• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for Turbo reviews

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Now that the season is pretty much over - I'm looking for reviews on the turbo. If you had to do over would you get a turbo again? Is the turbo a smooth engagement? Has it been reliable?

A buddy rode one, not for very long; and said there was no mid range. Is this right?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I’ve read a ton of posts on various forums and haven’t heard anything about lack of midrange. In fact I can’t find any negative posts regarding the turbo in general.
Skidoo hit a home run it looks like and is why I snow checked a turbo Freeride.

Last edited:
S
Mar 7, 2011
Montrose, CO
I'm just over 400 miles this season, early season I struggled, actually thought about getting rid of the sled, then it snowed, I love this sled, the power is smooth and awesome, but riding in less than good snow conditions suck, no different than any other sled but you've got a rocket between your legs so **** goes bad quicker! As soon as I got in good snow & knew I was keeping it, I put a Diamond S TI can on it & the ZRP rip kit, the can is bitchen & I haven't gotten to ride it with the spindles & z motion yet

straightup

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Rigby Idaho
I have 4 850 ski doo sleds one stock 154 850 with suspension and clutching! Mainly wife’s sled aka my back up.
2 850 165 one bone stock one with silber turbo
Fox floats all way around and big John clutching! Real rocket in the deep!
1 2021 154 factory turbo with fox float all way around. Tki belt drive and Mohawk ski, stock otherwise. This sled is the best sled I have ever owned. Will out do any off my other sleds hands down and out ride any of my buddies no matter what brand sled or turbo kit. Keeping it and order a 2022 154 turbo also.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Depends on altitude. No reason to own one 5K-7K feet. Heavy front, eats gas. Been told from multiple people this, just don't need it low. However, 10K and up, winner.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Your buddy lied. I rode one, briefly, but it blew my mind. There is no lack of midrange, thats BS. They are buttery smooth from engagement all the way through.

The motor turbo combo is so smooth it almost feels electric, its that good IMO. The first thing I thought when I rode one was how has the aftermarket been doing such a poor job all this time? There's just no comparison.

I've been on Polaris since 2012. Sold my 850... might go a year without a sled and see how it goes, then pickup a Patriot Boost or Gen5 (if that happens) in 2023. Or I might just bite the bullet and snowcheck a Doo Turbo now, haven't decided that yet.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Your buddy lied. I rode one, briefly, but it blew my mind. There is no lack of midrange, thats BS. They are buttery smooth from engagement all the way through.

The motor turbo combo is so smooth it almost feels electric, its that good IMO. The first thing I thought when I rode one was how has the aftermarket been doing such a poor job all this time? There's just no comparison.

I've been on Polaris since 2012. Sold my 850... might go a year without a sled and see how it goes, then pickup a Patriot Boost or Gen5 (if that happens) in 2023. Or I might just bite the bullet and snowcheck a Doo Turbo now, haven't decided that yet.

Life is short, if you can do it now why not?! As if you go without a sled next season you know it's going to be a great snow year!

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Depends on altitude. No reason to own one 5K-7K feet. Heavy front, eats gas. Been told from multiple people this, just don't need it low. However, 10K and up, winner.
being able to restore the roughly 25-35hp loss at 5-7k feet seems pretty significant, no?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Ya
That was my experience as well!.
I have owned 4 boosted sleds now.
2 Mid boost, 1 High, 1 Insane (17lbs)

The 2021 Expert Turbo was HANDS DOWN the nicest one to ride.
The power was smooth and NEVER yanked my arms out of their sockets.
It never felt like the Turbo HIT, it just smoothly built up power and made the over all riding experience MORE FUN.

BUTTERY SMOOTH is a VERY good description of what I experienced.
I only had to ride it for a day to KNOW I was going to be ordering one just as soon as Snowcheck opened up.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I have 800 something miles on my 2021 165 Expert Turbo. No reliability issues, no belts, no plugs. Just gas and oil. Hold it pinned to the bars as long as you want, no heating issues. Such as melted panels, or other hood components, like aftermarket stuff. Nor has anyone in the group I ride with had any issues with theirs. Total of about 6-7 guys all bought one. All are very pleased, keeping theirs or ordering another for next year. We ride between 7,000 and 10,500 ish. The Turbo flat works.

The only deal we have all experienced, though rare. Is a powder bog, due to clogged air intake from 3ft of Pow on the screens and the exhaust buried deep in the snow while riding slow in deep Pow. Most a down hill right hand turn.

As soon as you wipe off part of one intake, bang back to normal. Once moving and able to build some boost, you can chop the throttle and all the snow blasts back off the intake screens.

I know several people that have had or still have Silber, Boondocker stuff. They have all switched to the Skidoo Factory turbo or have one ordered for next year. Due to how much better “over all” the Skidoo factory Turbo runs and operates. Sure the aftermarket produces more power than a stock turbo. But the stock one currently, can not be beaten for smooth, crisp, power everywhere. No bogs, misses, rough idle, need to baby it after a 30 sec pull etc.

Over all everyone I know that owns one or has rode one is pleased. Definitely a winner. Worth buying for sure.

The new Polaris Boost is intriguing, but unless you had prior knowledge that the available units were going to be extremely limited and had your dealer put you on a list 3 months ago. You won’t get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
It’s probably got the strongest low to mid range of any sled on the market. In stock form it’s truest amazing. I didn’t think I’d own another doo after my 17’ 850. I ended up going bikeman stage 2 tune and it’s unreal for a factory turbo.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It’s probably got the strongest low to mid range of any sled on the market. In stock form it’s truest amazing. I didn’t think I’d own another doo after my 17’ 850. I ended up going bikeman stage 2 tune and it’s unreal for a factory turbo.
And there is ALWAYS that option for the guys that really want to squeeze out a little bit more.

123141779_412354213499783_4459570040434479835_n.jpg

Tjtwenty

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2016
I've ridden a 17 850 with an mpi turbo set at 200 hp for 3 years. Last year I had a silber 850 Freeride that was insanely fast! I ordered a 21 expert turbo for this year and was originally a little worried about being down roughly 40 HP to my last sleds. I thought about putting a tune in it before riding it, but ultimately decided that I'd ride it a few times and then decide. Yes, its down on HP compared to an aftermarket system, but its just soooo much easier to ride in the trees and technical terrain, which is my favorite thing to do. I decided to leave it stock, not even a can. Gas and go, no issues at all! No way I'd go back to an aftermarket turbo

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Have a 20.5,if you ride between 7000-9000 ft all you Doo is smile ,you ride one once at the top of the hill and you won’t go back .the N/A can’t compete.Diamond s can titanium ,diamond s vent kit ,sled head racing clutch kit .No bog anywhere just hit it and hang on,if it is a stand on end issue adjust the limiter straps

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Also in regard to the fuel consumption,I ride with a few gentleman that have 850 Khoas’s and I get better fuel mileage every time,not bragging by any means but fact Are facts,the Polaris uses less oil than the Turbo for sure

Premium Features