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I have ridden identical 2023 ARO pro kits on identical bikes back to back. The only difference was one had a chain in the chaincase and the other had the timbersled QDT.

You can absolutely feel a difference between the two. The is a "more connected" feel between the bike and the track. when you accelerate/shift the engine feels more directly connected to the track.

One of the guys with the belt drive swears he has "more power" than he ever did before. I personally don't believe this, because the laws of physics just doesn't allow for a chain to rob the bike of a huge amount of power. I am biased though, because I run the chain.

I personally believe the chain is more reliable and easier to replace if it fails in the mountains (a belt is hard to carry and take care of). I ride more confidently with the chain and that works for me.

I do like the way the belt feels better. Its a smoother feel and more connected. Its just not enough for me to spend the money and have something that is possibly less reliable.

Another factor to consider is that the belt cover is huge and blocky. One of the above mentioned friends caught his foot on a tree and his heel "stuck" against the big belt cover. His foot dislocated outwards and it was nasty. One in a million situation for sure - but it happened.

S
Nov 14, 2020
I have ridden identical 2023 ARO pro kits on identical bikes back to back. The only difference was one had a chain in the chaincase and the other had the timbersled QDT.

You can absolutely feel a difference between the two. The is a "more connected" feel between the bike and the track. when you accelerate/shift the engine feels more directly connected to the track.

One of the guys with the belt drive swears he has "more power" than he ever did before. I personally don't believe this, because the laws of physics just doesn't allow for a chain to rob the bike of a huge amount of power. I am biased though, because I run the chain.

I personally believe the chain is more reliable and easier to replace if it fails in the mountains (a belt is hard to carry and take care of). I ride more confidently with the chain and that works for me.

I do like the way the belt feels better. Its a smoother feel and more connected. Its just not enough for me to spend the money and have something that is possibly less reliable.

Another factor to consider is that the belt cover is huge and blocky. One of the above mentioned friends caught his foot on a tree and his heel "stuck" against the big belt cover. His foot dislocated outwards and it was nasty. One in a million situation for sure - but it happened.
Chain weighs a bit more so it's more mass to spool up and down. I think the belts have less rolling resistance as well.

I carry a spare belt and chain in my tunnel bag. Doesn't seem all that difficult to carry a belt. If anything it's less weight I have to move around when I pick up the bike.

A
Nov 14, 2017
The chain weight is pretty negligible when you think about everything you are turning in that driveline. I am skeptical that the difference is something a human could feel. That said - my buddies tell me they can feel a difference. I personally could not feel a power difference when climbing a hill back to back with the two bikes.

Yeah you can carry a spare, but you cant just stuff it into a box with other stuff bouncing around or fold it up. It needs to be handled with care. My spare chain is just at the bottom of my tunnel bag taking up very little space.

Premium Features