• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 800 axys RMK broken primary clutch bolt

U
Nov 29, 2007
New to us sled 1600 miles we have had it for the last 500 miles and have never removed the primary clutch. Bolt broke and bored a hole through the side panel. broke off piece of the bolt removed itself from the crank shaft and was retrieved with a magnet. Clutch stayed on the crank.

Has any one used a regular grade 8 bolt instead of the oem bolt?

thanks

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
New to us sled 1600 miles we have had it for the last 500 miles and have never removed the primary clutch. Bolt broke and bored a hole through the side panel. broke off piece of the bolt removed itself from the crank shaft and was retrieved with a magnet. Clutch stayed on the crank.

Has any one used a regular grade 8 bolt instead of the oem bolt?

thanks
I replaced my buddies with another polaris bolt.

plenty of guys going to titanium bolts should be easy to find a stocker.

or eBay since they are the same from 2008.

U
Nov 29, 2007
We did replace it with a oem bolt . It broke right were the threads start I have never seen one break b in the last 35 years. I had on come loose on my 440 xcr it made a big mess. At least this on only put a hole in the side panel.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
We did replace it with a oem bolt . It broke right were the threads start I have never seen one break b in the last 35 years. I had on come loose on my 440 xcr it made a big mess. At least this on only put a hole in the side panel.
The one I replaced broke when torquing the bolt after an engine rebuild.

U
Nov 29, 2007
Had the primary clutch break in 2 today on my sons 2018 Broke off right at the end on the crank. Fixed sheave is still on the crank. Of course we are one good climb away from towing it out.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Had the primary clutch break in 2 today on my sons 2018 Broke off right at the end on the crank. Fixed sheave is still on the crank. Of course we are one good climb away from towing it out.
Angle grinder cut carefully until the taper separates with a cold chisel.

Pry it off.

Install another clutch and ride out.

Premium Features