• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone gone Khaos back to Pro?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Great vid - from 2:25 to 5:40 ish in is the best Khaos to Pro comparison I have seen, and mirrors my experience. If you have something hairy to navigate, the Pro just does it smoother and more predictably. The Khaos will do it for sure, but you can tell in that timeframe on video - he is thinking much harder about corrections and over-corrections, and he's putting in a lot more little muscle and throttle movements to accomplish the same point A to B. He misses his line a couple times because of all that. And that's a good rider - so those challenges would be magnified by an average rider. An average guy would have had way more fun on a Pro in that situation, because it would inspire more confidence.

Take the sleds out of that drainage and in to something more open, less consequences, fun little windlips, etc - everything changes, and most of us would want the more playful machine.

Keep in mind, you can adjust the suspension on either sled to be MORE like the other, and also that you will get used to whatever you have.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That is an awesome comparison. Guess I'm going to have to ride a 155 kaos. The 165 and my buddy's last year 163 kaos is not like that at all. Just feels like a easier riding pro. Watching the pro was why i always thought the other brands were more fun in certain situations.
Kind of like the old difference between a 155 and 163 but in the same track length. Going off that video her 165 is similar to the 155 pro with better traction.

Last edited:

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Loved my years of 155 pro rmk. For turbo I had a 2016 163. Purchased a 2020 khaos 155 and enjoyed riding that so much I sold my turbo. Now I have a 2018 800 pro 155 and 2 2020 khaos 155. I have never had so much fun, but tight technical climbs are not were khaos shines. But Khaos is so fun every where else, and I can still get where I need to go and have a big ol that was crazy smile on my face.

for 2022, if they have a factory turbo I will do a 155 pro. If no factory turbo I might try a 165 khaos, but might hold off one my year.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Factory Khaos? Or a Pro conversion? Track size?
pro 155
ice age 165 kit, polaris khaos limiter straps, extended FTS with Raptor eyelet
Avid center drive 6 tooth, 3.5 pitch drivers
Polaris 165 series 8

buddy of mine has done the same, but a 163 x2.7 track and velocities he notices the same
another buddy has a factory Khaos, same thing. trenches more

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
I just put elevate spindles on my khaos .. haven't gotten a good ride yet, but I did notice more ski pressure in the garage .. I was told it makes it less like a khaos and more like a pro .. kinda like best of both worlds .. I did have a trail ride and noticed it tips over way easier ... hopefully i'll get a good ride in soon

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Was riding stupid steep and stupid deep in the trees and creeks this weekend. A buddy came to ride with us. He rides a 163 x 2.6" RMK and is looking to snowcheck. He tried the 165 x 2.75 Khaos and says that is the sled he will order this Spring. It is just an easier riding RMK and sidehills incredibly well.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I just put elevate spindles on my khaos .. haven't gotten a good ride yet, but I did notice more ski pressure in the garage .. I was told it makes it less like a khaos and more like a pro .. kinda like best of both worlds .. I did have a trail ride and noticed it tips over way easier ... hopefully i'll get a good ride in soon

My sled has been in the shop getting a new engine. I plan to install my Khaos kit - ride for a few - then install spindles. It will be tough leaving them set in the shelf. :)

You running the ski’s in the middle position ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
As far as handling goes the Khoas suspension can be set so you wouldn't even know it isn't a standard RMK. Lift or no lift depending on how you set it and it climbs very well. I thought it would suck on the climbs.
Forgive my ignorance but there isn't a setting for the RTS is there, like a lockout? Or would you have to shorten the limiter strap? What settings for the Khaos would make it more Pro-like?

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Forgive my ignorance but there isn't a setting for the RTS is there, like a lockout? Or would you have to shorten the limiter strap? What settings for the Khaos would make it more Pro-like?

You could replace the limit strap with IceAges limit strap that has three holes in it. Pro/Khaos and extra Khaotic. You could also taking preload out of FTS and adding Preload to RTS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Dan Adams entire fleet of sleds is Khaos, Chris Burandt entire fleet is the Pro. Burandt also thinks the 2.6” is still the best track. Just trying to make this harder and more confusing. ;)

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Its because of that comparison I discovered I'm a Pro RMK guy.. If I wanted an out of control wheelie monster I'd buy another Doo..
Exactly my thoughts as well. I got to ride my friends Khaos 155 few weeks ago in IP. In the tech terrain absolutely hated it. Felt like it wanted to wheelie way to much and had to constantly make small corrections were as my Pro is point & go. The great thing about having the Fox/Burandt shocks is if you want a little more playful Pro just set rear track shock to full soft.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you look at the video closely you will see he has the post forward/over the motor horizontal steering post, on the RMK. This is a very bad comparison as he is not used to the vertical steering on the Khaos. He also lets out and stabs the throttle over and over on the climb with the Khaos to make it lift. The only concern with the Khaos is if you go with the series 8 track that it has to run so tight to stop ratcheting. I expect tracks to split at the rear wheels. I will be going with a big wheel kit on mine.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Funny, I've really loved my RMKs the last few years, and "playful" is always the word I use to describe why. Nevertheless, as I watch that Turcotte video, I start to wonder if maybe I'm just getting old or riding a different style or something, but I start thinking with the word "playful", can there be too much of a good thing? Interesting stuff to think about.

assaulted-one

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2013
ND
Went from a 15 pro with a turbo to a khaos 163 2.6. The pro feels like a heavy pig compared to the khaos. The only time I miss the turbo is if I think I need to go farther up the hill then everyone else.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
If you are a less active rider you will be much happier on a PRO.
Also, if you buy a Khaos and find it to be too much of a handful some simple suspension tweaks will help make it more manageable.
A great in-between is a Khaos suspension with a Pro length limit strap.

Premium Features