• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Trailer Floor Option

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
In response to your thoughts on livestock mats...

I installed a 3/8” rubber marine carpet that was similar on top to industrial rugs for businesses.

6 years of Skaggs and abuse and no significant wear.

Single piece, waterproof glued and sealed including both ramps. Very tough and amazing traction.
Steam cleaned once a year and looks brand new after, great for bare feet while camping.

Only caution is if you dump a can of gas, not just normal spills, but major, I had the rubber blister after. Was able to clean then heat to shrink back down, and only one 4” diameter blister after all these years.

28’ by 8’ trailer was $1200 installed including ramps.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I drilled some 3/8 holes at low spots in trailer by doors, rubber fibers hide them so well I had to make a hole map to find them to clean occasionally.

R
Nov 30, 2019
I use to have an IQR that was studded up and I ran into the trailer a couple times. My studs were basically new at the time and they will leave some pretty good marks in these tiles, especially if you happen to accidentally spin!! I have since sold the IQR and only have been running mountain sleds in my trailer but if I had a studded track, I'm not sure if I would be running this floor??? Will it work.....yes but it will show wear much faster with studs. Also remember that these can be replaced really easy, so once a tile happens to get trashed, you can always replace that one or two and you're good for a while again. It's way easier to replace a tile or two then the floor of your trailer!!!

Hope that helps?? Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Jim
Hi Jim, Thanks again for all your info. on these tiles! I do have another question that has crossed my mind lately; Have you had any issues with your sleds freezing to the tiles after riding and/or any other time? Thanks again, Ray

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Hi Jim, Thanks again for all your info. on these tiles! I do have another question that has crossed my mind lately; Have you had any issues with your sleds freezing to the tiles after riding and/or any other time? Thanks again, Ray

Hey Ray,

To answer your question......NO not at all, in fact the tiles help immensely with ice buildup in the trailer. Prior to the tiles, I just had the wood floor exposed and once you have ice adhered to the wood it was there for a while and didn't just clean off. Since adding the flow through tiles, the ice doesn't seem like it can really attach itself anymore, if that makes sense. What ice ends up in there, is easy to remove. Simply kicking it or just a quick stomp on the floor, the tiles flex just ever so slightly and presto, the ice breaks lose and it's swept out! Same goes for the sleds as they drip off and then freeze, they don't stick at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, adding these tiles was probably the best upgrade I did to my trailer. The only question is the "stud issue" but I don't run anything with studs anymore and really when I did, the damage from the studs was minimal, as long as you didn't spin the track on the tiles.

Since I did my trailer with these tiles, there are even more options out there, so when the time comes and I upgrade my trailer, I will definitely shop around to see if there is even a better option available.

R
Nov 30, 2019
Thank you..... That's great news. As you may have gathered from my earlier post, I really like the RibTrax. If I went that route I would be faced with two scenero's, either change my track and go studless or throw down rubber matting through the winter months to protect it. This DeckTred tile looks promising for durability but, for looks??? I have a few tiles from Matexlex ll which may be great for durability but not, in the looks department compared to the RibTrax.... which you already know. I'm still trying to figure it all out..... Thanks again for easing my mind about the freezing to floor factor. Ray ?

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Thank you..... That's great news. As you may have gathered from my earlier post, I really like the RibTrax. If I went that route I would be faced with two scenero's, either change my track and go studless or throw down rubber matting through the winter months to protect it. This DeckTred tile looks promising for durability but, for looks??? I have a few tiles from Matexlex ll which may be great for durability but, in the looks department compared to the RibTrax.... which you already know. I'm still trying to figure it all out..... Thanks again foor easing my mind about the freezing to floor factor. Ray ?

No problem at all.

Just make sure and post up pics!!

R
Nov 30, 2019
Absolutely.... It'll be awhile due to not receiving my trailer in late December or January. Unfortunately, lead time on Legend trailers are 16 weeks out. ? I'm am glad that I'm investigating all of this now in advance. ?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Absolutely.... It'll be awhile due to not receiving my trailer in late December or January. Unfortunately, lead time on Legend trailers are 16 weeks out. ? I'm am glad that I'm investigating all of this now in advance. ?

