• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vipax-Combining David and Goliath

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
Much like backcountry riding often goes. The path to this build is much the same. Never planned to go this far. When you approach the point of no return you either focus on exit or hold it to the wood. My initial purchase was a 16 viper to be set up @ 270hp MCX kit. Carrillo rods, titanium springs, valves, head shims/gasket, rear skid, 2 hyvo chains and a chain case, another head shim/gasket and stuck valve and I managed to get 1400 miles on the sled. Issue I continued to have was charge air temps causing detonation. Air to Air intercooler was more of a highly efficient heater most likely due to the conditions I ride in. If I were to plan a build ahead of time I would use a sidewinder and save a lot of the hassle. So my dilemma was do I build my own water to air intcooler set up and install in my Viper or...... Put it all in one of my Axys chassis. No comparison to me in handling between the two. That part was easy to decide. Hard part was sacrificing a Perfectly sound sled for a what if..... Well I managed to stick a ring in one of my other turbo sleds and it made my decision. pulled the stocker with 300 miles and put it back in ops and had a vacancy for the next implant. Since starting the build I relocated for work and put the project on the back burner. Before I left MT I managed to take it out on the snow a few times for some short test runs. Now Im finishing up some fit and finish work to hopefully get it out before the snow is gone this season. My delay has been wanting to use nytro or apex oil tanks or build my own. Decided to just build it so i could locate in the best spot not just where it fit. Foaming is an issue with a way to return oil without causing more airation as well as ridding what is. Feel pretty confident in what I have created so far and hopefully it works as planned. Plan to weigh sled before I head out in a week to see what it does. Im guessing 460. hoping for less.

Build:
2016 Viper 162 MCX 270 kit
2008 Nytro stock 350 miles (donor Motor wiring ecu)
2018 Axys 155 chassis
162" Kmod skid
162" x 3.2" challenger Xtreme 3.0 pitch
Anti Ratchet 3.0 drivers
Polaris Quick Drive
Team secondary with Turbo spring/custom Helix
Viper primary MCX spring and adjustable weights
Custom Built water to air intercooler system
Raptor Shocks front and rear
Rear Bumper
Custom Oil tank
Cerakoted Race header
Skinz Helium Hood
Skinz heated brake lever
Trex narrow A Arms

800 Axys engine weight with primary 98lbs
nytro engine weight with Primary 128lbs

20190414_185732 (1).jpg 20210210_223522.jpg 20210210_223531.jpg 20210218_054719.jpg 20210227_212409.jpg 20210227_212651.jpg 20210304_054002.jpg 20210304_183749.jpg maxcerakote.jpg 46391.jpeg 20190314_153125.jpg 20190329_124107.jpg 20190329_124136.jpg 20190329_124140.jpg 20190401_212837.jpg 20190401_221639.jpg 20190414_185740.jpg 20190430_012235.jpg 20190430_012246.jpg 20201108_113157.jpg

zx4ever

Lifetime Membership
Jun 6, 2011
Northern Bc. Canada
WoW. AMAZING!! I love it. I wish I could see it in person, but the pictures help with that. There is a lot of hours put into that, especially that oil tank. I had not heard of people ceramic coating things their self, I will try that on my next build. If you can please put that thing on the scale. Not that it will matter as it will be lighter than the viper and the weight will be more centralized. By the looks of things their is not much room left on the turbo side. That must be why you had to make your own tank.

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
WoW. AMAZING!! I love it. I wish I could see it in person, but the pictures help with that. There is a lot of hours put into that, especially that oil tank. I had not heard of people ceramic coating things their self, I will try that on my next build. If you can please put that thing on the scale. Not that it will matter as it will be lighter than the viper and the weight will be more centralized. By the looks of things their is not much room left on the turbo side. That must be why you had to make your own tank.
Thanks! Its definitely been a time consumer. More on placement of everything then the actual effort. I didn't want to deal with oil tank in front of quick drive. moving forward seemed best. I'm doing everything I can to keep air flow open throughout sled. Main reason on cerakote was how close to turbo tank would be. I removed coating on panel vent side to help cool oil. Running Helium hood and I routed intake through access panel. My thoughts are to check charge air temps with stack and then run in the nose of the sled under hood. Running water to air intercooler I don't expect to see a huge change. Typical charge temps were 64° on other setups. If I'm within a few degrees I will keep it under Hood. I get tired of dealing with powder sticking to Snorkel screen and killing air as well as Branches trying to tear things off. Moving skid to the right location created an issue with rear rails. Had plenty of forward so I removed excess rather then buying new rails. Always hated filling intercooler so I built a reservoir to fill with sight glass for quick check. Key is putting a smaller hole in center of vertical section so air is not allowed to re enter system after it rises into neck. I fired it up a few days ago and Im going over everything one more time before I try and take it out. Ran out of time on last trip. Hopefully here in the next few weeks before snow is gone.

20210326_225125.jpg 20210326_225213.jpg 20210326_225228.jpg 20210327_120231.jpg 20210327_121510.jpg 20210328_230848.jpg

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
Finally had a chance to weigh it in. This is a completely wet weight. Coolant, oil and fuel. Pretty happy with this mark. In comparison to other weight specs taking away fuel puts it Roughly 40lbs heavier then a stock 155 800 AXYS. Now to see how it holds up!

