• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wondering why

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
That’s constructive. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you ask your skidoo dealer? There is a option for a sea level spec that has a 2.5”. I would reason to guess it is not a popular option and that is the reason for them not offering it anymore. Lots of happy sledders out there on 3” tracks. Hence my sarcasm

ThePennySaved

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2017
AK
What is the use case for a 165x2.5 over a 154x2.5?

I understand 2.5 vs 3.0 for a 154 (and prefer the 154x2.5) but why would you want less paddle on a 165? I have a 165x3 and can’t think of any time I’d want less paddle where I wouldn’t rather be on my wife’s 154x2.5.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It wouldn't be a big seller. The ONLY way I can get my 10 year old a Doo freshie 146 after three years on a Cat 141 is to order a 146 SP 600. Really don't want to spend 11K on an SP 146, but no options. And that is a 2.5.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
It's because doo is eliminating almost all options to increase profit. It is the case across the lineup. If you look at the trail sleds they are removing model, track, engine options this year. I'm with the OP, if i were to order new it would be a 165x2.5. I am probably the exception but I ride my sled a bit at home in MN and then a few times a year in WY and don't want to destroy a 3" track here at home.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
It's because doo is eliminating almost all options to increase profit. It is the case across the lineup. If you look at the trail sleds they are removing model, track, engine options this year. I'm with the OP, if i were to order new it would be a 165x2.5. I am probably the exception but I ride my sled a bit at home in MN and then a few times a year in WY and don't want to destroy a 3" track here at home.
Speaking of wondering why...

As a guy who grew up in MN/WI, I do not understand the desire to own one sled that is ridden at 800-1200' in the homeland that's designed to ride high elevation deep snow. Makes zero sense to run a deep lug long track on a groomed trail, (even a 2.5" is way too much) and then of course changing clutching every time you make a drive west.

Find an old trail sled that gets you around local trails, and keep your "out west" machine ready to ride, if you're dead set on owning a sled that you drive 16-24 hours each way to ride!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Anyone know the reason you can’t order 165 with 2.5lug and turbo ? No option with either freeride or expert

Thanks

The reason a 2.5 works better in NA 154 and 165 is it creates track speed as it is lighter, rotates quicker, with the turbo the speed is there so 3 inch is better. Also the way they are made , there is not time to have too many sku's , so small numbers get axed, easy to do this after if needed and sell the 3 inch track you will have a ton of buyers

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
It wouldn't be a big seller. The ONLY way I can get my 10 year old a Doo freshie 146 after three years on a Cat 141 is to order a 146 SP 600. Really don't want to spend 11K on an SP 146, but no options. And that is a 2.5.
I'm getting ready to sell my girlfriends 2019 850 SP 146, located in Fairbanks. If you're interested! She's ready to upgrade to the 154, couldnt make the steep spots in valdez.

S
Mar 12, 2008
Hermiston OR
The reason a 2.5 works better in NA 154 and 165 is it creates track speed as it is lighter, rotates quicker, with the turbo the speed is there so 3 inch is better. Also the way they are made , there is not time to have too many sku's , so small numbers get axed, easy to do this after if needed and sell the 3 inch track you will have a ton of buyers

Thanks Dave. The snow here where I am in Oregon need 3in 165 about 5 days and the 2 trips I generally make to Canada. When u need it u need it. Just was listening to Ryan h from sno west talk about track speed 2.5 and how in most snow conditions found it works great. I am sure I can find one if I wanna try it. Questions was more on if there was a technical or physical reason. Answered!!

My guess was no call or wouldn’t sell.

Thanks again for all u do for the sport Dave.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Thanks Dave. The snow here where I am in Oregon need 3in 165 about 5 days and the 2 trips I generally make to Canada. When u need it u need it. Just was listening to Ryan h from sno west talk about track speed 2.5 and how in most snow conditions found it works great. I am sure I can find one if I wanna try it. Questions was more on if there was a technical or physical reason. Answered!!

My guess was no call or wouldn’t sell.

Thanks again for all u do for the sport Dave.

cheers for the kind words, happy riding!!!

Premium Features