What exactly are you getting from them?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Had to order due to the color I wanted, Silver Frost. The first link is just like it with the exception of mine being 26', no fuel doors and I'm having the front ramp and entry door placed on the passenger side, not roadside. Scrooll down to see the pic's. The second link touches on their manufacturing;
https://legendmfginc.com/trailmaster-v-nose-85/

Nice!! I do like my Legend and will more then likely consider them again when I upgrade someday.

I do have to ask, why ramp and entry door on the passenger side vs. the drivers side? Just curious, as I personally would not want the loading ramp on the passenger side. If you have to pull into an area that requires parking on the road, it makes it difficult to load and unload on that ditch side. Also, for me the walk in door on the drivers side works a little better too for a couple reasons. When your filling gas at the station, it's easier to walk back a few steps open the trailer door and take a peak then walking around or crossing over the hitch and then going around. Plus at our house, our parking pad is on the right side of the garage, so if the walk in door was on the passenger side, that would mean it would be on the side that is next to the garage, making it harder to get in and out when parked.

Again, just curious not saying its wrong or anything. It's always interesting to get another perspective.

And of course congrats on the trailer, you'll love it!!

R
Nov 30, 2019
Nice!! I do like my Legend and will more then likely consider them again when I upgrade someday.

I do have to ask, why ramp and entry door on the passenger side vs. the drivers side? Just curious, as I personally would not want the loading ramp on the passenger side. If you have to pull into an area that requires parking on the road, it makes it difficult to load and unload on that ditch side. Also, for me the walk in door on the drivers side works a little better too for a couple reasons. When your filling gas at the station, it's easier to walk back a few steps open the trailer door and take a peak then walking around or crossing over the hitch and then going around. Plus at our house, our parking pad is on the right side of the garage, so if the walk in door was on the passenger side, that would mean it would be on the side that is next to the garage, making it harder to get in and out when parked.

Again, just curious not saying its wrong or anything. It's always interesting to get another perspective.

And of course congrats on the trailer, you'll love it!!
Thanks.... I'm exciteded!! You touched on one of my main reasons. Parking situation..... Your parking is opposite of mine both at my home and cabin. Main trail system is less than 1/2 mile from the cabin therefore, I'm able to ride to the trail from my driveway. Other situations are normally from a motel parking lot or snowmobile parking area. My other thought in regards to the entrance door was staying off the roadside while looking things over. Yes, it's kind of a pain to walk around to get quick access but, I'm used to it. There is definately Pro's & cons in either situation when on the road. Another thing in my situation, I can see my entrance door and ramp doors when normally parked.
The following link shows the spoiler with loading lights in pic's 5, 6 & 7 that I'm also having done as an option;

https://www.tandemaxletrailer.com/new-legend-trailmaster-8-FDzi.html

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
That’s awesome, can’t wait to see the finished product !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Nov 30, 2019
Just wanted to drop in..... I decided to go with the SwissTrax Ribtrax. I just received all of it in Jet Black. I'm figuring on Caliber products for the ramp doors such as their TraxMat and LowPro grip slides. I picked up a couple 3/4" stall mats that have a pebble top with grooves underneath found HERE . These weigh in at 95lbs each and are solid rubber. My plan is to cut one 31 1/2" w x 4' and center it in the beaver tail portion of the floor. That width measurement is exactly the same as two RibTrax tiles. With that centered, I'll place two tiles on each side of it to the wall. This mat and the tiles match perfectly flush as if they were made for one another. The rest of the floor will fit six tiles across perfectly, allowing for me to install L Track along the sides. I'm still considering removing my studs and the possibility of retractable ski wheels or something like the Caliber Sled Wheels HERE to help save tile life. Only bad thing about all of this is waiting for my trailer to come in....... ?

