• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hummer EV

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
This is pretty sick. All electric 1000 horsepower 11,500 ft-lbs of torque, 350 mile range, 0-60 in 3 seconds. 35" tires, 37" availability, add 6" to your suspension at push of a button. Crab walk.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
To this point, there have been huge Federal and State tax credits for electric vehicles. $7500 on federal and $5000 in Colorado. Plus, you never pay for fuel (yes you pay for electricity). I just think you have to quantify the cost between electric and diesel/gas. For me, I'm concerned how the Hummer EV tows. I think it looks cool.

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
That 11500 ftlbs is wheel torque

Multiply your torque by your gear ratios and i bet you wont be impressed by that number anymore

Power wagon for example
430ft lbs torque
4.7 1st gear
2.6 low range
4.1 axle

= 21500 ft lbs
Add some stall factor into it for torque convert multiplication and its now 36000 ftlbs

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
To this point, there have been huge Federal and State tax credits for electric vehicles. $7500 on federal and $5000 in Colorado. Plus, you never pay for fuel (yes you pay for electricity). I just think you have to quantify the cost between electric and diesel/gas. For me, I'm concerned how the Hummer EV tows. I think it looks cool.

I more curious the range when towing. That's gonna be the Achille heal. But back to cost, the cost of ownership is gonna be a lot less with an EV. No oil changes, fuel filters, gear box fluids, air filter, etc, etc,etc. Very very low maintenance. I'm not sure this is gonna replace a tow rig, but for many people that are buying half ton trucks to drive daily, this is right there. 12,000 miles a year, 18 MPG is about $1200-$1400 a year in fuel. Electric is gonna cost 1/4 that.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
That 11500 ftlbs is wheel torque

Multiply your torque by your gear ratios and i bet you wont be impressed by that number anymore

Power wagon for example
430ft lbs torque
4.7 1st gear
2.6 low range
4.1 axle

= 21500 ft lbs
Add some stall factor into it for torque convert multiplication and its now 36000 ftlbs

Electric vehicles typically don't use a gear box, or even transmission for that matter. Basically a 1 speed. Each wheel has a separate electric motor. 100% of torque available at all speeds. This is the thrill with electric. Less maintenance, cost, etc.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
350 mile range gets me a third of the way to the mtns then charge overnight then go another third of the way then charge another night then turn around and start the 3 day drive home again.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
350 mile range gets me a third of the way to the mtns then charge overnight then go another third of the way then charge another night then turn around and start the 3 day drive home again.

If they can utilize the Tesla supercharging stations, you can get 80% charge (on a Tesla) in 40 mins.

But as mentioned earlier in this thread, if your towing, you’re not seeing 350 miles of range that’s for sure!

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
Electric vehicles typically don't use a gear box, or even transmission for that matter. Basically a 1 speed. Each wheel has a separate electric motor. 100% of torque available at all speeds. This is the thrill with electric. Less maintenance, cost, etc.

Well its 3 motors not 4

1 up front 2 in the rear

Front ratio of 13.3:1
Rear ratio of 10.5:1

Also you get 100% of torque at zero speed and up to a certain RPM and then it falls off, its not all the torque at all speeds

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Well its 3 motors not 4

1 up front 2 in the rear

Front ratio of 13.3:1
Rear ratio of 10.5:1

Also you get 100% of torque at zero speed and up to a certain RPM and then it falls off, its not all the torque at all speeds
either way, the torque rating is as fair as any truck produced by GM or any other manufacture. There is no amplification from the gear box.

As far as range goes, yes it won't be for everyone. But I think GM says you can get 100 more miles from a 20 minute quick charge station (electricfy America I believe). Although extended use of a quick charger will lower the lifespan of the batteries. Cold shouldn't effect them, I believe most of them are smart enough and will warm themselves obviously this comes at a cost. I believe extremely hot weather is actually harder on them. Batteries will warm when discharged, but keeping temps down on them is actually harder to manage.

Premium Features