• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

skinz heated brake lever

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Zaasman, how did you find the oem style connectors? Mouser electronics catalog is massive! I too would like to be able to return the sled to stock easily.

Yeah, Mouser is great when you know the part numbers you‘re after, lol

The connectors are Delphi Metri-Pack 150 series, if that helps. I have the part numbers somewhere, I can try dig them out for you tomorrow if you like. Though the 850s I believe use different connectors, but I don’t have an 850.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I am a bit disappointed as I was curious how the PWM controller would work. Maybe I'll try one out any way.

I was curious about this too and in fact have a test PWM setup powering the lever on my bench right now... it certainly works!

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, Mouser is great when you know the part numbers you‘re after, lol

The connectors are Delphi Metri-Pack 150 series, if that helps. I have the part numbers somewhere, I can try dig them out for you tomorrow if you like. Though the 850s I believe use different connectors, but I don’t have an 850.
thanks for the series name. Looks different than what I have under the hood of my Axys 800. Haven't looked at the 850 yet. Might be easier to use the PWM at this point.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Not Skinz but I did try a PWM with a DIY heated brake lever. Started with a TKI aluminum lever for smaller hands. The Aluminum lever got so cold last season that it was very difficult to keep a finger on the brake lever while wearing thinner gloves.

I added a 12w heating element, heat shrink over that, controlled by a PWM purchased on amazon. Less than $100 total plus a few hours of time. Hopefully the heat shrink holds up with repeated heat cool cycles and doesn't interfere too much with heat transfer. I suppose I could try one leaving the heating element exposed so as not to insulate the lever.

I'll probably wire the skinz with a PWM as well now that I know it works and am not finding connectors for the 850.
IMG_0926 copy.jpgIMG_0927.jpeg

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Not Skinz but I did try a PWM with a DIY heated brake lever.

Nice clean install! That should work well. I'd be interested to hear how it goes once the season's under way.

...am not finding connectors for the 850.

Re. connectors, the ones I mentioned a few posts up are used on 600/800s, sorry. For 850s have a look at Delphi Weather-Pack Sealed series (12020829/12020827). I'm not positive on those, as I don't have an 850 to look at.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Nice clean install! That should work well. I'd be interested to hear how it goes once the season's under way.

Re. connectors, the ones I mentioned a few posts up are used on 600/800s, sorry. For 850s have a look at Delphi Weather-Pack Sealed series (12020829/12020827). I'm not positive on those, as I don't have an 850 to look at.
Thanks. Will do. I'm definitely excited to see how well it works.

No worries. I wasn't clear... I am working on both 800 and 850s.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
PWMs work well. Probably over-complicates things, however. A simple on-off switch would suffice.
I have set up two skinz levers and the one TKI with PWMs. I haven't had enough riding time this season due to this horrible dry spell, but my use so far has been more on vs off, rather than somewhere in the middle.

If doing a solid aluminum lever (like TKI) again I would apply the element to the back of the lever without the heat shrink to see how well it holds up. That and a simple on-off switch would make the project simpler even less expensive.

In the event the amazon link for the elements fails, they are called...
"12V 12W Flexible Polyimide Heater Plate Adhesive PI Heating Film 10mm x 93mm"

Premium Features