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Just wanted to drop in..... I decided to go with the SwissTrax Ribtrax. I just received all of it in Jet Black. I'm figuring on Caliber products for the ramp doors such as their TraxMat and LowPro grip slides. I picked up a couple 3/4" stall mats that have a pebble top with grooves underneath found HERE . These weigh in at 95lbs each and are solid rubber. My plan is to cut one 31 1/2" w x 4' and center it in the beaver tail portion of the floor. That width measurement is exactly the same as two RibTrax tiles. With that centered, I'll place two tiles on each side of it to the wall. This mat and the tiles match perfectly flush as if they were made for one another. The rest of the floor will fit six tiles across perfectly, allowing for me to install L Track along the sides. I'm still considering removing my studs and the possibility of retractable ski wheels or something like the Caliber Sled Wheels HERE to help save tile life. Only bad thing about all of this is waiting for my trailer to come in....... ?

I'm doing something similar. I too decided on Ribtrax. I was really interested in the Decktred. I called and they were going to send a couple samples but they never showed up. I called back 2 more times and even sent them a text and silence. Not interested in anything where I can't contact anyone if I need any support. Anyway, can't wait to get the floor installed!Trailer - Final.jpg

Last edited:
R
Nov 30, 2019
I'm doing something similar. I too decided on Ribtrax. I was really interested in the Decktred. I called and they were going to send a couple samples but they never showed up. I called back 2 more times and even sent them a text and silence. Not interested in anything where I can't contact anyone if I need any support. Anyway, can't wait to get the floor installed!View attachment 360805
Unbelievable!! I just went through the same thing!! I was interested in looking at DeckTred as well. I sent them two emails approx. one week apart from one another. The first one they responded stating that they would send me a couple full ones.... nothing. Emailed them back.... nothing. Waited about three, four days and called. I talked to a guy named Parker and he stated that he ships things out on Wednesdays and Thursdays..... that was close to two weeks ago. I came up with the same conclusion as you....
I decided on RibTrax after conversing here with FatDogX in this thread. Paying attention to his experience and after conversing with SwissTrax, I couldn't be happier with my decision. They were extremely helpful and got my tiles out right away. In addition, they assured me that if I need to make any changes they would work with me. Now that's what I call great business.
Your layout.... Awesome!! Here's the funny part, I was thinking of going with red on the sides as well due to also using my trailer for my red Honda Goldwing trike and matching trailer. I have a 2' ATP kickplate all around and thought either combination would look awesome..... either all jet black or like yours.
My trailer is ordered in which it's suppose to be in either late December or January. With that being said, I may wait until the weather breaks in the spring to install everything due to my pole barn not being quite big enough. On the other hand, once my trailer is here I may throw heat in it and go to town..... LOL. Right now, I'm gathering everything I need looking for best prices, etc.
Please keep in touch..... I would and I know other's here would love to see some pic's as you move along. Thanks for jumping in. Ray ??

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Anyone else pick up some new flooring over black friday/cyber monday? I saw SwissTrax and Race Deck both had 20-25% sales going on. If you missed out keep it in mind for next year!

The SwissTrax stuff looks really nice, but it is on the upper end of the price point. Our gooseneck trailer has a floor square that's exactly 8' x 32', and it was going to cause a lot of waste (and extra cost) with the tile dimensions they have. Race Deck, Deck Tred, and Mateflex are all 12" square and would work better in that aspect. I haven't heard much feedback on the Mateflex and their website was really geared toward tennis courts instead of shops and trailers so I was a little put off in that aspect. So I was really looking into Race Deck and Deck Tred. Called and talked to both and they were helpful with any questions I have. With the sale price Race Deck was going to be a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I think that ice dropping off of a sled would be a little less likely to stick to the SwissTrax or Race Deck type tiles with their rounded cleats. Race Deck is rated to -20 and has a 20 year workmanship warranty, but they wouldn't be able to warranty any tiles that had been cut or trimmed and no warranty for wear.

