• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Outlaw Twins on Matrix 850

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Think the market for Matryx twins is gonna be thin for another year or three. Most spring order normally aspirated Matryx RMK owners aren't gonna blow their four year out of the gate. Or they took themselves out of the twin pipe market completely when they ante'd up to the Patriot Boost. Boost changes the twin pipe market.

Only RMK peeps without a four year will be fall buyers who won't have a Slash and will have to start with a 155. Most of them are not gonna twin pipe a non-Slash 155. They'll be a RMK market, but it won't start to really show up until 23, 24, 25. Doesn't mean SLP won't try, but like the Axys, might be a wait. If they can use the same twins in both the trail and RMK Matryx, which means they need a low elevation calibration for twin pipes, it will help speed it along. Focus will be on a single, of course, that can be used in both trail and RMK. JMHO.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Think the market for Matryx twins is gonna be thin for another year or three. Most spring order normally aspirated Matryx RMK owners aren't gonna blow their four year out of the gate. Or they took themselves out of the twin pipe market completely when they ante'd up to the Patriot Boost. Boost changes the twin pipe market.

Only RMK peeps without a four year will be fall buyers who won't have a Slash and will have to start with a 155. Most of them are not gonna twin pipe a non-Slash 155. They'll be a RMK market, but it won't start to really show up until 23, 24, 25. Doesn't mean SLP won't try, but like the Axys, might be a wait. If they can use the same twins in both the trail and RMK Matryx, which means they need a low elevation calibration for twin pipes, it will help speed it along. Focus will be on a single, of course, that can be used in both trail and RMK. JMHO.

Or SLP will just discontinue the twins altogether………

Factory boost will set the aftermarket exhaust pipe companies back on their heels…….

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I have a normally aspirated Matryx snowcheck on order (with warranty), and would consider twins if they were reasonably quiet and didn't melt plastic panels. Otherwise I'll look for a single pipe/can that still provides some gains, or just a quiet can for weight loss and easy access to the gear down assembly (which needs occasional attention).

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I have a normally aspirated Matryx snowcheck on order (with warranty), and would consider twins if they were reasonably quiet and didn't melt plastic panels. Otherwise I'll look for a single pipe/can that still provides some gains, or just a quiet can for weight loss and easy access to the gear down assembly (which needs occasional attention).
With as many as they sold this spring, there is going to be high aftermarket demand, and eventually supply, for new and Axys adopted parts for the Matryx. Singles for sure. I'll be in the single pipe/can market myself for a non-boost 165 Slash before the end of the season, will see who offers what and how well they do. Higher comp head or moving to a boost in 23/24.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I an interested in trying a set on my new Matrix slash, I talked to SLP and they said that the pipes would mostly be the same, just installation procedures and mounts and such will be changed.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Polaris is offering factory twin pipes for the 650 and 850 matryx chassis as well as iqr (if I'm not mistaken) for the RMSHA racers. I didn't really buy a new sled for the warranty. It might be nice but I buy things to USE and in the past have been screwed by a certain polaris dealer whom I refuse to use as the dealer for my new sled. Not so much polaris's fault but non the less and for what it's worth...

I don't support insurance Companies, banks, or credit beyond friends. Cash is king and in the world moving forward I hope people consider this as your still subject to market ****ery, howver not being tied down sure makes it easier to swing with the wind- throw your own punches... or walk away .

I'll post a link if it comes my way again, but I seen the post on Instagram

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Really hard to justify IMO, Even if they do offer them for the matryx its a tough sell. A boost is around a 4k upgrade (3k if you opted for the 7S gauge on an NA unit). Twin pipe kit with al the parts for complete function is just under 3k. Performance, not even close to on par. The pipes def make power but its not clean and smooth as OEM and wont hold a candle at elevation from my experience riding the new boosts and Axys sleds with twins.

Also with the panel heat issues had on the axys. the matryx will be 10 fold harder to work with.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
A fully functional single and higher comp heads will keep alot of non-turbo owners happy for a long time.
I will not disagree there. But your now competing on a very new front. Things used to be NA mods VS aftermarket boost. No warranty and customer install variables on both parts (pipe/head are simpler for sure).

Now your talking about an NA sled that your 100% voiding motor waranty with a head vs factory booster.

I will give Poo credit, the 22 NA 850s work really well, the increase in crank pickups (higher mapping resolution for EFI) makes for an even quicker sled. I think the NA sled is going to suprise guys especially with the updated tunnel letting them work harder.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Polaris is offering factory twin pipes for the 650 and 850 matryx chassis as well as iqr (if I'm not mistaken) for the RMSHA racers. I didn't really buy a new sled for the warranty. It might be nice but I buy things to USE and in the past have been screwed by a certain polaris dealer whom I refuse to use as the dealer for my new sled. Not so much polaris's fault but non the less and for what it's worth...

I don't support insurance Companies, banks, or credit beyond friends. Cash is king and in the world moving forward I hope people consider this as your still subject to market ****ery, howver not being tied down sure makes it easier to swing with the wind- throw your own punches... or walk away .

I'll post a link if it comes my way again, but I seen the post on Instagram

"and the paid-off mortgage replaces the BMW "SLED" in the driveway "garage" as the status symbol of choice"

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
"and the paid-off mortgage replaces the BMW "SLED" in the driveway "garage" as the status symbol of choice"
If you don't own it outright is it yours to modify?

Twin pipes are the ultimate f-u to the jones's

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
SLP has been building twins for the Polaris improved stock RMSHA program since 800 Axys. Myron at SLP used to climb with Polaris in the late 90's and early 2000's. As long as there are improved stock classes and they can fit them under the body work, I don't see them stopping production. Granted the consumer pipe is drastically different than the race version. But SLP has a long history working and winning with Polaris and as long as Darrin Gould is at the helm of the race team I don't see it ending anytime soon.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I suppose the question is whether twins can get you at least halfway to the power a low-PSI turbo will give you. If not, then the only way the price is justified is if you want as much power as humanly possible without a turbo; most people are either mostly happy with stock power levels (in which case, why bother?), or they want a lot more. That said, TRS did some tinkering with SLP twins and got pretty good results. Not that I'd count on that, unless you get him to share his secret sauce, or really know your stuff...

Premium Features