• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

riot and 3 inch track

C
hello , i can have descent deal on used Riot LE for my 500 ktm . my buddy that ride camso tel me i will get stuck everywhere . is there someone that ride the riot and 3 inch track ?
winter here is not so deep snow winter but we have 2 to 3 week off good riding in deep snow ( canada quebec not off ottawa region ) . that why i consider the riot for those month off low snow condition . if snow get rely deep i would change track for 3 inch , put more tension on back spring for lest wily and hope to go were camso goes . can someone give me is opinion and like to know how deep snow the riot can drive in whiteout having hard time or trouble . ero 129 wold be good for me but way to expensive new wen all the ad on hare made . for those dollard i will take yety freeride 2020 .

AnythingOutdoors

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2013
Search Jethro450 on youtube, he rides one and goes in some pretty deep stuff. I think it is just a matter of of how you set it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
100 percent set up... the riots go fine in the deep... now its not an aro 3 or yeti freeride but it can make it everywhere with a little more work and they are a ball. Set up as all snowbikes is super important... to me if you have low snow conditions that would be a great pick because you will have more fun...

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
Riots are fine for deep snow. The rumor of them being"just for tricks" is silly. The fun factor is the highest period. If you don't ride for fun then buy something bigger longer stiffer or with more bling and you'll be happy. Are there any mountains in Quebec? Short climbs in any amount of snow can be mitigated with creative line selection. I don't think a 3 inch will even help in dense east coast snow.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
100 percent set up... the riots go fine in the deep... now its not an aro 3 or yeti freeride but it can make it everywhere with a little more work and they are a ball. Set up as all snowbikes is super important... to me if you have low snow conditions that would be a great pick because you will have more fun...

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk
Yes. We rode steep deep with the Riot on a sx 450. we are all on Yeti, CMX Aero,s .he tried 4 attempts and never made half way up hill, He did fine most the day but it will not hang with a powder kit in the deep . Simply physics everything has a trade off.

E
Dec 19, 2007
if you could only make it half as far as the yeti then the setup was wrong obviously. it becomes a powder set up with the simple twist of a spring. but at that point it is still less track then the 129s. in the sled world it's like comparing a 150 Series to a 160 series. Not a huge difference but there is some benefit to a 160 if you're a hill climber.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
i can climb anything anyone else can on a riot vs my older aro, or 129/137s. weight bias is key... slack the strut form the recommended setup 3/8 of an inch at least. Run stiffer springs or crank up the pre-load a bit. Move your weight forward on the bike to climb. If needed on super steep climbs on deep snow you can then lock out the rear shock and at that point it climbs better than any other 120 kit I've ridden.

Stiffer springs reduce the wheelie nature of the kit a bit, but do not remove the weight transfer you get when applying the throttle... and that is really why the riot is so good. the handling and steering you get on the throttle where you are steering with the rear and floating the ski is just a blast. I'm never going back to a separate function rear skid.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
A part of setup on these kits for powder that is so critical is GEARING. For your particular bike you need to play with how to maxamize track speed. A 3" 129 with no track speed is worthless, you will get zapped by an old 2" with good setup gearing.

There is no magic number. Bike to bike, wide ratio VS Close ratio, I find you need to have a setup for powder where you can just easily pull 3 rd gear........maybe a little under geared in deep snow flat going, but still pulling hard on deep snow with some climb.

Just bolting one of these kits on a 450 with a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket will get you up on the truck and not a heck of a lot more.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Deer Lodge Montana
A part of setup on these kits for powder that is so critical is GEARING. For your particular bike you need to play with how to maxamize track speed. A 3" 129 with no track speed is worthless, you will get zapped by an old 2" with good setup gearing.

There is no magic number. Bike to bike, wide ratio VS Close ratio, I find you need to have a setup for powder where you can just easily pull 3 rd gear........maybe a little under geared in deep snow flat going, but still pulling hard on deep snow with some climb.

Just bolting one of these kits on a 450 with a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket will get you up on the truck and not a heck of a lot more.
Can you go to a smaller counter sprocket or change chain case gearing?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

Yes, the Aro 3 inch lacks track speed. There is simply not enough HP to keep spinning unless you gear low, Low gearing has no legs and is the reason the kit we rode with had trouble climbing, It does work great crawling through the powder but by no means will keep up in all conditions with a Belt drive freeride that spins the track very fast.

Last edited:
A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada

That's kind of a vague statement. Do you consider the factory gearing is too high or too low with a 13t counter shaft sprockets on most 450 mx bikes ? As a reference, I am currently running about 14,45" of track run out on my custom 120x2.5x12.5 kit, it might be a smidge tall gearing I think.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Deer Lodge Montana
That's kind of a vague statement. Do you consider the factory gearing is too high or too low with a 13t counter shaft sprockets on most 450 mx bikes ? As a reference, I am currently running about 14,45" of track run out on my custom 120x2.5x12.5 kit, it might be a smidge tall gearing I think.
I feel my 2021 Riot is a little high geared. Struggling sometimes in second gear. I am thinking about going to 12 tooth counter shaft sprocket but is that too small?

Premium Features