• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Matrix Slash Is unreal

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Why wouldn't you compare stock to stock? Most people leave their sleds fairly stock.

Fact is there is a bunch of us that ride very very well set up axys sleds. Tunnel cut.. good shock Valving... some nice add ones..

Wondering what are we gaining. Don’t get me wrong the new sled looks naughty. How much of a difference can narrower panels and different cooler make. The new electronics intrigue me. New gauge is nice but a bit spendy. They got rid of our favorite track. ??‍♂️

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Fact is there is a bunch of us that ride very very well set up axys sleds. Tunnel cut.. good shock Valving... some nice add ones..

Wondering what are we gaining. Don’t get me wrong the new sled looks naughty. How much of a difference can narrower panels and different cooler make. The new electronics intrigue me. New gauge is nice but a bit spendy. They got rid of our favorite track. ??‍♂️

I also rode a 2022 Khaos Matrix Slash 850 for two days. I rode it in set up snow on south faces and in 2 feet of sugar on steep north faces.

I contacted Polaris and my dealer Auburn Extreme Powersports (California) about taking the Khaos to a women's clinic that I was involved with skills and drills. Polaris and Auburn Extreme got behind the idea and made it happen.

My current sleds
2021 Khaos 165 tunnel/ 165 track Series 8
2020 Khaos 163 tunnel chopped 7"/ Camo x2.7 162
2020 Khaos 155 tunnel/ Camo x2.7 162

I can understand the skepticism about the difference in feel between the Matryx and Axys platforms since they share a lot of the geometry. In setup, manky snow, the difference isn't really all that noticeable-- the snow that Travis and Mike rode the sled in that Kyle (Kylant) is referring to. That was the sled I rode for two days. Ask yourself this, how different does a Khaos vs Pro skid feel even though the differences are subtle? How different does your sled feel with a shortened tunnel? Polaris did some tricks where the tunnel and bulkhead come together and appear to have increased tunnel to paddle tip clearance. The tapered tunnel also contributes to less hanging up on steep sidehills. The bulkhead cooler also reduces ice buildup in our heavier Tahoe snow. Individually, maybe these changes don't make a big difference, but add them all up and the difference in big.

When the snow is deeper and you push it harder, the difference is profound. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around how Polaris kept the light ski feeling and playfulness while simultaneously reducing the "nervousness" of the sled when the skis are up and you are turning the sled with your feet.

The 2022 just gives you confidence to pull lines that are increasing in stupidity to see if you can pull it. I love getting stupid. There is a reason my buddies talk about #MurphsShitholeAdventures.....

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
so Murph, what are you going to buy for next year? Wish I could ride some!!
I've got a 2022 Khaos Matrix Slash Boost on order. Will stretch to 165.

Will add non-boosted Khaos Matrix to the stable as well. The 21 NA motor rips. Revs so much faster, it feels like they lightened the crankshaft.

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
And if you’re a talented/aggressive and/or lightweight rider, you can get away with more on a 155” than others on a 163. I think if you get the track length choice right, then tinkering with the skid and suspension to make it more this or that is easy enough.
Im glad I saw this, I need to keep in mind weight does play a big role. I’m only 160lbs without gear so I think I fall into the category of “lightweight rider”. But I’m not currently talented since I’m still newer to sleds, but not new to fast/powerful motorsports.
I AM still on the fence for the boosted Khaos especially as more reviews/videos come out, I still have time to decide whether to stick with my boosted Pro snowcheck or switch haha.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I also rode a 2022 Khaos Matrix Slash 850 for two days. I rode it in set up snow on south faces and in 2 feet of sugar on steep north faces.

I contacted Polaris and my dealer Auburn Extreme Powersports (California) about taking the Khaos to a women's clinic that I was involved with skills and drills. Polaris and Auburn Extreme got behind the idea and made it happen.

My current sleds
2021 Khaos 165 tunnel/ 165 track Series 8
2020 Khaos 163 tunnel chopped 7"/ Camo x2.7 162
2020 Khaos 155 tunnel/ Camo x2.7 162

I can understand the skepticism about the difference in feel between the Matryx and Axys platforms since they share a lot of the geometry. In setup, manky snow, the difference isn't really all that noticeable-- the snow that Travis and Mike rode the sled in that Kyle (Kylant) is referring to. That was the sled I rode for two days. Ask yourself this, how different does a Khaos vs Pro skid feel even though the differences are subtle? How different does your sled feel with a shortened tunnel? Polaris did some tricks where the tunnel and bulkhead come together and appear to have increased tunnel to paddle tip clearance. The tapered tunnel also contributes to less hanging up on steep sidehills. The bulkhead cooler also reduces ice buildup in our heavier Tahoe snow. Individually, maybe these changes don't make a big difference, but add them all up and the difference in big.

When the snow is deeper and you push it harder, the difference is profound. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around how Polaris kept the light ski feeling and playfulness while simultaneously reducing the "nervousness" of the sled when the skis are up and you are turning the sled with your feet.

The 2022 just gives you confidence to pull lines that are increasing in stupidity to see if you can pull it. I love getting stupid. There is a reason my buddies talk about #MurphsShitholeAdventures.....

