• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gates Redline

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Has anyone tried the Gates Redline belt? They're new as of last year, and available in the typical sizes. I've been pretty happy with the C12 belts, but maybe the Redline is better? Or it could be worse... Seems like it's designed for high-power, high-heat UTV applications, so I'd suspect it uses a harder compound. If that's the case, I could imagine it being harder on the clutches and less smooth than the C12. I'm ordering some new belts soon, and had half a thought to try one. I'm leaning towards the C12 though, because it does everything right for what I have/do. I also hear reports of it holding up on boosted sleds and harder riding than I do, so I don't think I'm likely to realize any gain in durability. Still, for all I know, the Redline is all of that and more; that's why I'm wondering who's tried one.

Here's the Gates pitch: https://www.gates.com/us/en/knowledge-center/new-products/g-force-redline-cvt-belt.html
No mention of snowmobiles. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't designed for sleds, or even that they won't work, but does beg the question of whether they might be too specialized to work well for us.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Has anyone tried the Gates Redline belt? They're new as of last year, and available in the typical sizes. I've been pretty happy with the C12 belts, but maybe the Redline is better? Or it could be worse... Seems like it's designed for high-power, high-heat UTV applications, so I'd suspect it uses a harder compound. If that's the case, I could imagine it being harder on the clutches and less smooth than the C12. I'm ordering some new belts soon, and had half a thought to try one. I'm leaning towards the C12 though, because it does everything right for what I have/do. I also hear reports of it holding up on boosted sleds and harder riding than I do, so I don't think I'm likely to realize any gain in durability. Still, for all I know, the Redline is all of that and more; that's why I'm wondering who's tried one.

Here's the Gates pitch: https://www.gates.com/us/en/knowledge-center/new-products/g-force-redline-cvt-belt.html
No mention of snowmobiles. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't designed for sleds, or even that they won't work, but does beg the question of whether they might be too specialized to work well for us.
I have had good luck with gates belts in general in particular the C12. I would think the Redline would be as good or better. I am now running Gboost Badass snowmobile belts and very pleased with these as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yeah, I haven't heard much about the Gboost belt, but what little I have has been good. The C12 is a great value and more than strong enough for most applications; the Redline isn't too expensive either (around $125 vs. $100). Just curious to see if anyone's been running it – I'd be interested if it's better all around than the C12, but given that the promo mostly talks about handling more power and heat, I have to wonder if there are trade-offs.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I’ve been running the Gates Redline on my 850 for a couple seasons now and have found that sheave face deglazing/scuffing is required after every ride. They are nearly indestructible but not everyone cares to scuff up sheaves after ever ride.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
My guess would be that the Redline uses a harder compound, which I'm not sure you want if you don't need it. I've also heard one report of the R belt shedding bits of rubber on some Boost sleds, but that might have been a batch issue. I've found the C12s leave a clean, dull gray finish over my clutches, so that would seem to be advantage C12. I do get a little rubber near the hub of the primary, but most of that isn't there when I open the panel in the field; I think it's mostly from puttering around the parking lot and loading up at the end of the day.

Strangely, Gates now treats the C12 as the second from the bottom of their four lines of belts. There's a new "Workhorse" line, listed above it in their application guide. The C12 is the only Gates belt using carbon cords vs kevlar. It also uses Chloroprene vs. Ethylene for the main part of the belt. I've heard a rumor that the C12 might be phased out though... It doesn't make sense to have two mid-range lines, but I'd wonder, if the C12 does go away, it it would be for cost reasons, and if the carbon cord idea goes with it.

All-in-all, I'm not sure I see a reason to switch from the C12. If it does disappear, I'll probably try the Redline and see if I have issues with them glazing the clutches. Scuffing the clutches off after every ride isn't something I'd care to do.... Right now, the R belt would be the only option if the C12 goes away, since the G belt has been confirmed not to be up to it, and the Workhorse line only has a dozen or so belts (looks like mostly ATV applications). We'll see if that expands: it might be a better choice for some sleds (like 650s, maybe 800s and such) if it does.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I ran a Redline for two seasons and 3,200 miles before it gave me any issues. I currently have 550 miles on another Redline I run on a new 850 Matryx. I deglaze my primary after every ride with a purple scotcbrite pad then clean with acetone, it seems to be the best way to make the Redline work. I can’t run a 216 in the temperatures I ride in +40 degrees is real common in Nevada. The 216 will turn the sheaves brown when it gets to hot and the clutching goes in the toilet. The Redline handles the heat just fine.

Premium Features