• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can you do a top end on an Axys with the engine in the sled?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Did you guys do anything with cylinders or just pistons and rings?
Since the cylinders are nykasil coated, you don't need to do much with them, as long as the original hone scratches are visible (and they should be) and you can't feel any scratches with a fingernail. Just scotch brite the carbon off the top so that your new rings don't collide with it, hot soapy water after that, and measure to make certain bore is still in spec. Assemble with lots of oil. New wrist pin bearings are a good idea, but not totally necessary.

Any nick in the cylinder and you should send it out to an expert that deals with nykasil. Ball honing is a bad idea. In a pinch, you can polish out a tiny cylinder nick on a dual ring and run it without issue. Not ideal, but it'll run.

In response to another question, the 2 engines that I did this season had 5,500 and 4,500 miles on them. My sled will have 3,500 miles on it after next week and will put pistons in it then or sell it. I've replaced pistons at 2,000 miles but pistons always looked good then. The pistons I did this year were quite sloppy. I'd say 3k miles is ideal, unless you're really hard on things.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Since the cylinders are nykasil coated, you don't need to do much with them, as long as the original hone scratches are visible (and they should be) and you can't feel any scratches with a fingernail. Just scotch brite the carbon off the top so that your new rings don't collide with it, hot soapy water after that, and measure to make certain bore is still in spec. Assemble with lots of oil. New wrist pin bearings are a good idea, but not totally necessary.

Any nick in the cylinder and you should send it out to an expert that deals with nykasil. Ball honing is a bad idea. In a pinch, you can polish out a tiny cylinder nick on a dual ring and run it without issue. Not ideal, but it'll run.

In response to another question, the 2 engines that I did this season had 5,500 and 4,500 miles on them. My sled will have 3,500 miles on it after next week and will put pistons in it then or sell it. I've replaced pistons at 2,000 miles but pistons always looked good then. The pistons I did this year were quite sloppy. I'd say 3k miles is ideal, unless you're really hard on things.

That is also my plan. I was just seeing what everyone else was doing. If mine look good and the pistons look pretty smooth probably just new pistons and rings gaskets and put back together. If there is much scuffing on the pistons, I may do the Indy Dan HG7 hone cylinders.

Premium Features