Thank you for a well thought out informative post.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Even with boost, the new Khaos 155 Matrix chassis felt much more controllable than the 20-21 Khaos 155. You can make it party if you want but you can keep it under control (even with boost) much easier than the current Axys Khaos 155’s. What makes it so much better is the tunnel and the narrower panels. It’s almost impossible to panel or wash out. On the other hand, if the skis are to high, just a tad of brake or small body adjustment and the front end will come down and the sled will lift and keep shredding.

And there are suspension tricks (Pro RMK limiter) and upgrades (Carl’s velocity revalve) to get the current Khaos 155 tamed down that I am sure will make it closer to Pro RMK if you prefer. That middle range of handling between the two chassis is money.

I think converting the 155 to a 165 the Khaos with boost will be the cats meow next season.

Power and response on the NA 850 163 Pro felt better to me than 19-21 850’s. But the most noticeable is the major improvement in handling. And foot hoops you can use. It is like Dragon chassis to Pro RMK in 2011. It really is that much better. After riding those sleds it was hard to get back on a tricked out and dialed Axys yesterday.
i went from an 800 improver with twin pipes, par head pcv5 iqr front suspension carbon hood boss seat cut in half and an ez ryde in my 09 dragon to a 2011 pro assault 800 155. My thoughts at the time is -this is the best ever- but reality i was down 20 hp and down 20 pounds. I can not see one thing makeing the matryx boost better other than the boost part. Its going to be all the little things. Stoked when i hear wheel hous saying the fit and finish is much improved as polaris hs checked all those boxed for YEARS except for the qulity soft parts. As in to say, i know i have the best sled, but now it feels and looks like it too! - it doesn't hurt, andshould help a lot when resale comes up !

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah

I remember them saying narrower tank and seat but some of you have mentioned narrower panels. Has anyone confirmed that the panels are narrower?

D
Dec 15, 2020
The panels look about the same width right above the spindles, but they narrow towards the bars. There also appears to be a little more room in front of your knees.

You are correct.. The panels wrap around the sled much tighter than previous models but the comparison between the 21 Matryx Switchback and the 22 RMK will tell the whole story! its only a few inches but Polaris REALLY shrunk the panels into a lay down sideways \ go skinny between machine. Look at a 21- 22 Ski-D00... Id love to know the difference clutch high between the 2.

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
Currently run a boosted 155 pro with a 163 Khaos conversion, Been loving this set up all year. Naturally I ordered a 165 boost and planned to swap my rails and shocks from current sled. After riding the new 155 Khaos boost this past weekend im changing my order to a 155. It was like a rmk and khaos had a baby. Felt like the perfect blend of the two.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
The matryx feels like a different sled. I know the skid and front are the same, but you wouldn’t know it when riding one.
I have a well setup khaos 155 with cut tunnel, lightweight rotational, and everything else. It is about as good as you can make an axys, and the stock matryx slash felt better. The motor even ran smoother, had less vibration, and started easier on first pull each time.
Im here to tell you you’re not turning your current axys into a slash.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
You are correct.. The panels wrap around the sled much tighter than previous models but the comparison between the 21 Matryx Switchback and the 22 RMK will tell the whole story! its only a few inches but Polaris REALLY shrunk the panels into a lay down sideways \ go skinny between machine. Look at a 21- 22 Ski-D00... Id love to know the difference clutch high between the 2.
Snowest magazine said it was 4 inches I believe. The Doo was 4 inches wider.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The matryx feels like a different sled. I know the skid and front are the same, but you wouldn’t know it when riding one.
I have a well setup khaos 155 with cut tunnel, lightweight rotational, and everything else. It is about as good as you can make an axys, and the stock matryx slash felt better. The motor even ran smoother, had less vibration, and started easier on first pull each time.
What's different about the feel? Ride lighter? Quicker handling? Ride better. I know they are narrower up at tank. I have a skinz tank on a 21 so doubting they are as narrow at tank. Not doubting you. Just curious why or in what way.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

Bingo. As more ride it, more will see the difference, and more will agree.

The Pro Matrix is not the same suspension as an Axys with the new velocity shock option.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

Hmmm, not disagreeing with you, but it sounds like part of the "so much better" feeling could be due to the pre-production sleds being built to a tighter standard. The 850 was supposed to run so much better and have proven itself, but the end product has a checkered reputation. Manufacturing tolerances and quality control seem to be a continuing problem for Polaris, to the point where we pretty much just accept it. My sled is everything Polaris promised when they introduced the Pro RMK – after a custom-built engine, revised cooling, and numerous other tweaks. They've gotten better out of the box, but it still seems every Poo needs tweaking to reach its potential, if not a major "fix" from the aftermarket (like extroverts and anti-stab for the series 8). I don't doubt the Matryx will be better than any Axys, short of an all-out custom build. I get the feeling though, that Polaris is doing a very good job of curating their new sled intros – building their pre-production machines to far higher standards and being careful of the conditions they let people loose on them in – and pushing sales based off that buzz. I'm not saying the rave reviews will disappear when the production sleds hit the snow next year, but I'd have to ride one, and see how they hold up over a full season, before I'd blow the budget on one.

Premium Features