• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaos 146 2.0 or 2.6 Track??

kevpak24

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
MN
I snow checked a Khaos 146 with the 2.6 track which comes with QD. I had read and just assumed the 2.6 and 2.0 track come with the original QD. I just noticed today on Polaris website that the 2.0 track comes with QD2! I’m about 70/30 off/on trail. Starting to second guess my decision. How can the 155 with the 2.75 pull the QD2 but the 146 with 2.6 can’t?

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone know anything about that 2" track? Is it new and does it have a speed rating like the 2.6??

J
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone know anything about that 2" track? Is it new and does it have a speed rating like the 2.6??
Its more of a snocross track not like the challenger. Doesnt have the fingers. Has full stiff lugs and is fully clipped. I can take a pic tomorrow

S
Dec 28, 2009
I went 2.6 personally on my 146.

I am in the flatlands and was running a 146 SKS with a 2.5 peak I put on it. The sled was fun, but the trail aspect of it was not ideal (larger seat, trail chaincase, foot wells, running boards, over the motor streering post).

I lost it when they announced the Matryx RMK came in a 146, and slash! Wonder how short it will be. Can't wait to have a mountain sled built for the flat lands.

J
Nov 12, 2012
I went 2.6 personally on my 146.

I am in the flatlands and was running a 146 SKS with a 2.5 peak I put on it. The sled was fun, but the trail aspect of it was not ideal (larger seat, trail chaincase, foot wells, running boards, over the motor streering post).

I lost it when they announced the Matryx RMK came in a 146, and slash! Wonder how short it will be. Can't wait to have a mountain sled built for the flat lands.
Where u from? This khaos got me jacked up. I want to pull the trigger but we just trail ride to much not by choice really. We ride eastern u.p mainly always take trail to our spots. Dont want to be miserable when we end up riding 100 miles in a day.

S
Dec 28, 2009
Where u from? This khaos got me jacked up. I want to pull the trigger but we just trail ride to much not by choice really. We ride eastern u.p mainly always take trail to our spots. Dont want to be miserable when we end up riding 100 miles in a day.
Nothern Ontario, Canada. Its flat here, not many trails (towns have large distances between them so only one main trail) and we get a good amount of snow so the offtrail is where its at.

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have been waiting for this sled for years!
It was so disappointing in years past when they just narrowed up a trail sled with that heavy IGX rear suspension and all the other trail aspects as mentioned.(larger seat, trail chaincase, foot wells, running boards, over the motor streering post).
This is the real deal and is going to be a blast!!
I have the 2.6 track on a 155 Khaos now and am very interested in the 2" for a little more trail speed - hopefully it is not speed rated like the 2.6 ??
The shocks on the Khaos are incredible and so easy to tune between trail and off trail riding. In the past when you rode an RMK on the trail you could just tell it wasn't happy - not the case anymore.
I cant wait
:p

S
Dec 28, 2009
In the past when you rode an RMK on the trail you could just tell it wasn't happy - not the case anymore.

I am not fully convinced it will be 'happy' at trail speeds, even with the 2.0 track. It is still an RMK. You'll have to run the skies wide to get that more planted feel and there might be some cooling issues with the short tunnel, no snowflap; but that has yet to be seen. Clutching and gearing is also different, the cruising speed will most likely be pretty high into the RPM (altho having the QD1 will help). Also the ski lift you'll get while getting on the gas will make things tougher and give you that unhappy trail feeling.

Also the rails are like swiss cheese, I'll most likely be switching mine out new with ice age bomber rails (I believe they make a khaos 146 rail already).

Its a coin toss on how it will do on trail IMO, the 2.0 track will help but I know I wont be barrelling down the trails like I did my 146 SKS.

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hopefully we are pleasantly surprised! I sure like my Khaos 155 with the hi/low shocks - a great improvement over my previous RMK's on the trail.
I am hoping the 2" track gets me to the play areas quicker;)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I wonder if the "2.0 crossover" track is actually the series 4 144 (Polaris does like to stretch their track lengths: run it banjo tight and it's a 146). If it is the series 4, which has a 2.52 pitch, and they're using 9t drivers, it would explain why they'd use QD2 there, but not on the 2.6 (assuming they're using the typical 7t 2.86 pitch drivers). The bigger driver would make a significant difference in rolling resistance, an advantage to the 2.0. Having rode quite a bit on a 144x2, I can say it'll handle some decent snow. If you want to be able to run full speed down the trails and losing some deep snow ability isn't a big deal, go for it. If keeping up with 155+ sleds in deeper stuff is a priority, then the extra lug would be a good idea.

With regard to cooling, it should be fine – the 146 Slash sleds have a bigger cooler because they're more likely to be used as crossovers. If you did have issues, a bigger snow flap would probably take care of it.

J
Nov 12, 2012
Wasnt able to get that pic today but i will as soon as i get there hopefully this week. The 2.0 is not the series 4 challenger track. The lugs are foward facing with no fingers. 100% the khaos 146 2.0 has the qd1 drive with 22t 43b gearing which i couldnt be more excited about. Ive been on the phone today with polaris and another company called proven designs out of michigan where im from and they will have a snow flap as soon as they get a hold of this sled. Hope this helps some for those on the fence. I know it swayed my decision!

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the update jrome! I think that's the track for me - look forward to the pic
Do you know if the 2.6 is running the same drivers?

J
Nov 12, 2012
This should be the 2 inch it comes with. Id imagine the 2.6 would wheelie more. Drivers should be the same on both tracks. Just ordered the khaos 146 with 2 inch! Was gonna get assault but wanted to try something different

20210324_170303.jpg 20210324_170257.jpg 20210324_170254.jpg 20210324_170303.jpg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yup, that's definitely not a series 4, although the lug shape and configuration is similar. Would be reasonable to assume it's the same pitch as the 2.6. If it's the same, the original QD gearing makes more sense with the 2.0; I'd still want the QD2 gearing with the 2.6 though. Probably won't make as much difference as it does on the 155, but there's nothing to lose unless they've changed the 146 2.6 to handle more speed. Also, for what it's worth, the Series 4 and Challenger are two different tracks...

Premium Features