• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Turbo Expert owners---- Check your Primary Clutch!!

Hello!

I'm the proud owner of a new 2021 Turbo Expert 165". After picking up my sled at the dealer, I put her in my Shop and began the process of making her my own. I set up the bars and controls the way I like them, installed a few minor mods like a brake reservoir guard and an adjustable brake lever. Then I went 'big' and installed Tom's suspension front and rear. Finally, I decided to thoroughly clean the clutches just like all the pre-season videos suggest. This is when I noticed that my Primary Clutch does not have any 'clicker' adjustments, it just has a plain 'roller' in each of the three spots where the 'clickers' would normally be. That's strange, because there's a sticker on my clutch cover explaining how to adjust the 'clickers', that I don't have on my clutch. Maybe the Turbo models have a special, non-adjustable clutch? I checked the little Owner's Manual (because Shop Manuals are not available yet!), and it shows the Primary to be adjustable.

So, I had a friend with another Turbo snap a photo of his clutch and send it to me.... and sure enough, his clutch has 'clickers'!!! Skidoo installed the WRONG PRIMARY CLUTCH on my brand new machine!!!!

I called my Dealer where I bought the machine (100 miles away) and explained the situation. And they did not believe I knew what I was talking about. They made me send them a picture of my clutch, and even then they didn't believe me. After talking (yelling) to 3 different people at the Dealership, and having to send all of them pictures of my clutch AND my friend's correct clutch, I FINALLY convinced them that I had the wrong clutch on my machine!

So, if you have a new Summit, Turbo or not, I would check your Primary Clutch for 'clickers'. It's not something I would normally think to check on a brand new machine. I'm guessing I'm not the only one this has happened to. Luckily, I noticed before I actually rode it. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had ridden the sled with the wrong clutch on it, especially a Turbo. There could have been some major damage if the clutch that's on it was able to handle the Turbo power. Now I'm worried that with all the Covid BS going on, that I may not be able to get the correct clutch right away.

Hopefully this info helps someone else out.

Attachments

• PXL_20201201_185331705.jpg
    PXL_20201201_185331705.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 271

Feb 14, 2010
That`s a PDrive clutch, which is right, they have to just change the ramps and install the clickers,
that ramp is just void of the clickers, right clutch wrong ramps with no clickers.
you will have to have the clutch spring checked out as well to see it`s the right one.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Holy hell, Skidoo needs to be informed of this screw up.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Everybody should check their clutches, not only for the correct parts, but mine looked like they had been submerged in corrosion protection oil. They were literally dripping ...

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I'd be finding the part numbers of the sheaves and make sure it is an 850 clutch and not a 600 or 4t clutch. I don't believe those have the wobble built into them.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Hello!

I'm the proud owner of a new 2021 Turbo Expert 165". After picking up my sled at the dealer, I put her in my Shop and began the process of making her my own. I set up the bars and controls the way I like them, installed a few minor mods like a brake reservoir guard and an adjustable brake lever. Then I went 'big' and installed Tom's suspension front and rear. Finally, I decided to thoroughly clean the clutches just like all the pre-season videos suggest. This is when I noticed that my Primary Clutch does not have any 'clicker' adjustments, it just has a plain 'roller' in each of the three spots where the 'clickers' would normally be. That's strange, because there's a sticker on my clutch cover explaining how to adjust the 'clickers', that I don't have on my clutch. Maybe the Turbo models have a special, non-adjustable clutch? I checked the little Owner's Manual (because Shop Manuals are not available yet!), and it shows the Primary to be adjustable.

So, I had a friend with another Turbo snap a photo of his clutch and send it to me.... and sure enough, his clutch has 'clickers'!!! Skidoo installed the WRONG PRIMARY CLUTCH on my brand new machine!!!!

I called my Dealer where I bought the machine (100 miles away) and explained the situation. And they did not believe I knew what I was talking about. They made me send them a picture of my clutch, and even then they didn't believe me. After talking (yelling) to 3 different people at the Dealership, and having to send all of them pictures of my clutch AND my friend's correct clutch, I FINALLY convinced them that I had the wrong clutch on my machine!

So, if you have a new Summit, Turbo or not, I would check your Primary Clutch for 'clickers'. It's not something I would normally think to check on a brand new machine. I'm guessing I'm not the only one this has happened to. Luckily, I noticed before I actually rode it. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had ridden the sled with the wrong clutch on it, especially a Turbo. There could have been some major damage if the clutch that's on it was able to handle the Turbo power. Now I'm worried that with all the Covid BS going on, that I may not be able to get the correct clutch right away.

Hopefully this info helps someone else out.

If you have a dial indicator, Check to make sure the fixed sheave has a runout in it. If not do not run that clutch on the sled.

I've been told by the Dealer that they will drive the 100 miles (here and back) with the new clutch and install it. We'll see.

We do not have great snow yet here in Grand Lake, Colorado, AND the Forest Service has not decided yet whether they are going to open our trail system this season or not, due to the massive wild fire we had here in October. So, I haven't missed any serious riding time.... yet.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Sounds like they will make it right.

Years ago on my REV I found some cracks in the nun and also found that several rivets for the a-arm mounts were never installed at the factory. I believed the missing rivets caused the cracks. The dealer wouldn't believe me even with pictures as he thought I crashed. Well after I took the nun off the sled and set it on the dealer's desk, I got a new nun for free.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
Dang! I guess anything can happen. Probably would have smoked the belt in short order if you had ran it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Dealer sent a mechanic to my house (100 miles) to fix my clutch!

The clutch that was originally installed did have the right spring in it, but the weights were huge, probably sea level weights, and of course, no clickers.

I now have the correct weights with clickers and I should be good to go!

A big shout-out to Vickery Motorsports in Denver/Aurora, Colorado for going the extra mile (literally!) to get me fixed up and solve this problem quickly!

Attachments

• PXL_20201203_210311582.jpg
    PXL_20201203_210311582.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 218
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
My Dealer sent a mechanic to my house (100 miles) to fix my clutch!

The clutch that was originally installed did have the right spring in it, but the weights were huge, probably sea level weights, and of course, no clickers.

I now have the correct weights with clickers and I should be good to go!

A big shout-out to Vickery Motorsports in Denver/Aurora, Colorado for going the extra mile (literally!) to get me fixed up and solve this problem quickly!

Did the mechanic check to see if the fixed sheave had the runout in it???? If the fixed sheave is true that clutch is still wrong.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
A part of me is thinking that is not a 850 clutch.
The tech could of even verified the p/n of the fixed sheave when it was off the sled.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
The tech could of even verified the p/n of the fixed sheave when it was off the sled.
I agree. If it were me I'd take the clutch off again and find the part # to confirm it is correct. If you have a non-850 sheave it is going to take your crank out at some point and that could be after your warranty is up.

rheinss10

Premium Member
Jul 3, 2008
NORTHERN MN

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 850 is the only one with clutched indexed to the crank. I don't believe you could install a 600 pdrive on a 850....not sure on a four stroke pdrive

I
Jul 5, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 850 is the only one with clutched indexed to the crank. I don't believe you could install a 600 pdrive on a 850....not sure on a four stroke pdrive
600RS fits right on a 850, no back side fan blades, ZERO wobble, and NO "D" index to crank...just fyi.. not sure on the 4 stroke stuff.....

Premium Features