• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turning a Khaos Slash Boost 155 into a 165 (2.75 track)

D
Dec 15, 2020
So I ordered a 165 Pro Slash Turbo and am thinking if I ordered a 155 Boost Khaos instead I could use it to play in the flat lands and snow in the mountains. With that being said I was thinking if I bought a extra 165 skid and track how much work is it to swap out and what do I need? Also a estimate on cost would be cool also.. Thanks..

T
Nov 11, 2008
So I ordered a 165 Pro Slash Turbo and am thinking if I ordered a 155 Boost Khaos instead I could use it to play in the flat lands and snow in the mountains. With that being said I was thinking if I bought a extra 165 skid and track how much work is it to swap out and what do I need? Also a estimate on cost would be cool also.. Thanks..

The 165 rails will bolt up to the 155 skid no problem. Be it Polaris or IceAge. Then it’s just the price of track and rails if the 155 is 3.5” pitch. If not factor in price of drivers.

For work, it’s four bolts out of the skid, remove it, pop the secondary off, one bolt, remove the six(?) drive shaft retaining bolts, pop off your lower pulley and drop the drive shaft out. I can casually do that and press drivers off and on in under 2 hours.

If you are getting into a driver change, may require anti stab and so on it’s going to cost more and take 30 mins extra the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah, if you run the Series 8 in both lengths the skid and track will be all you need. Super easy. Should be able to do in under an hour after the first go around.

I'd recommend a torque wrench and torque specs.

I would guess it would cost you $1500-$2000 to buy a take off track and skid.

If it were me I would just pick one or the other though, either way you're gonna be flatlanding with a mountain sled.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
this was the way i was thinking of going, but then started wondering if the tunnel would be "too short"
how short is too short?
would it be better to go matryx instead?
was concerned about the shorter cooler, but sounds like that may not be an issue

D
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, if you run the Series 8 in both lengths the skid and track will be all you need. Super easy. Should be able to do in under an hour after the first go around.

I'd recommend a torque wrench and torque specs.

I would guess it would cost you $1500-$2000 to buy a take off track and skid.

If it were me I would just pick one or the other though, either way you're gonna be flatlanding with a mountain sled.
Yes, but that -10 inches is just enough to make it more playful and adding 10 inches will, well suck on the flat. Im an off trail rider for the most part so on big snow days I could have a couple foot of fresh to play in. The 165 is just to much and the 155 isn't really that much more than my 146. (I love my 21 Matryx Switchback btw) Changing out skids and clutching before going to the mountains 3 times a year isn't that big of deal if it only takes a couple few hours! Now only wish I loved the Khaos color options and had someone wanting to sell me a skid and track! ;)

D
Dec 15, 2020
this was the way i was thinking of going, but then started wondering if the tunnel would be "too short"
how short is too short?
would it be better to go matryx instead?
was concerned about the shorter cooler, but sounds like that may not be an issue
It shouldn't be. Im expecting a snow flap from Polaris or an aftermarket company to offer something.. Lets face it the RMK Slash in general really doesn't have one now so why worry.. Worst case pop rivet a John Deere mud flap on or something.. Sometimes you need to find the inner farmer in yourself.. :D

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I think you’re onto what we are on to. A 155 Khaos Boost with a 165 is going to shred.
Regardless, you can’t go wrong with any choice in the new chassis. The doubters with their chopped and revalved 16-21 Axys will all be looking for a Matrix in January 2023

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
just to be sure I am reading/hearing everything correctly:
the Matryx Slash tunnels are 7" shorter than their Axys counterparts, correct?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Pretty sure the 165 Slash is the same tunnel as the 155 Pro/Khaos non-Slash. Makes perfect sense, manufacturing-wise. Simple, one tunnel length (not including the 146) across three models (155 Pro, 155 Khaos, 165/163 Slash). Here's the question that I haven't seen answered:

If the 165/163 Slash is using the same 155 non-Slash tunnel, is the tunnel cooler on the 165/163 Slash the same cooler setup as 155 non-Slash? Would be really smart, DFMA-wise, but, weirder things have been done. Anyone with seat time on the 165/163 Slash know?

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
I’m in a similar boat and trying to make up my mind before it’s too late to change my snowcheck. Ordered the 165 Pro Boost as well.

I want the adjustability of the Khaos shocks, if the pro had the same then I’d feel much better knowing I can quickly adjust some Khaos-like feel, would maybe even add Khaos rails.

I got the purple Pro, I love purple haha, not a fan of the Khaos colors and would have to go all black. If I go the Khaos route I’d also most likely swap a 165 track on it. And would definitely wrap it haha

oh the decisions... it’s killin me haha

D
Dec 15, 2020
I’m in a similar boat and trying to make up my mind before it’s too late to change my snowcheck. Ordered the 165 Pro Boost as well.

