• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Substandard Ice Scratchers

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
moving the scratchers to the skis is the most effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C
Nov 29, 2008
I’m only aware of the Ice storm OTTP slightly outperforming the HOLZ scratchers. (Polaris copied / bought out HOLZ for the rear suspension geometry and scratchers)

The oem poo scratchers are around 2x stiffer than staycool or other aftermarket cheap scratchers.

The doo coil spring scratchers chintzy cast aluminum rail block just shatter and fall off quickly. (Besides the fact they throw up less than half the snow of polaris scratchers)
You don't need the stand off block - just slip end inside rail cut out ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
With all the great improvements for 2022, why are the same substandard ice scratchers being used on the new sleds?

Polaris really should have ice scratchers that are reverse capable and that actually do a good good of cooling.
The oem ski dampeners make the oem scratchers look really good. Polaris has some work to do.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
How are you breaking the rail mount??? Have them on a couple of Ayxs and Summits and gave only seen the stand offs break ...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

The cast aluminum shatters.

Happens on most of the sleds I’ve seen with the same Doo scratchers.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The cast aluminum shatters.

Happens on most of the sleds I’ve seen with the same Doo scratchers.
Never happened in our group in the years we've used them. Those Doo scratchers have been great for us.

At least there are a few options for folks to try.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I wholeheartedly agree the OEM Poo scratchers are complete garbage. Go out in your garaqe and drop your OEM scratchers to the floor, guess what, those two coil scratchers won't even touch the concrete, much less hardpack snow. I broke three in two rides, bought the Staycool 3 coil scratchers that actually exert a little down pressure, they last forever, and actually cool your sled. Garbage equipment, such as the OEM scratchers make me wonder if there is any R&D/Test Rides that are performed prior to any sled release. Give me one to test, I could have told them they needed an improvement in about 100' on the trail!!! Why they haven't improved on this in 20 years is totally incomprehensible. I went for an early morning ride today, seven miles down a frozen trail, had I had the OEM scratchers on I would have had to turn around and go home, as several others did.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I wholeheartedly agree the OEM Poo scratchers are complete garbage. Go out in your garaqe and drop your OEM scratchers to the floor, guess what, those two coil scratchers won't even touch the concrete, much less hardpack snow. I broke three in two rides, bought the Staycool 3 coil scratchers that actually exert a little down pressure, they last forever, and actually cool your sled. Garbage equipment, such as the OEM scratchers make me wonder if there is any R&D/Test Rides that are performed prior to any sled release. Give me one to test, I could have told them they needed an improvement in about 100' on the trail!!! Why they haven't improved on this in 20 years is totally incomprehensible. I went for an early morning ride today, seven miles down a frozen trail, had I had the OEM scratchers on I would have had to turn around and go home, as several others did.
what are the stacool 3 scratchers you are talking about? can't find the 3. link?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Polaris must have built one hell of a sled if the biggest complain is the scratchers.
Hopefully they fixed the jackshaft and fuel management and bogging issues so there wont't be! The 2022s have a lot of potential.

Premium Features