• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Disappointed in BEST Warrenty

W
Apr 4, 2018
I have a 2017 Summit X which I took into the dealership this spring as it was showing a check engine light. The sled is still under the 4 year warranty that comes with a snowcheck. Dealer performed diagnostics and said that the issue is due to a broken wire somewhere in the main wiring harness. They submitted the claim to BRP who rejected it, saying they won't cover electrical components. Then the dealer tried charging me $50 to diagnose the problem.

I found this very frustrating for a few reasons; I have a friend who had his 2017 wiring harness replaced under the BEST warranty and I've read of others on here who have also. I wouldn't expect electrical components to wear out within 4 years, and if they do I would've though BRP would stand behind their product. Given the amount of money it costs to buy a sled and keep it under warranty, I really don't think there's a lot of reason to have a sled under warranty unless you put on a bunch of miles every year. I tried talking to BRP customer service and they were no help at all in the situation. Seems like Ski-doo warranty has gone down hill.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I have a 2017 Summit X which I took into the dealership this spring as it was showing a check engine light. The sled is still under the 4 year warranty that comes with a snowcheck. Dealer performed diagnostics and said that the issue is due to a broken wire somewhere in the main wiring harness. They submitted the claim to BRP who rejected it, saying they won't cover electrical components. Then the dealer tried charging me $50 to diagnose the problem.

I found this very frustrating for a few reasons; I have a friend who had his 2017 wiring harness replaced under the BEST warranty and I've read of others on here who have also. I wouldn't expect electrical components to wear out within 4 years, and if they do I would've though BRP would stand behind their product. Given the amount of money it costs to buy a sled and keep it under warranty, I really don't think there's a lot of reason to have a sled under warranty unless you put on a bunch of miles every year. I tried talking to BRP customer service and they were no help at all in the situation. Seems like Ski-doo warranty has gone down hill.

Same here last spring on my ‘17. I think it was over 500 to fix it as it’s a lot of labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland

That issue appears to be very common inside of 4 years which should t happen. So agree complete BS to not cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Had a 2017 Summit X 165 with a similar wiring issue, BRP replaced the entire wiring harness in warranty without any issues.......total out of pocket cost $50.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Depends, on the electrical thing, BRP doesn't like to allocate a lot of diagnostic time on wiring. A tech struggling with an open circuit or other electrical gremlin can start really racking up the hours. Other than clutches, tracks brakes, and other wear items, they'll usually cover it... as long as your service writer submits a well stated claim

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com

Find A Better Dealer / Check with another

I
Jul 5, 2001
Had same issue... 2nd injector fault code ( motor wire harness, have to pull motor to replace ) I have the CandooPro system cleared it twice kept coming back, took to dealer said falls under BEST warranty and won't cover it...so walked from service to sales ask what they give me for it and traded it in on a new turbo !!!! LOL !!

W
Apr 4, 2018
Is there really such a thing as a truly GREAT warranty??

I don't know if there is such a thing, but I do think there are companies doing it far better then Ski-Doo. When Polaris had issues with their newly released 850 engines they really stood behind them from what I understand. I had a 2014 Pro that I made a warranty claim on, and they went above and beyond to fix the problem.

W
Apr 4, 2018
Dealer matters a lot! What was the wire issue?

I agree, dealer does mean a lot. Unfortunate my closest dealer is 1 hour away, and the next closest is over 2. It would be a 4 hour round trip to drop off the sled at the next closest dealer. Although I do wish I would've done that, a lot of my buddies have stopped going to that dealer and now I will myself.

I asked them where the problem was and they didn't know. They only said a wire was broken in the main harness.

Last edited:
W
Apr 4, 2018
Call costumer service number and make a complaint with work order number and what you where told by dealer. They might change mind and cover it.

I tried calling the customer service number, but they weren't answering so I sent an email. They replied to my emails and honestly it was extremely frustrating talking to them. After a number of emails they finally said customer service can't do anything to overturn a denied warranty claim, I'd have to get my dealer to try. I talked to the dealer and they told me they agreed with me it should be replaced under warranty, but they didn't do much else to help.

Last edited:
W
Apr 4, 2018
Depends, on the electrical thing, BRP doesn't like to allocate a lot of diagnostic time on wiring. A tech struggling with an open circuit or other electrical gremlin can start really racking up the hours. Other than clutches, tracks brakes, and other wear items, they'll usually cover it... as long as your service writer submits a well stated claim

They quickly diagnosed the problem being in the main wire harness. I can't see them splicing a wire together even if they did find the broken wire, that really isn't a proper warranty fix.

In my opinion, I don't think that electrical falls under the category of wear item, especially after only 4 years.

I'm guessing that you're right in saying that customer service did not submit a well written claim.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
They quickly diagnosed the problem being in the main wire harness. I can't see them splicing a wire together even if they did find the broken wire, that really isn't a proper warranty fix.

In my opinion, I don't think that electrical falls under the category of wear item, especially after only 4 years.

I'm guessing that you're right in saying that customer service did not submit a well written claim.
Yeah, the one thing I learned in my time in the Army, was that paperwork is EVERYTHING... I wrote, and managed a BRP service Dept. We used to call submitting a claim "writing a story" You had to be, prompt, creative, and truly advocate for your customer. I rarely had a claim denial because I would dream up whatever bullchit I needed to tell them to get the claim through. that's part of how we maintained our status as a platinum dealer

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Agreed some dealers are much better at getting your issues taken care. There is a couple of dealers that I deal with because of how they have taken care of my warranty claims. I have other friends that have had issues with there local dealer & ended up going to another state to get his sled fixed.

Griz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
Reading this with interest. Just bought a brand new 2020 175 from dealer. Supposedly comes with 3 yr BRP warranty. However I didn't get any warranty paper work. Do these things not come with a warranty booklet that outlines what's covered and what's not covered, just like a new truck?

Premium Features