• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 Expert 34 Inch Front End Thoughts

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
a cheaper route may be offset spindles if anyone makes those for skidoos.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
are you saying Dave is incorrect about just needing uppers and tie rods in your above post or are you referring to something else?
if so that adds another 330 according to the parts fiche that i used for the above calculation. i'm considering doing it to my 2022 Freeride but maybe not if the lowers are also required. we'll see as i'm saving a small fortune in parts/accessories by transferring them to the new sled.
According to Dave Narona, you need uppers and lowers, plus the tie rods. That's gotta run $600+ just for parts?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
yep i was confused abut what was needed. regarding cost, it's quite a bit and like so many other things. it would be great to ride one first and then decide. i'm all for making turns easier to initiate though.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
At first I thought this might be not good for Doo as the bodywork is so wide but as Dave says, you won't need to tip it over as far to find the balance point. In addition when on one ski, and counter-steering the skis are more likely to be packing the snow in front of the track so there is a chance that it may make the sled go through the snow better. Still when going straight the skis still will not pack snow in front of the track as they are still outboard a bit.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
According to Dave Narona, you need uppers and lowers, plus the tie rods. That's gotta run $600+ just for parts?
Looks like it's about 870 for both uppers and lowers and two tie rods using the prices for 2021 parts. I figure the actual 2022 prices should be close although the new parts have slightly different dimensions.
So I'd definitely be selling the original parts to recoup some of the cost.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
At first I thought this might be not good for Doo as the bodywork is so wide but as Dave says, you won't need to tip it over as far to find the balance point. In addition when on one ski, and counter-steering the skis are more likely to be packing the snow in front of the track so there is a chance that it may make the sled go through the snow better. Still when going straight the skis still will not pack snow in front of the track as they are still outboard a bit.
All good points.

I’d like to try it before spending $800 plus on the mod.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Seems like alot money just to narrow 1in, since 34in stance is skis in inside position on a 35in frontend when 36in is standard, think if I was to narrow Id go offset spindles.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Seems like alot money just to narrow 1in, since 34in stance is skis in inside position on a 35in frontend when 36in is standard, think if I was to narrow Id go offset spindles.

The 36 is a lie also, it's really 37 so, its 2in narrower

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I've measured my Xm its 36in center to center the spindles

Norona said its 37, i was going by what he said.
35in center on the 34in frontend and 37in center on the 36in front end.

Sent it

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I bet the width changes at least 1" between fully cranked shocks and fully collapsed shocks. Likely guys will get different results of width depending on shock settings and especially if the front end is elevated and the skis are hanging in the air. The best way to compare would be at the point that the a-arms are completely in a horizontal position.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
I bet the width changes at least 1" between fully cranked shocks and fully collapsed shocks. Likely guys will get different results of width depending on shock settings and especially if the front end is elevated and the skis are hanging in the air. The best way to compare would be at the point that the a-arms are completely in a horizontal position.
Of you can play it simple and realize the a-arms are 1" narrower each side from previous "36" front end. So no matter how you measure it, a similar setup will be 2" narrower total. Period.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Just like weights, I wish everybody could pick a standard and stick with it. I think spindle centerline at ride height is fair. Factoring in ski offsets and such is just a marketing ploy if you're referring to a particular front suspension. Nothing wrong with advertising a 34" ski width, but that doesn't make it a 34" front end to my mind. It's kind of like another manufacturer listing weights of a bone dry sled (as in no fluids whatsoever). Sure, everybody wants to put up the "best" number, but that opens you up to these "kinda but not really" things.

Of course, choosing over a 1" difference is a newbie thing; I just wish somebody in marketing would ask things like "what's the most honest figure?" But I'm sure the response would be "Very funny George! You know, somebody could put on offset spindles, take off all the panels and drill a bunch of holes in the sled, and ride with only a gallon of gas and a cup of oil... We've got a 32" <400lb RTR sled on our hands!"

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
At some point panel-out will limit how narrow they can go with this.

Also, at what point does the sled become too unstable (too flickable???)?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I may not be getting it, but why are you guys measuring spindle width? Measure carbide width. That is what is the center of the skis on the snow. I get that the spindle width can adjust skis with spacers, but what is on the snow is what should be considered. (Other than different steering geometry by spacing skis with spacers or offset spindles.) I personally am a little curious to ride my new Summit with a narrow stance, but I have a feeling that it is again catering to new guys to the sport that cannot ride, to make them feel like they can. (T-Motion. Narrower stance before.) I have a feeling, like what Cat did for 2022, that they could only produce a small amount of what was planned for production. (The new clutch.) 2023 Doos will have the full package, narrower front end with the appropriate panels to suit it.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Of you can play it simple and realize the a-arms are 1" narrower each side from previous "36" front end. So no matter how you measure it, a similar setup will be 2" narrower total. Period.
Wasn't disagreeing with that but was getting at why some guys measurements are different from sled to sled of same models.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I may not be getting it, but why are you guys measuring spindle width? Measure carbide width. That is what is the center of the skis on the snow. I get that the spindle width can adjust skis with spacers, but what is on the snow is what should be considered. (Other than different steering geometry by spacing skis with spacers or offset spindles.) I personally am a little curious to ride my new Summit with a narrow stance, but I have a feeling that it is again catering to new guys to the sport that cannot ride, to make them feel like they can. (T-Motion. Narrower stance before.) I have a feeling, like what Cat did for 2022, that they could only produce a small amount of what was planned for production. (The new clutch.) 2023 Doos will have the full package, narrower front end with the appropriate panels to suit it.
On my Xm or any my sleds I measure center of spindle to center spindle. Being 36in on 14' Xm Summit X. I don't use the skidoo pacers I have 2 spacers like the Polaris has and I set the skis on my Xm and 04' Rev Summit center to spindle not offset in or out. Feels better to me.
Snowchecked a 2022' summit X and might do same but gonna ride it stock before I change any suspension wanna feels like baseline.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Premium Features