• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS faulty?

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I've been trying to test or adjust a tps that has been giving me trouble. The sled is inconsistent and often sounds like it's bogging out. When testing baseline, throttle cable disconnected and adjustment screw backed off, I get inconsistent MVs. The values jump all over and occasionally say overload. I haven't even begun to loosen the tps or try the throttle range since I can't get it to read anything close to normal. Is this a symptom of a bad tps or is my fluke meter going crazy?

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
When it runs it will go into reverse most of the time.

I applied 12v to the ecu plug. It's possible I'm not getting good connection at the back probe. I'm using sewing needles for back probing.

Last edited:

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Sounds like your not making a connection with your Fluke. Do you have 12v applied to the correct lead? Will your sled go into reverse?

you were correct. i was backprobing the opposite side of the connector. for whatever reason, after moving to the proximal side of the connector i was getting solid readings from the fluke DMM. turns out the TPS is operating normally and all i did was check it and reset the idle. not sure what the value was at idle before but it's .940 now. next chance i get to work on it i'll be scoping the intake to see what the reeds look like. i have about 3,400 miles on the original set, so i'm guessing it's time to change them anyhow.

thanks again for the help

Premium Features