Parker at Deck Tred offered a bit of a discount (not as good as Race Deck) and picked up both times I called. Despite not offering a set warranty period he said if it wasn't wearing as expected within a year they'd buy it back. I liked the idea of maybe having a little more traction on the Deck Tred tiles. It also looks like to me that with the design of the Deck Tred it would be less likely to drop small bolts or screws and lose them through the tiles. We do use our trailer for a mobile workshop at times so that was appealing to me. These were supposedly tested to -40. It's not uncommon to get -35 where my dad lives near Canada, and while we don't ride when it's that cold it's nice to know if we are loading/unloading a sled we won't be cracking a tile when it's that cold. So I placed an order for enough lime green and black Deck Tred tiles to do the main floor in our trailer. Sticking with caliber grip glides on the rear drop door and there's no front door in this trailer. He claimed normally they keep enough product in stock to fill an order like that, but they just sent out a few big orders for aircraft hangers and black is 20-21 days out. He had enough to do other colors or all lime green, but I wanted some black to make the green pop a little more. So hoping for a pre-Christmas delivery and will have a nice install project over the holidays. I'll update with pics when it's done!

R
Nov 30, 2019
Anyone else pick up some new flooring over black friday/cyber monday? I saw SwissTrax and Race Deck both had 20-25% sales going on. If you missed out keep it in mind for next year!

The SwissTrax stuff looks really nice, but it is on the upper end of the price point. Our gooseneck trailer has a floor square that's exactly 8' x 32', and it was going to cause a lot of waste (and extra cost) with the tile dimensions they have. Race Deck, Deck Tred, and Mateflex are all 12" square and would work better in that aspect. I haven't heard much feedback on the Mateflex and their website was really geared toward tennis courts instead of shops and trailers so I was a little put off in that aspect. So I was really looking into Race Deck and Deck Tred. Called and talked to both and they were helpful with any questions I have. With the sale price Race Deck was going to be a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I think that ice dropping off of a sled would be a little less likely to stick to the SwissTrax or Race Deck type tiles with their rounded cleats. Race Deck is rated to -20 and has a 20 year workmanship warranty, but they wouldn't be able to warranty any tiles that had been cut or trimmed and no warranty for wear.

Parker at Deck Tred offered a bit of a discount (not as good as Race Deck) and picked up both times I called. Despite not offering a set warranty period he said if it wasn't wearing as expected within a year they'd buy it back. I liked the idea of maybe having a little more traction on the Deck Tred tiles. It also looks like to me that with the design of the Deck Tred it would be less likely to drop small bolts or screws and lose them through the tiles. We do use our trailer for a mobile workshop at times so that was appealing to me. These were supposedly tested to -40. It's not uncommon to get -35 where my dad lives near Canada, and while we don't ride when it's that cold it's nice to know if we are loading/unloading a sled we won't be cracking a tile when it's that cold. So I placed an order for enough lime green and black Deck Tred tiles to do the main floor in our trailer. Sticking with caliber grip glides on the rear drop door and there's no front door in this trailer. He claimed normally they keep enough product in stock to fill an order like that, but they just sent out a few big orders for aircraft hangers and black is 20-21 days out. He had enough to do other colors or all lime green, but I wanted some black to make the green pop a little more. So hoping for a pre-Christmas delivery and will have a nice install project over the holidays. I'll update with pics when it's done!
Guess Parker was to busy to take care of a couple of us as you've probably read above. Seemed nice when I talked to him but, he decided to ghost me all together. I am however extremely happy that I went with SwissTrax Ribtrax which will work perfect in my new trailer..... once it gets here.....LOL. SwissTrax in a word were "Awesome" to work with and sent them out immediately. My trailer is 97" across in which the RibTrax will fit six tiles perfect with my planned L track running along the sides. Thanks for your input. ??

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Yeah that sucks and hearing about your experiences was a little off-putting. When he picked up both times I called I decided to give them a shot. The real test will be how communication goes if the shipping is severely delayed beyond what we discussed. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

If the Ribtrax would have been a closer fit in my trailer I definitely would have been more inclined to go that way. I would have been throwing 90% of a 32' row away along one side of the trailer to fill it out wall to wall.

Premium Features