• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Diamond Recon BT vs Pieps Powder BT beacon

S
Feb 17, 2008
Chicago Illinois
I'm looking to purchase a few new beacons this season. I have read great reviews on the Black Diamond Recon BT and Pieps Powder BT beacon. I keep reading that their both the same as Pieps makes the beacons for Black Diamond. I believe that the BD version of the pieps is the updated version.

Does anyone have an opinion on what they think is a better choice?

Thanks in advance.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I'm looking to purchase a few new beacons this season. I have read great reviews on the Black Diamond Recon BT and Pieps Powder BT beacon. I keep reading that their both the same as Pieps makes the beacons for Black Diamond. I believe that the BD version of the pieps is the updated version.

Does anyone have an opinion on what they think is a better choice?

Thanks in advance.

I have the BD Recon BT and really like it so far. It's basically just an updated version of the previous generation Pieps. The slider button for on/off/search is much better secured to avoid accidental changes.

Normally I agree but when it comes to safety gear buy what you like, want, and trust.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Understood, but I disagree when there are perfectly good alternatives made by companies who don't financially support anti-snowmobile organizations. It would be different if there was a downside to buying from them, like quality, availability, or cost. None of these are issues with BCA, Mammut, and Arva. BCA has a long track record of working with the snowmobile industry instead of against it. Mammut and Arva have remained fairly neutral. Ortovox is more complex - some of their beacons have had issues, and their corporate HQ in Europe is anti-snowmobile while the North American distributor claims not to be. Sometimes the local reps for any of these companies might sponsor local anti-snowmobile events, which can get difficult to keep track of.

Last edited:
Premium Features