• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 M8000 limited

B
Feb 13, 2017
Just picked up a 17 8000 Limited 162 with 151 miles on it for a decent price and it's bone stock. This is my first "modern" sled as i have rode my Mountain max 700 for the last 5 years. As I have no clue on the subject what would be the best upgrades i should do right off the bat on this sled? Anyone have any ideas?

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
BDX protect-air at a minimum. I always elect to cut the flap off and put tube boards on. Just depends what your goals are and what your budget is!

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
What is your priority? SLP Mohawk ski would be at the top of my list. Shock revalve from GSR. MDS clutching. Tether. Diamond S can is great too.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
remove all the duct work from inside the clutch panel and install this http://stores.mountainfithoods.net/proclimb-upper-clutch-panel-vent/
stock skis suck yep.
change the gear oil, the aluminum bottom gear sheds a lot in first 100 miles.
youre still breaking in at 150 miles. keep an eye on track, throttle cable, APV cables, and belt deflection - check it all out, they will stretch, its covered in the owners manual.
play with your shock air settings while you ride, super easy, just turn it on its side so shock is not loaded and adjust the evol chamber first. I think thats covered in the book too. Go with a little more in the FTS and a little less in the ski shocks than they reccomend if you mountain ride. theyre really nice shocks imo. wear your fox hat with pride!:)

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Like CB.8 said, mods are dependent on your budget and what type of riding you do. If I was looking at your sled this is what I'd do in order of importance:
1. Skis. I have Powder Pros for early/mid season and Proclimb 7 G2 off of the new sleds for spring. The G2 bottoms re-use your ski loops and skags. Need new mounting hardware are dampers though. SLP Mohawks ($450 new) and Polaris Grippers ($250 takeoffs) are also popular.
2. Manual chain case tensioner. Can be done with Cat or Yamaha parts.
3. Tube Running boards: $450
- Adds a couple pounds but the added rigidity and transfer of rider input to the sled is well worth it.
- Sheds snow a little better.
- More aggressive grip.
4. Cat magnetic tether.
5. Diamond S Ti Quiet can: $580
- Drops a ton of weight
- Adds HP
- Not loud.
6. Shock Revalve: depends on shop.
7. Hood with intake and headlight delete: $400
- 8-10lb loss
-Fixes intake temp sensor location.
-Lets underhood heat out.
8. Belt drive with oil injection delete, D&R kit, 8T drivers: $1,050
- 10lb loss
- More responsive.
- Better attack angle to the snow and lets you run the Ice Age Elevate Kit.
- Pre-mix gas seems to run cleaner. I mix mine 32:1 even though 40:1 is a common recommendation.
9. Ice Age Elevate kit: $1500 (snowcheck price)

Anytime mods-Strip/streamline some "unnecessary" parts:
- Silicone any gaps in the bodywork/intake.
- Underhood foam and clutch side duct
- Skid idler wheels
- Trim Skag bolts
- Snow Flap
- SLP LED tail light: $20
- Loose 6lb

B
Feb 13, 2017
Hey guy's thanks for the good info and reply's. I am no hardcore rider or mountain climber by any means so i dont need to go too crazy on mods etc. From these reply's im thinking BDX protect air, polaris skis, clutch side vent kit ,cat magnetic tether and maybe a quiet can of some sort and maybe the headlight delete at some point. Is this all reasonable or anything else I should do that leans more towards mandatory mods?

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
that's a good list. To be honest I've been running the proclimb 7 skis that are factory for the 17 and I've been alright with them, although the grippers are still better.

Oil and gas!!

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
that's a good list. To be honest I've been running the proclimb 7 skis that are factory for the 17 and I've been alright with them, although the grippers are still better.

Oil and gas!!
I had my 16 with Mohawks and my hardcore with g7 in really good spring snow last weekend. Almost ordered Mohawks on the hill, the 16 acted like it had power steering where my hardcore just pushed the skis around like crazy and this was at 5 mph. The g7s are ok in the soft but suck in the spring.

B
Feb 13, 2017
Priced out the Grippers and they are $180 per ski new. Found a good set of SLP powder pros for $300 with mounts. Might just grab them instead but have no experience with either of them. These prices are Canadian dollars.

B
Feb 13, 2017
I had my 16 with Mohawks and my hardcore with g7 in really good spring snow last weekend. Almost ordered Mohawks on the hill, the 16 acted like it had power steering where my hardcore just pushed the skis around like crazy and this was at 5 mph. The g7s are ok in the soft but suck in the spring.
Mohawks vs Grippers?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i wouldnt worry about the intake screen on the proclimb unless you ride super deep fine powder all the time or just worry a lot in general. More of an ascender issue. i like the mohawks, i dont feel like they are as grabby and quirky as stockers. i might run the stock in late spring where the mohawk slides around a bit on the top slush. i think the powder pro might also have a little more bite? my hawks need new carbides tho. for tech riding i think theyre all better than the g7 by far

B
Feb 13, 2017
I think i will get the intake screen as I am in Northern BC and the snow is micro fine powder that gets everywhere. Found a pair of low use polaris grippers off a 2015 polaris RMK for $250. The SLP mohawks up here were $1100 complete with mounts etc. Nope, the grippers will do.

Last edited:
Premium Features