I want the adjustability of the Khaos shocks, if the pro had the same then I’d feel much better knowing I can quickly adjust some Khaos-like feel, would maybe even add Khaos rails.

I got the purple Pro, I love purple haha, not a fan of the Khaos colors and would have to go all black. If I go the Khaos route I’d also most likely swap a 165 track on it. And would definitely wrap it haha

oh the decisions... it’s killin me hah
We def. are in the same boat to the point of loving and ordering purple also. LOL I just bit the bullet and changed my order to the Khaos in Orange. I wanted the shocks and a 155 to start with so accepted a color I don't love.. I'll probably end up wrapping it also. Oh well color don't make them ride any better rite?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Pretty sure the 165 Slash is the same tunnel as the 155 Pro/Khaos non-Slash. Makes perfect sense, manufacturing-wise. Simple, one tunnel length (not including the 146) across three models (155 Pro, 155 Khaos, 165/163 Slash). Here's the question that I haven't seen answered:

If the 165/163 Slash is using the same 155 non-Slash tunnel, is the tunnel cooler on the 165/163 Slash the same cooler setup as 155 non-Slash? Would be really smart, DFMA-wise, but, weirder things have been done. Anyone with seat time on the 165/163 Slash know?
so that would be the regular matryx tunnel which is 3-3.5" shorter than the axys tunnel ??‍♂️

I have a 155 axys with a 165 khaos skid on it. sounds like a 165 matrxy slash would end up being about 3" shorter than my current set-up ??

C
Feb 23, 2020
We def. are in the same boat to the point of loving and ordering purple also. LOL I just bit the bullet and changed my order to the Khaos in Orange. I wanted the shocks and a 155 to start with so accepted a color I don't love.. I'll probably end up wrapping it also. Oh well color don't make them ride any better rite?

Nice move. You won’t even have the wrap it. The orange is definitely the best color!!
a4706a6d881b6661dc4fcf2495b76c3a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M
Oct 27, 2020

oh the decisions... it’s killin me haha
I struggled with that decision as well and also have a 165 Boost on order. I really wanted a Khaos but weighing 240 and mainly waiting to ride deep powder days a 165” track just makes more sense. I really think I’ll love it as an M1000 was my last sled.
There’s really no bad choices on this new chassis.

D
Dec 15, 2020
I struggled with that decision as well and also have a 165 Boost on order. I really wanted a Khaos but weighing 240 and mainly waiting to ride deep powder days a 165” track just makes more sense. I really think I’ll love it as an M1000 was my last sled.
There’s really no bad choices on this new chassis.
240 isn't that heavy for a 155.. It's how you agile and responsive you are when riding that matters more. Im 225 and athletic I've been running 136 and 144's with 2 in paddles for years in the MTNS. So getting a 155 2.75 paddle is a huge upgrade for me 165 seems like overkill but I'm 46 also and I'm getting less athletic by the minute it seems, Hence Im buying a 165 skid and track to try a couple times..

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I think you’re onto what we are on to. A 155 Khaos Boost with a 165 is going to shred.
Regardless, you can’t go wrong with any choice in the new chassis. The doubters with their chopped and revalved 16-21 Axys will all be looking for a Matrix in January 2023

Anytime you want to meet up. Let me know. If not... give it up. You havent been around a properly set up Axys, if you don’t know what I am talking about.

You posted your BS in multiple threads. If you can’t have a decent and informative post.. let it go.

Last edited:
F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
Ah dang! I’m getting more and more inclined to switching too! Ugh haha. The shocks are a big part of it too.
Also, it would be cool to start with the 155 as you mentioned, and if I add the 165 later it would be a good comparison. Dang dude (no pun intended haha) I just might switch too.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I just found out I got a boost sled someone backed out. I went with the khaos boost 155 2.75, my current sled is a 20 khaos 155. My question is will the slash 155 tunnel be to short if I want to put a 165 on it? The 165 will be 5" longer what's the worst thing that will happen more snow dust on me when riding fast?

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I just found out I got a boost sled someone backed out. I went with the khaos boost 155 2.75, my current sled is a 20 khaos 155. My question is will the slash 155 tunnel be to short if I want to put a 165 on it? The 165 will be 5" longer what's the worst thing that will happen more snow dust on me when riding fast?
Why don’t you just order it in a 165 and then put a 155 track on it for the flatlands. The tunnel length will end up similar to the current axys chassis and cooling will not be an issue. The 155 track and rails will also be cheaper to buy than the 165.

Premium Features