• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

skinz heated brake lever

nickk

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2009
the lever is so hot you can not touch it ; any body got a fix?

chralle

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2009
north of sweden
Maybe you could splice it in with your hand and thumbwarmer ?
Then you would be getting a switch for it ?

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I've got one on order for an 800. Reading these complaints I plan to wire in either a switch or knob. I just need to know how many amps this thing pulls. Did the packaging list the amperage? The pathetic Skinz website certainly doesn't.

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
I've got one on order for an 800. Reading these complaints I plan to wire in either a switch or knob. I just need to know how many amps this thing pulls. Did the packaging list the amperage? The pathetic Skinz website certainly doesn't.
I just installed one. I had to redrill for the parking brake pin as it was to small. I would have expected some new keepers at least for the pins rather than reusing. Luckily I had some snap rings as the factory one bent taking it off. I have 1 ride with it so far. A switch is probably in order for mine.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
No issues with mine, when riding. Without gloves and in the driveway or garage - yes, too hot to keep a finger on. When riding, awesome !

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I recently installed one on my pro-ride, so not sure if it's the same for the newer 850 version, but I discovered that the lever actually has a 3-wire heater element that supports low and high output. The 3rd low circuit wire is not used and just dead-ends under the heat shrink. I'm guessing Skinz wired it that way for simplicity to just plug into accessory power (always on, always high).

I wired up a simple 2-way splitter that plugs into my thumb heat, and than the 3-wire Skinz lever to that. The lever now works with my factory heat switch: low, high and off. It's been working great for a few hundred miles now.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
These aren't adjustable? always on? Polaris should just offer them from the factory heated on the mountain sleds.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
the lever is so hot you can not touch it ; any body got a fix?
I went to the local hardware store and bought a simple rocker switch and mounted it on the hood panel just about directly below the brake lever. $5 and 5 minute fix. Before that I couldn't unload the damn sled out of the trailer fast enough to keep from burning my fingers! My wife loves it - I think I'll put one on my sled if they ever make any more of them. Out of stock everywhere -

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I recently installed one on my pro-ride, so not sure if it's the same for the newer 850 version, but I discovered that the lever actually has a 3-wire heater element that supports low and high output. The 3rd low circuit wire is not used and just dead-ends under the heat shrink. I'm guessing Skinz wired it that way for simplicity to just plug into accessory power (always on, always high).

I wired up a simple 2-way splitter that plugs into my thumb heat, and than the 3-wire Skinz lever to that. The lever now works with my factory heat switch: low, high and off. It's been working great for a few hundred miles now.
Could you throw some install pics up if these ever come off backorder?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Could you throw some install pics up if these ever come off backorder?
This is what I did.

skinz-lever-rewired-1.jpg
Heres the standard wiring as it came from Skinz, but with the heat shrink removed and the 2 wire connector chopped off. The red/brown 20awg wires from lever were soldered to the 18awg red/black wires of the connector. The black wire from lever just dead ended under the heat shrink.

skinz-lever-rewired-2.jpg
This pic shows the pig tail splitter I wired so that I could plug the lever in parallel with factory thumb heater. I picked up factory connectors from Mouser for plug-and-play and easy reversal, but no reason you couldn't just splice in the Skinz lever wires with the thumb heater wires to accomplish the same.

Lever wires:
Black - Low
Red - High
Brown - Ground

This is all done on a pro-ride, but it's the same lever Skinz sells for Axys 600/800. I'd bet the 850 is the same, just with a different connector.

Can't remember the exact numbers off hand, but I did check the amp draw to be sure the thumb circuit could handle the lever as well, checked out for me. On high, the lever spikes initially around 7amps but within a second or two it settles below 2.

I can't guaranty any of this, but again it's been working well for me. High, low and off all controlled from the factory switch!

Last edited:

JoBoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Champaign, IL
Anyone know where to get the rca accessory plug-in for the 850? I have a heated lever off an 800 I want to move to the 850 but seems they changed the connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Wound up picking one up off ebay, unfortunately it looks like they dumped the 3rd wire as there are only 2 wires now.

Anyone ever look at adding a potentiometer or rheostat with an adjustable knob like the old yamaha srx used to have for handwarmers?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Anyone know where to get the rca accessory plug-in for the 850? I have a heated lever off an 800 I want to move to the 850 but seems they changed the connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the dealer.

It’s sold to hook up heated helmet shields.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Wound up picking one up off ebay, unfortunately it looks like they dumped the 3rd wire as there are only 2 wires now.

Anyone ever look at adding a potentiometer or rheostat with an adjustable knob like the old yamaha srx used to have for handwarmers?
I've looked into it a bit and decided to do a PWM (pulse wave modulation) controller. Unlike a potentiometer it doesn't drop voltage, but decreases the amount of time the target sees the full voltage. I'm not sure how the Skinz heater would handle lower voltage. I was hopeful the above three wire trick would work so I have not ordered parts considering Im still waiting on a lever. Fingers crossed it has the three wires. if not I'll buy the PWM and report back. Might be a while given the back log...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I've looked into it a bit and decided to do a PWM (pulse wave modulation) controller. Unlike a potentiometer it doesn't drop voltage, but decreases the amount of time the target sees the full voltage. I'm not sure how the Skinz heater would handle lower voltage. I was hopeful the above three wire trick would work so I have not ordered parts considering Im still waiting on a lever. Fingers crossed it has the three wires. if not I'll buy the PWM and report back. Might be a while given the back log...
Looking at the imported PWM controllers, they don't appear all that water resistant. How do you plan to keep the electronics sealed up?

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Looking at the imported PWM controllers, they don't appear all that water resistant. How do you plan to keep the electronics sealed up?
Originally I was going to make a sealed enclosure and use a cheap PWM. I've since decided to use a water resistant "LED dimmer" knob from amazon. They cost more (~$25-30), but I'd like to "buy once, cry once".

I'm annoyed Skinz doesn't make these more user friendly. Sell the damn thing with a pigtail to splice into the existing switch controls. It's not that difficult. Hopefully mine shows up with three wires so I can splice it in and avoid the PWM knob all together.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Lever wires:
Black - Low
Red - High
Brown - Ground

it's been working well for me. High, low and off all controlled from the factory switch!
Thanks for doing the hard work.
I just received one in the mail. I was expecting a two wire element as others have mentioned receiving them with only two wires.
I looked closely at the lever and see three distinct wires. I'll pull it apart eventually and build a pigtail.

I am a bit disappointed as I was curious how the PWM controller would work. Maybe I'll try one out any way.

Zaasman, how did you find the oem style connectors? Mouser electronics catalog is massive! I too would like to be able to return the sled to stock easily.

thx!

Premium Features