• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled upgrade questions

H
Mar 23, 2020
So here my predicament. Thinking about getting into snow-biking next year after trying one out. the bike I tried was a ktm 530 with a cmx 129. it ripped! I loved the way the kit handled and had a bunch of fun! the conditions weren't even very good according the other snow bikers. the problem is I don't have 8000 to lay down on a cmx kit. I was thinking about buying a timbersled st 120 and trying that out. if i wanted more track and less resistance couldn't i add rail extensions and a cmx track and a tiki belt drive and it would be pretty close to the cmx kit but a lot cheaper right? It wouldn't need to be exactly the same but I would prefer a capable machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
I bought my Raw with 129 extensions, CMX track and Exit shocks 2 seasons ago for about $2500 or so. Figured it was a decent setup and price to start with. This kit climbs and cruises trees really well. My friend on an ARO3 tried it again last weekend and was impressed with how it goes. After riding his bike for the second time, I don't think it's worth a $3500 or so upgrade to a used ARO3. Now if I jumped cliffs or needed to have a wheelie monster, a different kit would be in my future. Hope that helps.

H
Mar 23, 2020
I bought my Raw with 129 extensions, CMX track and Exit shocks 2 seasons ago for about $2500 or so. Figured it was a decent setup and price to start with. This kit climbs and cruises trees really well. My friend on an ARO3 tried it again last weekend and was impressed with how it goes. After riding his bike for the second time, I don't think it's worth a $3500 or so upgrade to a used ARO3. Now if I jumped cliffs or needed to have a wheelie monster, a different kit would be in my future. Hope that helps.

Thank you! that is what i was looking for. I'll stay with the 120 at first probably but I wanted to know if the rail extensions and track would be worth it!

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Oh bro I have the solution for you! I recently bought a 120” aro kit. I really wanted a yeti or a riot but the price was too good to pass on. So, i decided to try out massively different springs on it in an attempt to get that riot feel, like cmx too, that playful “dirt bike feel”. So I took out the stock springs which are 200# front and 215# rear, replaced them with 250# front and 175# rear and holy crap! It’s AWESOME!! Bike can carry the ski easily now, climbs like mad, doesnt trench, and honestly it feels like it has wheels on it now. I LOVE it! And I tested it right against a brand new 129 cmx today also, and they compare quite well actually, but I prefer the timbersled ski, and I also prefer saving 5k$ too! So, keep that in mind with these kits. The basic two shock kits like timbersled aro, you can tune them to ride just like a cmx or a riot for the riding you want to do. Honestly I have no idea why timbersled put those springs on the aro. Maybe so they could make the riot seem that much better? Dunno.
My setup will make me a better rider I think, because it is a bit of a handful, but that’s the fun right? Deals are out there and they can be made to work top notch. Cost me 80$ for the springs and $2500 for the kit, so I’m pretty tickled coming off a 2017 mototrax enduro that I suffered through for far too long.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
you don't need to crash the bank for 15K to go snow biking. Several young friends in my riding group are on 2 or 3 year old timbersled kits for 2500 or less and good MX 450's for 3-4000. setup is more critical than money. Latest is 19 year old on 2018 ts 136 on a $1500 Honda 650, you better be on your game to keep him in site...........grin a mile wide.

ON the other hand the tail end of the group is on 2021 ktm aro3 and 2021Ford 3500 dualies , slow to dress sorting through 3 or 4 KLIM outfits. ALL fun, we ride and pick each other up. We often refer to the GLAM in the parking lots as "plastic wonders " you wonder where the money is going to come from to pay off the plastic.

H
Mar 23, 2020
Oh bro I have the solution for you! I recently bought a 120” aro kit. I really wanted a yeti or a riot but the price was too good to pass on. So, i decided to try out massively different springs on it in an attempt to get that riot feel, like cmx too, that playful “dirt bike feel”. So I took out the stock springs which are 200# front and 215# rear, replaced them with 250# front and 175# rear and holy crap! It’s AWESOME!! Bike can carry the ski easily now, climbs like mad, doesnt trench, and honestly it feels like it has wheels on it now. I LOVE it! And I tested it right against a brand new 129 cmx today also, and they compare quite well actually, but I prefer the timbersled ski, and I also prefer saving 5k$ too! So, keep that in mind with these kits. The basic two shock kits like timbersled aro, you can tune them to ride just like a cmx or a riot for the riding you want to do. Honestly I have no idea why timbersled put those springs on the aro. Maybe so they could make the riot seem that much better? Dunno.
My setup will make me a better rider I think, because it is a bit of a handful, but that’s the fun right? Deals are out there and they can be made to work top notch. Cost me 80$ for the springs and $2500 for the kit, so I’m pretty tickled coming off a 2017 mototrax enduro that I suffered through for far too long.

Thank you! I'll have to keep this in mind!

H
Mar 23, 2020
you don't need to crash the bank for 15K to go snow biking. Several young friends in my riding group are on 2 or 3 year old timbersled kits for 2500 or less and good MX 450's for 3-4000. setup is more critical than money. Latest is 19 year old on 2018 ts 136 on a $1500 Honda 650, you better be on your game to keep him in site...........grin a mile wide.

ON the other hand the tail end of the group is on 2021 ktm aro3 and 2021Ford 3500 dualies , slow to dress sorting through 3 or 4 KLIM outfits. ALL fun, we ride and pick each other up. We often refer to the GLAM in the parking lots as "plastic wonders " you wonder where the money is going to come from to pay off the plastic.

I don't need the latest and greatest just functional and fun!

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
The special sauce is in the ski and the bike more than the back on the kit. We are now chasing small percentages on the rear of these machines, while the engine and ski will see bigger improvements over years to come. This makes sense to me, because just like how snowboards borrowed a lot of historic development from skis, the Snowbike borrowed from sleds. The bigger difference being the skis which are a lot different than sleds. I’ve tried 5 skis now and they all perform a lot differently on differing conditions.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm glad somebody finally tried this. I knew it would work well.

S
Mar 2, 2018
Sick! this sounds like a riot! I'm gonna have to try it o_O

Premium Features