• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 engine mileage?

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Coming up on 2000 miles on my 2018 850 X with 165 track & shot. It hasn't missed a beat, and I want to keep it that way. What kind of mileage are problems that require new top end (or worse), major clutch work, fuel or electronics issues? Suspension, bogies, etc?
Thoughts and experiences ?
TIA!

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Engine should be good for a few thousand more miles. You should be cleaning the clutches once or twice a season. New primary and secondary springs.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I know of several sleds with more than 4000 miles and all they've done is clean clutches and a couple belts. One friend did plugs as a preventive.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Depending on how hard you ride, I wouldn't worry about the engine until about 4000 miles. I have more than that on my '17. Dealer said don't bother with a top end, so I'm putting a new short block in mine before next season. Seems like the G4 clutches have been pretty "maintenance free" other than the secondary rollers. Definitely replace those soon. You can also lube your primary rollers, which delivers a noticeable performance improvement, if you've never done it since new. Your shocks are also probably ready for replacement or rebuild at this point. Other than that, check your hyfax/sliders and track tension and give'r hell.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Got a buddy that has had several fuel filter and fuel pump issues on several G4's.. It could be bad fuel but he does buy from a big reputable company. Change your filter for preventative measure.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Got a buddy that has had several fuel filter and fuel pump issues on several G4's.. It could be bad fuel but he does buy from a big reputable company. Change your filter for preventative measure.
You can't change the fuel filter without pulling the assembly out of the tank right? Correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't easily accessible.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Have an 18' with over 2K on it and only changed plugs so far. I think they are pretty good motors to be honest. 4k should be able to be seen. 3k easily even with hard usage. My 21' only has 350 on it so jury still out on it but you know....it's still not an 800 Poo and for that I am super thankful.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Depending on how hard you ride, I wouldn't worry about the engine until about 4000 miles. I have more than that on my '17. Dealer said don't bother with a top end, so I'm putting a new short block in mine before next season. Seems like the G4 clutches have been pretty "maintenance free" other than the secondary rollers. Definitely replace those soon. You can also lube your primary rollers, which delivers a noticeable performance improvement, if you've never done it since new. Your shocks are also probably ready for replacement or rebuild at this point. Other than that, check your hyfax/sliders and track tension and give'r hell.
A short block appears to include the the piston and cylinders but I could be wrong. $3,789. Did dealer say not to bother with a top end because the whole engine needs replacement?

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Short block is everything but the head and RAVES etc. Dealer quoted me $4k installed. Comes w/ a one year warranty too IIRC. They said they've seen bottom end failures after top end replacements and theorized that the additional compression/power of the top end breaks the worn out bottom end. I'm likely to run mine at least a couple more seasons after the swap, so it's worth it to me.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Well, after several "If you don't double bearing it, its ¹1800 to 2200 miles
" Polaris sleds that ran into the 3K plus range with the double bearing, and a 3500 mile Ski doo XP, alll with extra love, this is great news. (Money is love to sleds, isn't it? And some people...)

B
Nov 10, 2010
sounds like a lot of good luck in here. my 2018 freeride has 3800 miles, I've replaced 1 full motor (PTO crank bearing went at 1700 miles, thankfully BEST warranty covered it for $50!), I had the rave valve motor go at 3k miles, the y-pipe split at around 3000 miles, the clamshell on the expansion pipe also went at roughly the same time (that sucker rattled into a bunch of pieces one day!). Primary clutch dampner was smoked and splitting at 2k miles, secondary rollers went at like 2500 miles. Track has about 10 ripped or missing lugs. On my 3rd belt which I feel is reasonable. Had a bunch of numerus dumb crap break like plastics and the latches. I wrench on it a fair bit, and can honestly say that other crap would have gone wrong if I hadn't checked it often (secondary bearing retainer walked out, rear skid bolts always come loose, pull my clutchs every 350 miles to clean them and the are always gunked up, etc.)

Somewhat to be expected if you ask me... above 2k miles on a proper mtn sled is up there.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
sounds like a lot of good luck in here. my 2018 freeride has 3800 miles, I've replaced 1 full motor (PTO crank bearing went at 1700 miles, thankfully BEST warranty covered it for $50!), I had the rave valve motor go at 3k miles, the y-pipe split at around 3000 miles, the clamshell on the expansion pipe also went at roughly the same time (that sucker rattled into a bunch of pieces one day!). Primary clutch dampner was smoked and splitting at 2k miles, secondary rollers went at like 2500 miles. Track has about 10 ripped or missing lugs. On my 3rd belt which I feel is reasonable. Had a bunch of numerus dumb crap break like plastics and the latches. I wrench on it a fair bit, and can honestly say that other crap would have gone wrong if I hadn't checked it often (secondary bearing retainer walked out, rear skid bolts always come loose, pull my clutchs every 350 miles to clean them and the are always gunked up, etc.)

Somewhat to be expected if you ask me... above 2k miles on a proper mtn sled is up there.
Clearly you must NOT be using Ski Doo's XPS oil. Nothing else could account for such carnage.

P
Jan 10, 2021
My 2017 850 blew at 1297 miles.

A friend of mine blew his 2017 850 at 1700 ish miles. Dealer replaced engine (with a 2019 version), and now he’s over 6100 miles total on the sled.

Also you can get a factory “reman” short block from BRP for $2200. If you don’t mind the reman part, saves you quite a bit $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
My 2017 850 blew at 1297 miles.

A friend of mine blew his 2017 850 at 1700 ish miles. Dealer replaced engine (with a 2019 version), and now he’s over 6100 miles total on the sled.

Also you can get a factory “reman” short block from BRP for $2200. If you don’t mind the reman part, saves you quite a bit $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did they find out why the 2017s blew up?

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
My '17 has 2500 miles on it and still going strong. Hopefully it will make it to 4k at least.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Premium Features