• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Substandard Ice Scratchers

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Interesting.

Have you seen some failures?

I’ve never changed a bearing on a Polaris newer than 2007.

(Owned 12 different sleds since then)
One in our group went down and also read some posts about the bearing failures. Two guys also posted a Youtube review of their Polaris 850s. Both went down with bearing failures. Some of the commenters on that video also post about failures.

Came across this as I was looking for long-term reviews of the Polaris 850:

It's on Youtube and called:

Polaris VR1 Matryx 850 (almost) 4000 Mile Review​

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
One in our group went down and also read some posts about the bearing failures. Two guys also posted a Youtube review of their Polaris 850s. Both went down with bearing failures. Some of the commenters on that video also post about failures.

Came across this as I was looking for long-term reviews of the Polaris 850:

It's on Youtube and called:

Polaris VR1 Matryx 850 (almost) 4000 Mile Review​

Might be a trail sled thing? Ive. Never seen an issue on rmks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
We've seen it on edge and dragon RMKs without the zerk, but on an 850, you'd guess it was the bearing run. Poo has been cutting corners on bearing cost with cheap land of killer bats suppliers, 4k wouldn't shock me. Seen some rough PTO driveshaft bearings with as little as 1000 mi when changing tracks, but could be seal-related, too. They can all be greased, of course, with a needle.

T
Nov 11, 2008
Might be a trail sled thing? Ive. Never seen an issue on rmks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My 21 Khaos jackshaft bearing will fail. It is pushing out all the grease. Polaris won’t replace it until it fails. So instead of them just replacing the bearing they may end up replacing more if I wait for it to fail.

cdf88a3d62d9af5f3a75104c03f03dc5.jpg

As far as scratchers go, the stock OEM ones work fine. There is an easy way to stop them from breaking when you back up, don’t reverse with them down lol

As far as the scratchers being Holz and the suspension being Holz, only Mark-Holz can answer those 10+ year old claims if it was inspired/designed/stolen from/by Holz. The one thing for certain is that it works, and it works so well it hasn’t really changed much in that time. Hey it could be worse (t-motion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
my stock 17 cat scratchers are still working fine, 2100 miles, maybe half of that with them down, couple of reverses....but was thinking of these if they ever break. http://www.carbonsled.com/accessories.html
I thought titanium was all the rage? seems like a good spot to utilize the extra durability and weight savings of Ti. Or do they not throw the snow?
i like the cat setup with the 90 degree bend that grabs the snow and also hooks over the rail when not in use so no extra hardware needed. i thought the polaris was same but idk.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
my stock 17 cat scratchers are still working fine, 2100 miles, maybe half of that with them down, couple of reverses....but was thinking of these if they ever break. http://www.carbonsled.com/accessories.html
I thought titanium was all the rage? seems like a good spot to utilize the extra durability and weight savings of Ti. Or do they not throw the snow?
i like the cat setup with the 90 degree bend that grabs the snow and also hooks over the rail when not in use so no extra hardware needed. i thought the polaris was same but idk.

“Extra durability of Titanium?”

Never encountered that..........

Lightweight? Yep
Weaker than chromoly steel? Yep
Titanium fatigue and breakage? Yep

Just my experience.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^ weird, ive bought 3 or 4 upgrades in Ti and always experienced the opposite. very durable material and light, doesnt rust like chromoly. Not sure if buradnt runs scratchers but i think his motors and clutches are held together with Ti. I had an old SLP ski scratcher break off in my hand the other day on my vintage mod, so was looking around at options, thinking of just putting the cat scratchers on it

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
^ weird, ive bought 3 or 4 upgrades in Ti and always experienced the opposite. very durable material and light, doesnt rust like chromoly. Not sure if buradnt runs scratchers but i think his motors and clutches are held together with Ti. I had an old SLP ski scratcher break off in my hand the other day on my vintage mod, so was looking around at options, thinking of just putting the cat scratchers on it
Ran all sorts of ti arms and even have titanium hammers. Doesn't rust, brittle, snaps instead of bends. Kind of like 60 grade rebar vs. 40. If an engineer is involved you are using 60 grade. Bend it over in a doorway and it snaps once in a while. 40 grade bends twice as easy but doesn't snap. So how great does that make it?

Premium Features