• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drilling Rails for Scratchers

C
Feb 10, 2019
Saskatchewan
Am i a fool being that i am considering drilling my rails to install BRP spring scratchers?
Really want to use the BRP setup as i have a complete set almost brand new and a brand new set of springs to go with.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
Ive drilled a few to put on skidoo reversable scratchers and have had no I'll effects yet but we don't jump a ton

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I always look for a way around it... if you do drill make sure it is a spot that has lots of meat around it... these new rails are so lightened with material removed that I prefer to use an existing mounting hole if possible.
EDIT: That being said, I ended up going with the Ice Storm scratchers, they throw up a lot more than stock, I am impressed. I think I am going to finally put in the mtntk 3' cooler in my Axys that I bought a couple years ago for my Pro...

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Hmmm, I'd say it depends in part on how your ride. If you've bent rails before, then it's probably not worth the risk of weakening the rail. On the other hand it might not make enough difference to matter for you, even on a lighter rail. I've drilled new holes so I could run the front idler wheels and scratchers, and it didn't cause any problems, but that was on my old sled with heavier rails than an AXYS. I wouldn't say never, just that you're taking some risk: obviously, if you bend a rail, that's going to cost you more than a new pair of scratchers. If you do drill, try to keep it in a "meatier" area as mentioned, and I'd add to keep it away from the edges – I can't think of a better way to weaken a rail than a hole close to the edge of a highly stressed area.

C
Feb 10, 2019
Saskatchewan
Installed the ibexx 2.0

Didnt wanna drill anything new for the hangers, really bad spot to drill, IMO, so fabbed up some bolt on brackets
Ok so my other idea is what im going with after seeing your sliders.
im going to take a dremel and take out a little bit if the top of the slider. The BRP spring bracket will fit perfectly in between those two profiles on the rail. I will use a piece of aluminum flatbar on the backside of one of the cut outs in the rail. No holes needed.
will post pics when done

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
you can also just tuck the end of the scratcher in the big hole in the rail .. it stays there nicely.. don't need any scratcher holders

This ☝️
Make the one hole a bit bigger and install that’s it done.
The BRP hangers just rip off anyway.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I ride with a bunch of Doo's and their scratchers do a poor job of shooting snow as they are too thin to apply enough force, That said if you break off another type of scratcher it does nothing and then the Doo scratchers will look like a good option. Going this route really depends if you need a little or a lot of cooling.

K
Jun 30, 2017
I just tucked the doo scratcher into that hole in the rail, it rubbed thru the ice rail a bit so i wouldnt try it on a powdercoated rail, never fell out all season

Premium Features