• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What will the 850 (factory) turbo resale be like?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I am considering snagging up a 850 turbo snow check that a dealer had the buyer back out on. I only have 1 fear.....resale. Will it be worth nothing after a 1 or 2 seasons like the sleds with aftermarket turbos? If I spend 4k more for the turbo'ed 850, will I get half that back out of it after 2 years, or will it be worth the same as an equivalent non-turbo 850 summit?

E
Jul 23, 2008
I've thought about this as well. I don't think you can get one right answer. The value will stay high this year. In season SP models don't have a turbo option. Motorsports are selling demand is high. Ski doo announces 20 more horse and 20 less pounds next year resale will go down. Also 2 years of warranty worries me for resale, i purchased an extra 3 years for 1500. Also depends on how reliable and beneficial the turbo proves to be. I think it will remain higher then an aftermarket turbo. Dealer support+professionally engineered by manufacturer will help.

R
Nov 16, 2016
The turbo engine will produce more power.
More expelled power from an engine = more potential engine wear.

Factor that in, and I would think that some may view this as actually diminishing the resale value.

We'll see as time unfolds!

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
Tom is one of the smartest on Ski-Doo. He's helped Bombardier develop Ski-Doos in the past. Based on spring 2020 riding in the Sierras, Tom said the 850 turbo is amazing.

Agree with 1709 above, should not be a reliability issue, for the reasons he well-described. Plus, Rotax motors in general have been durable.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Guessing we may see the 4 year warranty be applied to the factory turbo sled in the future........but maybe the smoke is getting to me......cough cough cough.

BRP likely thought about the fact that tuners will be playing with this model sled more to see if they can push the power and they don't want to be left holding the bag if these tuners push a little too far. In the stock form these sleds should hold together just fine as they are not pushing more power than a N/A at sea level. I do realize that mountain riding is much harder on a sled but they need to be designed for that.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
This is so true. I think if you sale with some warranty left you will be ok. Otherwise it's just a used turbo for sale with no warranty, and we know those can take a hit sometimes.
I would feel much more comfortable buying a used factory turbo sled with the factory tune vs. something somebody put together in their garage.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Doo didn't offer the 4 year warranty - because they didn't have to - demand was going to be high, no OEM competition, and a two year was all that was needed to seal the deal. There's a few who didn't buy a 20k USD sled because of the 2 vs. 4 year, but for most of these early adopters of a 20k sled who upgrade almost every year, anyways, it wasn't a deal killer. When poo does it's turbo thing, and will have to offer a 4 year just like they did with the release of their 850 for all the obvious reasons they have to offer it now, perhaps doo will bump the warranty to 4. Agree with all the thinking re: no more wear than a naturally aspirated 850. With the motor essentially in warranty prison, with all the controls and markings, their part warranty costs are likely to be less than the non-turbos, at least for the common parts between the two platforms, turbo and non-turbo.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Noting says "confidence" like a 4 year warranty.

Confidence? Polaris offered 4 year warranty to inspire confidence in its customers for the first year of their 850. "Oh it must be a great engine if they are offering 4 years warranty on it" We all know how that played out.

Warranty means very little to me. Most of the time the manufacturer is trying to scam you out of it.

Either way.. My opinion is this. Nothing says confidence like a factory 2 year warranty on a turbo 2 stroke.. Who else is doing it anyways? :LOL:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Confidence? Polaris offered 4 year warranty to inspire confidence in its customers for the first year of their 850. "Oh it must be a great engine if they are offering 4 years warranty on it" We all know how that played out.

Warranty means very little to me. Most of the time the manufacturer is trying to scam you out of it.

Either way.. My opinion is this. Nothing says confidence like a factory 2 year warranty on a turbo 2 stroke.. Who else is doing it anyways? :LOL:

It is not just confidence in the motor. It is about the entire chassis and that the company will back you if something goes wrong. My 2019 AXYS has been great and the updated flashes have been offered no charge. Now with 2 seasons of hard mountain riding I started to notice a wee little bit of clutch wear. I asked my dealer to pop it off for me while it was in their shop due to a failed throttle safety switch. Now I got an email last night telling me that Polaris is going to give me a brand new clutch. Way to go Polaris! (and Cycleworks Calgary)

Would Doo have done that with your turbo after 2 years? I hope so. We spend enough on these machines that they should look out for you.

I do however think that a 90 day warranty option should be available for those guys that decide to do major mods that could void the warranty. Why pay for it if you are not going to use it.

T
Aug 8, 2011
I reckon the turbo 850 is going to follow the same basic depreciation as every other used sled. 20 to 25% year one, 15% year two and then about 10% from there. I sold my expert last year for 12k, I paid 14200 plus a pipe and some misc. So in a half season it lost 20% plus the pipe and boards. But I had a blast with it and switched to the turbo. Just the way the game works!
Should be noted that 20 to 25% is a little worse on a 18k turbo sled than 14k sled but such is life.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
It is not just confidence in the motor. It is about the entire chassis and that the company will back you if something goes wrong. My 2019 AXYS has been great and the updated flashes have been offered no charge. Now with 2 seasons of hard mountain riding I started to notice a wee little bit of clutch wear. I asked my dealer to pop it off for me while it was in their shop due to a failed throttle safety switch. Now I got an email last night telling me that Polaris is going to give me a brand new clutch. Way to go Polaris! (and Cycleworks Calgary)

Would Doo have done that with your turbo after 2 years? I hope so. We spend enough on these machines that they should look out for you.

I do however think that a 90 day warranty option should be available for those guys that decide to do major mods that could void the warranty. Why pay for it if you are not going to use it.

Bingo! I 100% agree. Every other part on that doo turbo is the same as a 165hp NA sled at sea level. The main oil pump on the bottom of the oil tank is a 500 dollar part, not including labor, I replaced one on my 19 850. Under warranty of course, but Why would a turbo affect that warranty on that same oil pump.
Doo should of put two years on the turbo and 4 on the rest of the sled. I also wonder what the resale will be like when the warranty runs out. Especially if doo releases 4 years of warranty in two or more years.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I reckon the turbo 850 is going to follow the same basic depreciation as every other used sled. 20 to 25% year one, 15% year two and then about 10% from there. I sold my expert last year for 12k, I paid 14200 plus a pipe and some misc. So in a half season it lost 20% plus the pipe and boards. But I had a blast with it and switched to the turbo. Just the way the game works!
Should be noted that 20 to 25% is a little worse on a 18k turbo sled than 14k sled but such is life.

12k can or USD? I hope thats USD.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Resale will get worse as more 850 turbos get out there. The past year is not a good indicator because production was limited. Now, those who really wanted one last year but could not will get to buy one. If your worried about depreciation on a mass production sled, buy a low mile used one or wait another year to see. You won't miss out on much, and you will avoid the financial gut punch.

Premium Features