20210420_071800.jpg

zx4ever

Lifetime Membership
Jun 6, 2011
Northern Bc. Canada
That is a very good number. I would have thought you would be about 600 Rtr. Hopefully you don’t have to add more weight to beef things up as they break. I have first hand experience with that lol

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
That is a very good number. I would have thought you would be about 600 Rtr. Hopefully you don’t have to add more weight to beef things up as they break. I have first hand experience with that lol
I had that in mind when I started so I built the motor mounts out of steel instead of aluminum. I reinforced the torque affecting the bulkhead per same. basically made a bulkhead within the bulkhead. I'm somewhat optimistic. Jackshaft is my weakest link I believe if it even is. I've ran some high hp 2 stroke setups and never had issues tearing the sled to pieces. More Engine Life Running on the ragged edge. I may end up building an aluminum fuel tank and slashing rear tunnel similar to the Matrix. See how it goes!

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
Interesting that it is only 40lbs heavier than a stock axys i thought a turbo kit alone was 20-30lbs of weight added to a sled. Have you had a chance to take it out id be interested to hear your opinion on how it compares to a viper and ayxs handling wise. Great job with the build.

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
Interesting that it is only 40lbs heavier than a stock axys i thought a turbo kit alone was 20-30lbs of weight added to a sled. Have you had a chance to take it out id be interested to hear your opinion on how it compares to a viper and ayxs handling wise. Great job with the build.
nytro motor is 30lbs heavier. take away axys Muffler, Hood, exhaust. Im running a Helium hood instead of Stock. No headlight. Running the Shorie Battery which is 2lbs rather than 20. I did a couple pulls after I first put it together and its crazy responsive. Since I have cleaned up fit and finish, dropped a bunch of excess weight as well as set up suspension. Im running a 162" KMOD skid from my viper. Drop front hole and move rear back to gain proper angle. Thanks! I feel pretty confident that Im going to love it. I stood the engine up a bit even from Nytro angle. Its pretty much inline with the steering post. Vipers have a tendency for excess oil on the top of the engine when pointed up. I stuck the radiator fan above the engine and it works incredibly well for pulling heat out the top. Great helmet warmer too!

C
Jan 14, 2020
Finally had a chance to weigh it in. This is a completely wet weight. Coolant, oil and fuel. Pretty happy with this mark. In comparison to other weight specs taking away fuel puts it Roughly 40lbs heavier then a stock 155 800 AXYS. Now to see how it holds up!
also, how did you chop almost 80 lbs out? whats in the viper chassis that weighs so much more

X
Oct 8, 2009
Vipers have a lot more cooling capacity in the front tunnel cooler then you will find in a polaris chassis. The cooler itself is much larger in size and has more fluid capacity. Also there is a lot of air volume inside the plastics, meaning the viper has excess chassis material in the bulk head and surrounding plastics that are in excess of what you will find on a polaris. Furthermore, the proclimb chassis materials are constructed from thicker materials and heavier materials such as thin wall steel tubing in certain chassis locations. In short, the front half of the proclimb is of more durable and heavier construction. The question is whether that is needed. I do not think so. And the total dimensionality of the bulkhead and components could probably be reduced by 15 to 20 percent without any issue. Recent revisions in the ascender use dimensionally smaller and thinner plastics to reduce weight from the proclimb. However there is still mass in the oversized bulkhead, steel tube chassis components, and unnecessary nose cone on the hood.

C
Sep 14, 2020
Alaska
This is by far the coolest build I've seen on here. Have you had a chance to get it out on the snow this season? I'm not sure about the quickdrive belt on the axys but the one on the 13-15 pro's definitely wouldn't hold up to that kind of power so I'd guess that the quick drive belt is the weakest link in this build right now.

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm hopefully dialing in this week. Sled feels great. It's definitely a monster. Last bit of tuning to do. I will post some more pics and video when I do.

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
Will have to work on video size to upload. Sled absolutely rips. Hopefully we get some more snow so I can get it out a little bit more. Cut and tapered a BD turbo sled to see how it performs and I will most likely do the same to the vipax. Currently 19lbs of boost. Working on octane mixture to dial in AF. I mixed 50/50 to be safe for initial testing. 11.6 on AF on full boost as well as through the map. I'm guessing I will be somewhere around 15-20% fuel mix. AIT is pretty consistent 45° F. I put the MCX head shim as well as head studs so I could run in the 20s no problem. Lower compression lessons need for high octane as well as drastic AIT temp drop. Had a few hiccups with oil vent so I set up with catch and return much like stock viper has. Seemed to do the trick. All in all I'm pretty happy.

20220213_182625.jpg 20220210_221152.jpg 20220211_211944.jpg 20220211_063825.jpg 20220211_063819.jpg

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Will have to work on video size to upload. Sled absolutely rips. Hopefully we get some more snow so I can get it out a little bit more. Cut and tapered a BD turbo sled to see how it performs and I will most likely do the same to the vipax. Currently 19lbs of boost. Working on octane mixture to dial in AF. I mixed 50/50 to be safe for initial testing. 11.6 on AF on full boost as well as through the map. I'm guessing I will be somewhere around 15-20% fuel mix. AIT is pretty consistent 45° F. I put the MCX head shim as well as head studs so I could run in the 20s no problem. Lower compression lessons need for high octane as well as drastic AIT temp drop. Had a few hiccups with oil vent so I set up with catch and return much like stock viper has. Seemed to do the trick. All in all I'm pretty happy.
Details on oil catch can? I have a similar issue with my twincharged apex over 20 psi. Thanks

Premium Features