• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buena Vista area

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Hoping to get some feedback from fellow sledders. We are starting to plan our annual trip. We drive out from Maine for a week of riding each winter, typically the last week of January. We have recently done Tog and West Yellowstone. Looking to try out Colorado this year as it saves a whole bunch of drive time for us. I'd appreciate any feedback on the Buena Vista area. We had initially thought of going a bit farther north for say Rabbit Ears area but it sounds like that gets far more visitors. Maybe I'm wrong?

We are looking to do a bit of everything. Some in our group are experienced and want to play in the trees all day while others are still learning and prefer playing around in meadows with short spurts of pushing skills.

Any highly recommended lodging? Food/Bev?
Looks like we would clutch for 10k+?
Best place for fuel?
Trailheads have plenty of space for 24-30' trailers?

I'll take any and all input. Thanks

Stay safe

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
Fellow Mainer here, been in Colorado since '97. I used to ride Cottonwood Pass area mostly, but its worth driving to to Rabbit Ears. There are a lot of people in the lot, but you can ride all day without seeing anyone. There is a lot of area to ride and the snow is just better almost always.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Not CO, but the Snowy Range by Laramie WY has all types of riding, is probably closer, and though the parking lots have a bad reputation for being crowded it really isnt bad And probably isnt that way during the week.

S
Oct 6, 2009
BV would not be my recommendation for a group with varying skill levels. I agree with the above poster that Rabbit Ears would be better for what you described. Especially for the beginners.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
thanks for the input everybody. Looks like we should try Rabbit Ears out.

Snobinge, could you elaborate on why you wouldn't recommend it? That way I can take the advice back to the group.

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
If you choose Rabit Ears, Snowy Range is along your route. You could spend a day or two on the way out or back. If that’s of interest, check with the Albany Lodge for riding from the door. The west side of the Snowies might be a better option though, if traveling to Rabbit Ears.

J
Dec 6, 2018
If you choose Rabit Ears, Snowy Range is along your route. You could spend a day or two on the way out or back. If that’s of interest, check with the Albany Lodge for riding from the door. The west side of the Snowies might be a better option though, if traveling to Rabbit Ears.

I wonder what will be open up there after the Mullen fire.

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
According to what we were told at the last club meeting, the FS is currently keeping everything open. There is concern about the possibility blow down. They will be monitoring that issue and close areas if needed. Just keep in mind, there is a 12” minimum snow pack required for off trail riding. It will be much easier for them to monitor that this season.

J
Dec 6, 2018
Do you know what plans they have for Spring and Summer recreation? My son is at WU for the next 3.5 years. We were just outside of Albany in September when we got the news it was all closed. Would still love to get up there and explore the area but if they operate like they do here in Colorado, that area will be closed for years.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Plus, there's a free hot springs in Saratoga if you stay on the west side. 10 mile cabins, Rendezvous lodge both have accomodations. Trails right out the door pretty much.

The warming hut you speak of is Quealy. Lots of good riding in that area. Watch for creek ditches in fields all winter... They'll get ya!! :)

M
Fellow Mainer here, been in Colorado since '97. I used to ride Cottonwood Pass area mostly, but its worth driving to to Rabbit Ears. There are a lot of people in the lot, but you can ride all day without seeing anyone. There is a lot of area to ride and the snow is just better almost always.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Where do you park in rabbit ears to ride? Fellow mainer looking to go west next season

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Where do you park in rabbit ears to ride? Fellow mainer looking to go west next season
Yeah right on top of the pass on hwy 40 there is Muddy Creek or Dumont Parking. They are about a mile from each other. If you look at google earth or similar they are just to the south of Dumont Lake.

Last year we found Dumont easier to get in and out of. Muddy Creek was full of a holes who apparently just camp up there all winter, it makes snow removal, and getting in and out for everyone else a PITA.

Premium Features