• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

off trail riding black hills

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
how is the offtrail riding. Ive ridden a bunch out west, but never in the bh. I know it wouldnt be like montana or idaho but is there anything that is rideable that good terrain.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
There is a lot of off trail opportunities in the Black Hills. Conditions are not as extreme both terrain and snow as you will find out West but is more challenging than you will find to the east. Off trail does not get started until the snotel gets towards 20 inches. It starts to get good at 30 inches and is epic at 40 inches. The enclosed pic is from Wednesday last week.

20210317_144928.jpg

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
ive ridden the the bighorns many times and many places farther west, how would the black hills compare to the bighorns.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
ive ridden the the bighorns many times and many places farther west, how would the black hills compare to the bighorns.
Here is my take on this. Not sure what location could be considered a 10 for off trail riding and that would be argued to no end. BUT I do not think that the Bighorns are anywhere close to that. Somewhere there is the mythical 10 for off trail riding. That would make the Snowey Range an 8 and the Horns about a 6. The Hills maybe a 3 if you are there on a very good day.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Here is my take on this. Not sure what location could be considered a 10 for off trail riding and that would be argued to no end. BUT I do not think that the Bighorns are anywhere close to that. Somewhere there is the mythical 10 for off trail riding. That would make the Snowey Range an 8 and the Horns about a 6. The Hills maybe a 3 if you are there on a very good day.
That is a spot on description.......

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
X3, and I would put tog right there once you learn it well, same goes for Alpine, just different. Both less wind than the Snowies, and I pay taxes in Albany Co. BH has it's days, but they are few and some years there are none.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I live in SD and haven't rode a sled in the black hills in 15 years. When my kids get old enough I might start again but the terrain is nothing compared to wy. Definitely won't be riding my 165. We always find it well worth the longer drive.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
What is nice about the Hills is that there is something fore everyone. We've taken many trips there as a club and it covers everybody's needs.
Second to none for family trips. But no, it's not extreme.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
sounds about like what i thought it would be. good for family rides. Stanley idaho may be a ten, but i did get lucky and was there when they had record snow and it snowed every night.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I live in SD and haven't rode a sled in the black hills in 15 years. When my kids get old enough I might start again but the terrain is nothing compared to wy. Definitely won't be riding my 165. We always find it well worth the longer drive.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Where do you go in Wyoming?

Premium Features