• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Cooling on SLASH - How will it do?

B
Dec 17, 2016
What speed do you go on trails?
Scratchers up or down?-- leaving scratchers up, even for short periods, will quickly overheat a track and cause premature failures.

Probably around 80-100kph. Scratchers always down. Might be too fast, but just saying that the compatible doo track holds up better on trails.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Probably around 80-100kph. Scratchers always down. Might be too fast, but just saying that the compatible doo track holds up better on trails.
Put 30 miles on a 2022 Khaos Matryx Slash 155 this evening. When I was heading out a late model 850 Doo was on the side of the trail overheated with scratchers down. Figured this was going to be a good test day. On my way back to the truck on the trail the sled ran 127 degrees. I’m no longer concerned with Slash cooling.

88FB7F71-92AF-4EF7-8D33-3A3889B10F95.jpeg A084D3A0-55DD-47EA-8CE7-0476EF9750C0.jpeg 63D4858B-3B9E-49BE-B8ED-F805DC42B6E7.jpeg 2A25E4FC-0495-4786-9BBF-93DBA2225029.jpeg D07D0013-3D1B-4164-9E01-FCA740EBFC7D.jpeg E6205E8D-CB58-4ADA-BF9F-588DA623F1A4.jpeg

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
i have a '18 with a 155 tunnel, 163 track, and a silber turbo. believe it or not it runs cooler on the trail with no snow flap. no over heating issues ever. it makes no sense, but it's the truth.
Agree. I run a 163 with no snow flap and temps are 110-120 on trails

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Put 30 miles on a 2022 Khaos Matryx Slash 155 this evening. When I was heading out a late model 850 Doo was on the side of the trail overheated with scratchers down. Figured this was going to be a good test day. On my way back to the truck on the trail the sled ran 127 degrees. I’m no longer concerned with Slash cooling.
Worst 30 miles of your life? What did you think?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
After riding it, I'm not concerned AT ALL.

And I think it has actually no less coolant volume than my Axys.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"

All those pics you posted - looks like decent snow. What did the trail look like?

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
All those pics you posted - looks like decent snow. What did the trail look like?
North faces the snow was 2' deep sugar. South faces were settled/ setup. Trail was weird maritime snowback slush-- thin in places where you could see asphault shadows through it.

Day 2:
Sled now has 70 miles on it. I took it to a women's clinic I was involved in and let the women demo it. Riding back on the trail at the end of the day I intentionally cruised at constant throttle without spinning up the track to throw snow, scratchers were down-- hottest sled got was 127 degrees.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
North faces the snow was 2' deep sugar. South faces were settled/ setup. Trail was weird maritime snowback slush-- thin in places where you could see asphault shadows through it.

Day 2:
Sled now has 70 miles on it. I took it to a women's clinic I was involved in and let the women demo it. Riding back on the trail at the end of the day I intentionally cruised at constant throttle without spinning up the track to throw snow, scratchers were down-- hottest sled got was 127 degrees.

How did it do off trail? Not temperature wise but different chassis wise?!

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
How did it do off trail? Not temperature wise but different chassis

I copied my response from DiamondDave ride report thread:

I also rode a 2022 Khaos Matrix Slash 850 for two days. I rode it in set up snow on south faces and in 2 feet of sugar on steep north faces.

I contacted Polaris and my dealer Auburn Extreme Powersports (California) about taking the Khaos to a women's clinic that I was involved with skills and drills. Polaris and Auburn Extreme got behind the idea and made it happen.

My current sleds
2021 Khaos 165 tunnel/ 165 track Series 8
2020 Khaos 163 tunnel chopped 7"/ Camo x2.7 162
2020 Khaos 155 tunnel/ Camo x2.7 162

I can understand the skepticism about the difference in feel between the Matryx and Axys platforms since they share a lot of the geometry. ...

Ask yourself this, how different does a Khaos vs Pro skid feel even though the differences are subtle?
How different does your sled feel with a shortened tunnel?
Polaris did some tricks where the tunnel and bulkhead come together and appear to have increased tunnel to paddle tip clearance. The tapered tunnel also contributes to less hanging up on steep sidehills. The bulkhead cooler also reduces ice buildup in our heavier Tahoe snow. Individually, maybe these changes don't make a big difference, but add them all up and the difference in big.

When the snow is deeper and you push it harder, the difference is profound. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around how Polaris kept the light ski feeling and playfulness while simultaneously reducing the "nervousness" of the sled when the skis are up and you are turning the sled with your feet.

The 2022 just gives you confidence to pull lines that are increasing in stupidity to see if you can pull it. I love getting stupid. There is a reason my buddies talk about #MurphsShitholeAdventures.....

