• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Assault rmk

P
Jul 23, 2020
I’m about to go look at/buy a 2011 assault rmk 800 with a 155” track. Anyone know about these sleds and their reliability. It was geared down to 19,45. I mostly ride lakes and backcountry but also some trails, it only has 1.4” lugs so it’s more of a “crossover”. If anyone has one of these and has an opinion on it lmk.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've got my eye out for a sled roughly in the price range I'm guessing that one's in, but from what I hear, the 2011s are very trouble-prone. I'm hoping to find a 13-15; '12 and '13 saw the most improvements. There's lots of info in old threads; I do remember a few posters suggesting they'd only buy an '11 for parts... That sled is an unusual setup: the track is definitely in the crossover range, but it's geared for deep snow and high elevation. Anyway, might be worth it if it's got a professionally built motor and fix kit, or if it's dirt cheap. If that sled is at the top end of your budget, I'd carefully consider the alternatives. Lots of options out there for cheaper that will last a lot longer, although the Pro chassis was a big step up – I'd say that's why prices haven't bottomed on them yet.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Best shocks offered on the RMK. Also came with the 2.25 harder durometer track. The motors were known for grenading within 1k miles of mountain riding, both piston and cylinder skirts,. Takes out entire motor. A mix of injector issues, also, as the first year CFI2 800 was shipped with three different injector specs. Bulkheads would bend on hard impact behind the driveshaft, either side. Fix kits helped, but most didn't resolve the cylinder castings. I owned an 11 Pro, and did a motor fix before it grenaded, and was lucky with it, got out of it in 13 when the getting was good. If it was flat land driven, straight chassis/bulkhead, low miles, it could be attractive if priced right. Budget for a top end, regardless. Anything else is likely a project sled, and needs to be cheap. Best options are 14/15's in the Pro chassis. This chassis/motor changed everything for poo, but 11-13's could make alot of money disappear fast.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Another concern for this sled is oiling. The oiler can and should be turned up 2 turns as they run down the trail pretty lean. Secondly the oil tank cap is on an angle and with trail riding the vent in the cap may not get bumped open enough and a vacuum may occur. Lots of guys added an extra vent to the tanks to be sure. On the AXYS Polaris leveled the cap so the vent would open more often to avoid the vacuum condition.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Good catch on oiling. They all needed to be turned up, address the cap. Another option for the stock cap is to replace with a Summit duckbill cap. Really. Direct replacement. Think I only paid like $15. Works, breathes, will not leak. Another example of poo just stuck on a stupid design (like RMK foot wells, pro taper bar hooks, no tether, stupid expensive and restrictive fuel filter, the dumb glued Pro RMK a-arms until 16, the list goes on). Be aware, the Assault RMK had wider front end than the RMK and different rail profile mounted on lower hole.

tbergeron87

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2019
New Hampshire
As Reg2view said the 2008-2014 Polaris 800 CFI-4 and CFI-2 motors have a very bad reliability rating. In the 2015+ Polaris 800's received updates which made them more reliable. If your in the market for an 800 I would not go earlier than the 2015's. I bought a 2010 Polaris Dragon 800 without doing my research and really wish I knew what I know now before buying that sled. I would have saved 5k and had a newer sled that was more reliable.

P
Jul 23, 2020
You guys know more than me, after hearing all this, idk about the sled, I ride in up north Minnesota so I ride some backcountry and lakes and trails. It has 4,200 miles and 1500 on a rebuilt top end. He said the sled had been gone through. I know I can get it for $4,000. Is it worth it or is it a price of junk?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Probably not a piece of junk, but based on what I see in my neck of the woods, $4000 is high even as an asking price. I'd think if you keep your eyes open you can find a 13-15 Pro in similar or better shape for that money. It's possible it's been grannied and has lots of miles left to give, but you can't count on that unless you know the owner. I'd be hesitant to spend more than $2500 on it, personally.

P
Jul 23, 2020
Probably not a piece of junk, but based on what I see in my neck of the woods, $4000 is high even as an asking price. I'd think if you keep your eyes open you can find a 13-15 Pro in similar or better shape for that money. It's possible it's been grannied and has lots of miles left to give, but you can't count on that unless you know the owner. I'd be hesitant to spend more than $2500 on it, personally.
Yeah I didn’t buy it just for the fact of the weird gearing setup he put on it for Minnesota riding. Also I’ve been realizing that these mountain sleds Are so much cheaper out west if that’s where your from because there are more of them. $2500 could get you a 2005 skidoo mxz and that’s about it in Minnesota. 2011+ pros are $4500+ here

Premium Features