• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Crash1

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2015
Harbor Springs, Mi
I don't know, I'm 68 and one of my riding buddies is 81 we both ride Skidoo 850's. I'm not totally sure what you are asking but in my book, if you are out riding that's half the game. The rest depends on knowledge from the last 30 years and how well you apply it today. We still ride, maybe not as hard as we once did.
Keep it up, I sure am. Hope to get out west to train with some of the pros this year.

Crash1

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2015
Harbor Springs, Mi
i'm 73, ride a 16 m-8000....y-pipe, tki drive, ti can, just put a 174 on my previous 162....looking forward to another season....i work out pretty hard with weights and stair master, rowing, bike and my own routine using hand dumb-bells....the group i rode with for years have all given up for various reasons...i still go to the same places, hook up with different groups in the parking lot, don't mention my age and with a helmet and gear on, they won't know until i've already established my ability to ride...i also frequently ride alone, but am careful about where i go...i carry a "spot" and a satellite phone, have a good survival pack with storm parka, also lots of outdoor experience with several survival schools, i backpack, hunt elk (took a very nice 6 point), packed him out by myself....not giving up or in to age just yet...:face-icon-small-ton
Nice write up, and keep it up. i agree with the Fitness routines too.

Crash1

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2015
Harbor Springs, Mi
49 and usually ride with younger guys. Two guys above hit the nail on the head. As we get older what you do in the off-season becomes increasingly important. You can't sit around all summer and expect your body to perform. For young and old I suggest a dedicated workout routine heavy on the weights side. Nothing battles age better! Age will not beat me easily lol

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk
Keep going for it. i am at 69. i have to drop down to the 4-50 yr old guys as everyone i know quit.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Tieton,Wash
at 64 still love to ride but guess i had too much fun dirt biking in earlier years and now knees are telling me you had too much fun . fearing i may have to have some knee replacement in near future. wondering how many out there riding with new knees?

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
dooguy:

Had the left one done 4 yrs. ago and the right one done Aug. '19. Left is OK for sledding. The right one was a PITA last season for sledding. It is slowly getting better. Hope it doesn't limit me this upcoming season like it did last season. Time will tell.

P
Jul 26, 2020
#54 here ??. MTN Ride November- April. Also trail ride. Try out my first Arctic Cat. Never owned a Cat. Friend sold me his AC M8000 for cheap. I said why not. Had many Polaris RMK 800, XC800, Yamaha SRX 700, 440, and old Skidoo Skandic, Elan.

C
Jan 13, 2009
Coalville, Ut
Bought my first sled in 1968 and I wouldn’t change a thing. If there was anything better in life the good Lord kept it for himself.
I hear ya brother and been sledding since 1969 on my dads 1970 Ski Doo 399 Nordic. Riding today on a 2020 Polaris RMK 850 174' and love it. Live and Ride the greatest snow on Earth and good to hear so many others are still riding after 60.

033.JPG

C
Jan 13, 2009
Coalville, Ut
When I started this thread my thought was there might be some “magic” sled that would overcome all my bad habits and diminished strength as I have got older. I have owned Polaris for years, but spent time on an alpha and for a short time owned an 850 Ski Doo. They are all good sleds. From your posts I have learned age is just a number, and as we get older it is necessary to build skills that match the terrain/equipment you ride. Over the last 2 seasons I have worked on skills. Learned from better riders, and put myself in situations I used to avoid. After much mental struggle I bought a Polaris 850 174. The sled works great. The one thing I would recommend is electric start. I love it!
Thanks for all the comments. It has been good for all of us.
You are correct as age is just a number and I also ride a 2020 174" Axys 850 with electric start and it's a great sled. I buy a new cled every year and the last three sleds have been all 174"!

031.JPG

C
Jan 13, 2009
Coalville, Ut
Started riding in 1985 my first sled was a 1980 500 Centurion current ride 2019 850 Polaris.View attachment 336096
I have owned 5 Centurions I loved them all. Some were left stock and modified others with everything from Noble's 605 kit to cut tunnels, rolled chain cases along with long track kits. Currently ride a 2020 850 Polaris 174" with estart and wouldn't go back. I have a new 2021 snowchecked and the only difference is color.

266.JPG

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Turning 55 this year and have been riding 47 of those. Can't imagine stopping much less slowing down. New turbo G4 should be in any time now. God willing, I've got another 20 to 25 years of sledding yet.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I am 51 - last sled I snow checked was a 99 RMK700. The couple times I took my son before I sold that one had a huge impact on him. Fast forward to last year - he finally had enough nickels to rub together to buy his first sled - a 2020 RMK 850 Pro. He started pestering me about getting back into it and it definitely brought up all the fond memories of riding in Cooke City, West Yellowstone and Big Horns. So after a 20 ish year hiatus - a few months ago I found a 2019 RMK850 with 115 miles and then a month later picked up a 2013 800 in hopes my wife and/or (last reaming in the house) son would get the itch as well. Been using the last couple months to do a bunch of upgrades on both sleds to get them ready to go.....and hitting the gym as well. So - short story - I'm back.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
I have owned 5 Centurions I loved them all. Some were left stock and modified others with everything from Noble's 605 kit to cut tunnels, rolled chain cases along with long track kits. Currently ride a 2020 850 Polaris 174" with estart and wouldn't go back. I have a new 2021 snowchecked and the only difference is color.
Some of the guys in our snowmo club back in the 80's had Centurions and those sleds had a sound all their own going across a lake or a meadow at full song.

Premium Features