• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garage sled storage.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Looking for some options. I bought my house two years ago, it was built in 2012 and was a vacation place, very little use. The garage floor was perfect. We ride from the house 90% of the time, so I needed to figure out how to park/store sleds without f-ing up the concrete. Sleds literally in and out 5 or more times a week. Years ago I bought a sled from a guy who had a HUGE garage, he had glides mounted to the floor. But they were screwed in to the concrete. Kinda what I was looking to avoid, concrete damage. So a year ago I glued glides down with the best thing that I could find, it was in a tube and said that it adheres to concrete and pvc. I glued 32 glides down. Worked well until they got super wet and I spilled some gas on them, then some of them popped back up.
So me and Tater just pulled all of them back up, scraped all the glue off of the floor, and are in the middle of gluing them back down. Dollies aren't an option, too big of a pain when pulling in with 4 sleds in the middle of the night. Plus there is some concrete carbide damage from using the garage when some of the glides were up already. Need to cover that up.
I am gluing them back down now with epoxy. It is the tabletop stuff that I used to refinish our coffee table. Neat stuff. I am hoping that this is a permanent solution, but if it doesn't work.....Has anyone done anything similar and what method did you use to fix the glides to the concrete?

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
You could just screw it down to some marine grade plywood. then it would be there solidly and removable when you take the crews out.

Just a suggestion. brain storming here..

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
bunch of guys here seem to like floor tiles like swisstrax for their trailers. You would have to buy enough to do the whole floor, but should work well and not have to worry about damaging the floor or gluing things to it.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i think like others said you could screw the glides to some good plywood and link the plywood with 2x4s or something. could anchor the thing to the back wall of the garage so no drilling in the floor or to keep drilling to a minimum put one anchor in the floor. put the plywood the long way for one row or flipp it the wide way to make side by side parking.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm guessing the slip on plastic ski boots are more hassle than what you want as well? That's what I use in my garage. After doing tiles in my trailer that would be next on my list for a garage option.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
landscape, deck lattice. would work better screwed to wood. friend does this in his trailer. works well, cost effective.

in my opinion, unless it is painted or epoxied... it is a garage, and concrete. just ride them in. the damage is already done with the ones that moved, and the adhesive you laid down. your results may vary, not trying to insult you. I have a similar situation... I just ride in, and put them on ski/track dollies. roll them to an ice, snow covered spot, on the way out, and go. Ski

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Heavy Marine carpet is cheaper than horse mats but essentially the same thing. Can be found in 1/2 to 3/4 thickness. Best trailer flooring I’ve ever had. Fibers move to the side of carbides instead of cutting. Only damage I had in six years was an asphalt run to load across a tight parking lot that heated carbides, melted lines in where we parked it. Wasn’t best move all around.

Mine was cheaper than spray liner and awesome to camp with.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Cheapest option is as suggested above, seeing as it is just a garage……

Go to Home Depot and buy one of their buckets and a marker. The next part is important.

1. Write Bucket across the top with the marker to avoid mishandling.

2. When you get home cross out the B and replace with an F.

3. Pour entire contents of newly labeled product in center of floor.

4. Grab dinner and immediately after your garage floor can be used as desired.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
0U9A0927_e2d38384-f67d-47a4-961a-25b0d2569a97_800x[1].jpg

Protecting the concrete floor is easy enough.
Lots of others have given you plenty of solutions.
BUT
None of those solutions address the WATER RETENTION issue very well that dragging 4 snowloaded sleds into your garage creates.

You need to protect the concrete AND provide it an easy way to DRY OFF..

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Those tiles sure look good but how do you (or don’t you) clean out all the dirt, etc, that falls thru the tiles?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
what about ditch the carbides...I have since 20 years ago...one set of regular skidoo rods lasts a season or so....25$ a set so cheap...and they work just fine...we ride pow, not rivers...not sure about you??
Need them to steer on the roads to get to the lake. A lot of the time it is bare asphalt.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
View attachment 377800

Protecting the concrete floor is easy enough.
Lots of others have given you plenty of solutions.
BUT
None of those solutions address the WATER RETENTION issue very well that dragging 4 snowloaded sleds into your garage creates.

You need to protect the concrete AND provide it an easy way to DRY OFF..
Yup. And my driveway is 3/4-. The amount of dirt that comes in on sleds in the spring is ridiculous.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
what about ditch the carbides...I have since 20 years ago...one set of regular skidoo rods lasts a season or so....25$ a set so cheap...and they work just fine...we ride pow, not rivers...not sure about you??
I ride out my garage, 4 miles across lake, to a groomer 4 miles, then off trail all day. Also need them on the lake at times and the trail at times.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I like how they turned out. They are sealed so no water/dirt can get under, super easy to get home at night, hit the garage door opener in a truck, drive sleds in, walk in the house. Plus the garage is still usable for parking trucks, it is our main entrance for walking, etc. Thanks for the suggestions though, appreciate it.

010.JPG 011.JPG

Premium Features