• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why is the Matryx so heavy?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
By the part numbers it looks like there's a new throttle body for 2022 850s. Injector numbers haven't changed.

Here's where I found it (can't link directly to model, but Pro RMK Matryx Slash is in there):

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Haha, True... sort of. They did know how, up until the arrival of the XP I think. So it's more like they forgot...

They might think that a crappy recoil will balance the crappy secondary on the other side of the sled. "Balanced uselessness" or something.
(and before any faithful Doo-fans rip my throat out, I currently have a Lynx 850 and have a Doo 600 on order so I know pretty much what I'm talking about)
That crappy recoil has been almost the same and interchangeable since they dropped the metal one in 99/2000. I can't even remember how many I had to rebuild in the early 2000's. Well, until the 850. But same thing, 1/3 of my 850 sled recoils have failed.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
What’s interesting, most of the 2022 parts are already listed. Except boost.
The NA 2022 ignition parts, as of last weeks posting, are identical to the MY2021.
Unless there is a 2022 running change, I’m not looking forward to an updated system right now. Maybe it’s a supplier issue. But ......
From what I have been told from guys who rode it, it is because the Boost isn't figured out yet. Clutching/odd running/? Can't post part numbers if they don't know what parts to use.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
That crappy recoil has been almost the same and interchangeable since they dropped the metal one in 99/2000. I can't even remember how many I had to rebuild in the early 2000's. Well, until the 850. But same thing, 1/3 of my 850 sled recoils have failed.
I will sneak some BRP tech tips in here ;)
I took the silencer off and taped the recoil with reflective tape first thing I got the sled home, have been running it 3 seasons without problems since, (recoil start only on my sled). So it seems the problem, or at least a big part of it, is heat. Keep heat away from the recoil and it will live longer.

On the Boost. It will be interesting to se how the production Boosts will run. I've had several Polaris sleds over the years and a fair number of them has been... well lets say less entertaining, than the strong running non EPA approved pre production sleds that were demoed the spring before. I truly hope they run well, there is nothing better for all of us, regardless of what sled we ride, than an OEM bringing out a fantastic sled! Competition results in progress!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
^ Yup, I suspect the same thing about pre-production sleds. There's a good argument that the demo sleds for the rollout of a new chassis or big update are built better than the average sled off the line. I'd be pleasantly surprised if guys who've rode both can't tell any difference, but I'm betting Polaris works hard to make it perform like the demo sleds. How close they get on that, or how durable the turbo setup proves to be, is anybody's guess at this point. The 850 wasn't perfect out of the gate, but hardly a disaster (especially with the fixes for '20); not sure if the turbo is an "easier" project or not... I've been following (and riding) Polaris long enough that I wouldn't bet on a grand slam, but I'd say pretty good chance of a home run.

Last edited:

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Not making any predictions but 9lbs of boost on pump gas at 10,000' is ambitious. And even if production is the same, those demo sleds are getting checked over as soon as anything comes up and looked over after every ride and any potential issues are likely getting full diagnostics and addressed before anything catastrophic happens. Consumers aren't like that, especially on a big pow weekend on a warranty sled. All that said, I really hope it works because I want a 2023 165' Boost to go with my 155" NA Slash.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I took the silencer off and taped the recoil with reflective tape first thing I got the sled home, have been running it 3 seasons without problems since, (recoil start only on my sled). So it seems the problem, or at least a big part of it, is heat. Keep heat away from the recoil and it will live longer.

On the Boost. It will be interesting to se how the production Boosts will run. I've had several Polaris sleds over the years and a fair number of them has been... well lets say less entertaining, than the strong running non EPA approved pre production sleds that were demoed the spring before. I truly hope they run well, there is nothing better for all of us, regardless of what sled we ride, than an OEM bringing out a fantastic sled! Competition results in progress!
That is true, I remember that now. Heat tape.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
^ Yup, I suspect the same thing about pre-production sleds. There's a good argument that the demo sleds for the rollout of a new chassis or big update are built better than the average sled off the line. I'd be pleasantly surprised if guys who've rode both can't tell any difference, but I'm betting Polaris works hard to make it perform like the demo sleds. How close they get on that, or how durable the turbo setup proves to be, is anybody's guess at this point. The 850 wasn't perfect out of the gate, but hardly a disaster (especially with the fixes for '20); not sure if the turbo is an "easier" project or not... I've been following (and riding) Polaris long enough that I wouldn't bet on a grand slam, but I'd say pretty good chance of a home run.
I remember in 01 or 02 at Arctic Man in Alaska, Polaris had demos. I rode a sled, probably a 136 or close. Actually, it was probably a 121. I was SOOO impressed with how fast and snappy it was for an 800 at altitude. When I gave it back, I looked at the hood, it was a 600. That was the year that they got caught demo-ing modded sleds as stock. It had had head work done.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana

Lol my 670 and even my 96 sls 500 both have zip ties holding the recoil starters on hahaha

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Not making any predictions but 9lbs of boost on pump gas at 10,000' is ambitious. And even if production is the same, those demo sleds are getting checked over as soon as anything comes up and looked over after every ride and any potential issues are likely getting full diagnostics and addressed before anything catastrophic happens. Consumers aren't like that, especially on a big pow weekend on a warranty sled. All that said, I really hope it works because I want a 2023 165' Boost to go with my 155" NA Slash.
Probably so. I do on my turbo rigs or "mods" for the most part. This is and has been one of the biggest issues with turbo sleds in general. Guys with no business riding a turbo mod treating it like a $2 *****. To an extent I intend to "abuse" my snow check via hard riding but not in terms of maintenance or upkeep.

Some more pics possibly not shared yet? Stoked on that color combo too
3372b7352a3a34f7741b4fdf3eddab15.jpg
aed23aaff74c5e9ea1f48231ff96eb5a.jpg
a95f6434efb902c841114436d2f1a89e.jpg
3150ec0cc4658dd2a8107c088920d93d.jpg
13c7772842885d4deedc7488091cdca2.jpg
f4cbf350a6ef44aff07f0ace6f5871fa.jpg
94e50e10eb740ca41f0c690d8d1e781b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID

I just re-read this and remembered: I have not had a problem with an 850 recoil on any sled that had an HPS can on. It was all with stock cans. Hmmm..Good point.

Premium Features