• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Substandard Ice Scratchers

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
With all the great improvements for 2022, why are the same substandard ice scratchers being used on the new sleds?

Polaris really should have ice scratchers that are reverse capable and that actually do a good good of cooling.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m only aware of the Ice storm OTTP slightly outperforming the HOLZ scratchers. (Polaris copied / bought out HOLZ for the rear suspension geometry and scratchers)

The oem poo scratchers are around 2x stiffer than staycool or other aftermarket cheap scratchers.

The doo coil spring scratchers chintzy cast aluminum rail block just shatter and fall off quickly. (Besides the fact they throw up less than half the snow of polaris scratchers)

Last edited:

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I have to agree that the POO scratchers are of less quality as I have replaced 2 sets this year and also last year, My younger son has a 2012 PRO 800 163 and he put on a pair of cable scratchers when he bought that sled in 2014 and has only replaced the screw on end on one side once and the have been down since he put them on and still good!! I have been buying the replacement from HOLZ and will put on #3 this year this week. A couple of the guys who we ride with have DOO scratchers on their sleds and they seem to do fine also.
gtwitch in wyoming

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
IMHO, the best are still the stock style. I think I have StaCool scratchers on now, but have only replaced maybe 2 in 3,500 miles. At $20 each, they're hard to beat. It takes several backups to finally remember to put them up each time, but I always remember now.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
With all the great improvements for 2022, why are the same substandard ice scratchers being used on the new sleds?

Polaris really should have ice scratchers that are reverse capable and that actually do a good good of cooling.
the problem was more the cooling system then the scratchers. the axys style smooth inside/out cooler did not transfer heat very affectively. The new matryx cooler works a LOT better. the fins help hold snow and dissipate heat much quicker. little blips off the trail bring temps down very quickly vs an axys.

While I do like the doo style being reversable, it still does not kick up nearly the same level of snow. DOO also has like 2x the cooling area so can get away with less.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I actually think they buy them through Holz.

In the dragon part description it used to say holz in the parts fische.

As far as the rear suspension Cat has exactly the same suspension geometry in the dual rail.
possibly the scratchers but the rear suspension was copied and non-compensated for.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
possibly the scratchers but the rear suspension was copied and non-compensated for.

intelectual property becomes fair use after 7 years or so. The same is or has done by polaris with the ez ryde skid and their snow bike kits mud run - Copy.jpg

am i the only one reading about ice scratchers who is like... huh yeah never used em? lol

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
I've run the OTTP's the past 2 seasons. I've had 2 left sides snap at the second bend down and lost one right side tip that snapped at the connection. All three happened while going forward. They work well until they break. May try the cable scratchers or just stick with the standards.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I had a 2015 Doo T3 which had a short cooler on it, and never had any issues with their reversible scratchers.

I have had issues with the Polaris ones wearing out though and not having any down pressure to bite into the hardpack. Cable style scratchers also wear out fast.

The OTTP/ice storm whatever ones with that little flip piece on the end seem to kick up more than anything else I've seen and the ones my dad has still have plenty of down pressure. Kinda-sorta reversible if you go slow and the snow is packed enough.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Baby steps now, they *just* added a tether for the MY 22 sleds...

Ice storm is the only way to go if you want a real scratcher that works

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
As mentioned, the Doo rail scratchers works just fine on a Polaris, I had them for 4 years on my previous RMK.
Over here it has popped up some cheaper copies of them too, that also works well, at around half BRP's price. Might be available at your side of the pond too.

Premium Features