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I copied my response from DiamondDave ride report thread:

I also rode a 2022 Khaos Matrix Slash 850 for two days. I rode it in set up snow on south faces and in 2 feet of sugar on steep north faces.

I contacted Polaris and my dealer Auburn Extreme Powersports (California) about taking the Khaos to a women's clinic that I was involved with skills and drills. Polaris and Auburn Extreme got behind the idea and made it happen.

My current sleds
2021 Khaos 165 tunnel/ 165 track Series 8
2020 Khaos 163 tunnel chopped 7"/ Camo x2.7 162
2020 Khaos 155 tunnel/ Camo x2.7 162

I can understand the skepticism about the difference in feel between the Matryx and Axys platforms since they share a lot of the geometry. ...

Ask yourself this, how different does a Khaos vs Pro skid feel even though the differences are subtle?
How different does your sled feel with a shortened tunnel?
Polaris did some tricks where the tunnel and bulkhead come together and appear to have increased tunnel to paddle tip clearance. The tapered tunnel also contributes to less hanging up on steep sidehills. The bulkhead cooler also reduces ice buildup in our heavier Tahoe snow. Individually, maybe these changes don't make a big difference, but add them all up and the difference in big.

When the snow is deeper and you push it harder, the difference is profound. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around how Polaris kept the light ski feeling and playfulness while simultaneously reducing the "nervousness" of the sled when the skis are up and you are turning the sled with your feet.

The 2022 just gives you confidence to pull lines that are increasing in stupidity to see if you can pull it. I love getting stupid. There is a reason my buddies talk about #MurphsShitholeAdventures.....
Murph, did you snow check a sled?

L
Aug 2, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Here’s a pic of the cooler on the Khaos Slash 146 as well as a top view. Basically the heat exchanger runs to where the wire way rib on the top view disappears. Should be tons of cooling being about a foot of additional cooling past the end of the tank/seat area.

This is only in regards to the 146 though. The longer models have the cooler stopping at the back of the seat I believe.

B6B016C1-3925-43DA-9E08-91FED0087503.jpeg 8872AD8C-41CA-4CDD-BB37-87708CF130EC.jpeg

L
Aug 2, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i played around with some photo editing of the Slash and non slash models and came up with this putting a non slash flap on a slash then cutting it a bit.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 8.07.17 AM.png

Next pic is a simulated cut snow flap from the non slash version installed on the slash 146.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 8.35.13 AM.png

I also heard that "Proven Design" is planning to have an aftermarket flap so one way or another there should be something.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Here’s a pic of the cooler on the Khaos Slash 146 as well as a top view. Basically the heat exchanger runs to where the wire way rib on the top view disappears. Should be tons of cooling being about a foot of additional cooling past the end of the tank/seat area.

This is only in regards to the 146 though. The longer models have the cooler stopping at the back of the seat I believe.
The way I understand it, ur pic is of a 22 Matryx RMK not a Slash, the slash has the tunnel shortened an additional 3-4inches, tiny snowflap, and the tunnel cooler stops at the seat. they also have CF over structure.

Not sure if or why they would build the 146 to non slash specs and call it a slash? Seems silly.........
What would the non slash variant have that this pic doesn't already have?

Sent it

L
Aug 2, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
The way I understand it, ur pic is of a 22 Matryx RMK not a Slash, the slash has the tunnel shortened an additional 3-4inches, tiny snowflap, and the tunnel cooler stops at the seat. they also have CF over structure.

Not sure if or why they would build the 146 to non slash specs and call it a slash? Seems silly.........
What would the non slash variant have that this pic doesn't already have?

Sent it
Not sure I follow. I may be misunderstanding your point however see below.

The 146 pics are all the Khaos Slash with photo shopped snow flap variants. The 155 pic is of the regular non slash Khaos where I grabbed the snow flap from. They are simply for reference. I assure you though that they are all 2022 models unedited aside from placing snow flap variants on the 146 Khaos Slash.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Proven designs and a strap to lift the flap when wanted and keep it from being sucked up. Or a removable. Or stock. They’ll be lots of options.

I'm really up in the air on a 146 matrix slash or a Freeride 146. Problem here in the Northeast is we have to ride 40-50 miles to get to our play areas. I'm worried about cooling on the trail. With the Freeride I can get the accessory snowflap witch will help. Not so sure about the Matrix.... Guys that have rode them on the trail, what was your actual temps? Thanks for any help. The Khaos is really what I want but leaning Freeride because of this
Same Boat. Im on a 155" now with 2.4" track. Will i lose in the woods with the 146" vs the 155"

Premium Features