• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TKI vs MVM belt drives

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Not likely you are going to find a person with experience with both current models, but lots have been sold. I used C3 drives on the past three sleds and was very happy with the product. I suspect you will find the same result with TKI or MVM

T
Aug 8, 2011
So overall they are proving to be reliable then.
Looks like both are listed as being 4 to 4.5 lbs lighter. 3lbs rotational on a tki, I would assume MVM is similar?

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
So overall they are proving to be reliable then.
Looks like both are listed as being 4 to 4.5 lbs lighter. 3lbs rotational on a tki, I would assume MVM is similar?

The MVM Motorsports Lightweight Belt Drive System for 2017-2018 models Skidoo Gen4 replaces the heavy stock chain drive with no modification to OEM parts. Installation takes approximately 2 hours. Kit includes double sealed bearing for the jack shaft and a seal for the drive shaft bearing for miles of worry free fun. No more chain slap and Smooth utilization of power.

Weight reduction of 4 lbs

Each pound of rotating mass is equal to 2 horsepower. You WILL notice huge gains in low and mid range power.

Our extensive research and hands on back country testing has led to what appears to be the strongest longest lasting belt on the market.

Each component is machined out of billet aluminum. Easy access adjustment with positive lock idler pulley with dual bearings. Opens up lots of space with a 2 quart see through plastic tank. Low oil sensor hole included. No more gear oil! No more broken chains and chain cases to repair in the back country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
The MVM Motorsports Lightweight Belt Drive System for 2017-2018 models Skidoo Gen4 replaces the heavy stock chain drive with no modification to OEM parts. Installation takes approximately 2 hours. Kit includes double sealed bearing for the jack shaft and a seal for the drive shaft bearing for miles of worry free fun. No more chain slap and Smooth utilization of power.

Weight reduction of 4 lbs

Each pound of rotating mass is equal to 2 horsepower. You WILL notice huge gains in low and mid range power.

Our extensive research and hands on back country testing has led to what appears to be the strongest longest lasting belt on the market.

Each component is machined out of billet aluminum. Easy access adjustment with positive lock idler pulley with dual bearings. Opens up lots of space with a 2 quart see through plastic tank. Low oil sensor hole included. No more gear oil! No more broken chains and chain cases to repair in the back country!

Everyone will have their own preference!

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i'm also considering a belt drive for my 2020 850 mainly for ease of maintenance and not having a busted chain ruin the day. in terms of performance is 8 hp a huge gain in performance and is that a realistinc assumption (2hp X 4lb weight loss=8hp gain) ? i've seen quite a few threads where people said they couldn't tell the difference in perfomance.

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
i'm also considering a belt drive for my 2020 850 mainly for ease of maintenance and not having a busted chain ruin the day. in terms of performance is 8 hp a huge gain in performance and is that a realistinc assumption (2hp X 4lb weight loss=8hp gain) ? i've seen quite a few threads where people said they couldn't tell the difference in perfomance.

Much more responsive with the belt!
8 horsepower and 4 pounds lost is huge!

Xgraphite

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
Idaho
I have the MVM on my 18’ 175 I geared it down which really helped. I also have the TKI on my 20 Polaris Khaos. I like both drives, really easy to change gearing on the mountain. I haven’t had a problem with either of them. You can’t go wrong with either one.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2017-2021 SKI-DOO G4 BELT DRIVE $800.00

Description
***850T COMPATIABLE
The Belt Drive for Ski-Doo G4 models 2017-21 allows for easy installation and change from heavy stock chain drive to belt drive system with NO modifications to the factory parts. This kit does NOT modify any OEM parts and the speed sensor is installed.
Manufactured in the USA!!
Available in multiple gear ratios allowing for maximized power and easy adjustment. Reduces over 4.5 lbs of weight and 3 lbs of rotating mass. Speed sensor installed.
Recommended gear ratios:
3.0 154 = 26T
3.0 165 = 25T
Gear ratio calculation = Bottom Gear / Top Gear
or 63/25 = 2.52.
**PLEASE NOTE: SHOT START BRACKETS ARE ONLY INCLUDED IF INDICATED DURING ORDER. SHOT BRACKETS NEEDED AFTER ORDER WILL INCUR $25 FEE FOR SHIPPING AND HANDLING.

=========================

Ski-Doo Summit 850 G4 Belt Drives -Ski-Doo REV XM T3 Package $875.00 – $1,040.00
https://mountainvalleymachine.com/product/snowmobile-part/

MVM’s Ski-Doo Mountain Sled Light Weight Belt Drive Performance Enhancment System
  • Weight reduction of 4 lbs
  • Impressive throttle response in the low and mid range
  • No more broken chains or Chain cases

=============

One SMALL difference I noticed in their descriptions was that MVM is supporting use on the OEM TURBO configuration..
I saw no mention of that on the TKI site, but their stock photo IS of a Turbo Install..

Of all the mods I have done over the last decade, this is one I haven't tried yet..
Maybe its time.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've personally seen the factory turbo ski-doo sitting in the TKI shop. I wouldn't worry about that. I remember him commenting something about the spline engagement on the factory turbo sled is less between the bottom gear and drive shaft and he noticed more play with under a 100 miles than he's seen on past Ski-doo sleds (OEM configuration). From what I understood his kit increases the spline engagement over stock on the turbo. I'm a Cat guy, but that seems like a good thing to me. Call or email them to get the full skinny on that in case I misunderstood. One thing I've always appreciated about TKI is they hard anodize all of their parts which helps long term durability of splines and you'll get reduced corrosion from chemicals or road salt. Does the MVM kit have the little marks on the cover for quick checking the belt deflection?

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
I've personally seen the factory turbo ski-doo sitting in the TKI shop. I wouldn't worry about that. I remember him commenting something about the spline engagement on the factory turbo sled is less between the bottom gear and drive shaft and he noticed more play with under a 100 miles than he's seen on past Ski-doo sleds (OEM configuration). From what I understood his kit increases the spline engagement over stock on the turbo. I'm a Cat guy, but that seems like a good thing to me. Call or email them to get the full skinny on that in case I misunderstood. One thing I've always appreciated about TKI is they hard anodize all of their parts which helps long term durability of splines and you'll get reduced corrosion from chemicals or road salt. Does the MVM kit have the little marks on the cover for quick checking the belt deflection?

I just measured and marked a half inch space with a marksalot pen!
6bbfcb9e7177278cc76bfb35964f7b1c.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
Are you sure you don`t want 1/4 of an inch both ways? that would be 1/2 inch play.

Premium Features