• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen5 chassis in 2022??

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
My wife has a 2020.5 turbo. It is not the shocks. It is rider forward and how they are. It takes deep snow to get rid of it . Nobody sees it because they are not willing to try something different or they jump on one or the other and they're too different so don't hardly ride them.

I wasn’t talking about your 2020.5 I was talking about your statement on your old 2018. If the shocks haven’t been rebuilt since new (fall 2017) and especially if the sled isn’t suspended when not in use or over the summer, then I would bet you aren’t misremembering how the sled used to feel. I would guess the shocks just need to be rebuilt.

I only bring this up because I’ve battled it myself several times. Even replaced a sled because I thought it was just “how the sled handled” but later found out the shocks were blown.

As for the 2020.5 it definitely rides WAY more front end heavy than my 2018 did. I think you and I discussed this in the thread I posted about this very issue on the 2020.5. I’ve been able to get the sled to ride a lot more how I want it by playing with the shocks though. I should probably update that thread with my new settings.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I wasn’t talking about your 2020.5 I was talking about your statement on your old 2018. If the shocks haven’t been rebuilt since new (fall 2017) and especially if the sled isn’t suspended when not in use or over the summer, then I would bet you aren’t misremembering how the sled used to feel. I would guess the shocks just need to be rebuilt.

I only bring this up because I’ve battled it myself several times. Even replaced a sled because I thought it was just “how the sled handled” but later found out the shocks were blown.

As for the 2020.5 it definitely rides WAY more front end heavy than my 2018 did. I think you and I discussed this in the thread I posted about this very issue on the 2020.5. I’ve been able to get the sled to ride a lot more how I want it by playing with the shocks though. I should probably update that thread with my new settings.

Did you have a aftermarket can on your 2018?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Extra weight on the front end when comparing one sled to the turbo.

I have the stock can on my 19 and did not notice this heavy front end.
Aftermarket cans also unbalance the sled.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Extra weight on the front end when comparing one sled to the turbo.

I have the stock can on my 19 and did not notice this heavy front end.
Aftermarket cans also unbalance the sled.

So do turbos. :LOL:

But seriously. if you set up your sag correctly with and without the stock can, I highly doubt the 10lbs will make much difference to your ski pressure. At least not to the point where is super noticeable.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
So do turbos. :LOL:

But seriously. if you set up your sag correctly with and without the stock can, I highly doubt the 10lbs will make much difference to your ski pressure. At least not to the point where is super noticeable.

Its noticeable, have you ever setup a sled on scales?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Went to a mesh hood this year on the turbo sled mid way threw season, after the first hill if was a noticeable lighter feel but ski lift was also higher on a decent pull and that was a on a decent aftermarket skid..

Weigh savings was 10lbs.. so yes it can be felt from what I seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ba1c8f1322b7e72703a8bcf2897e7fe3.jpg

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
I would love to see a gen 5 come out. I love the engine on the skidoo (and SHOT) but I feel that the chassis is too wide and the power transfer is to the very rear of the track. I added zmotion and lock out which did help but still needs improvement. I switch back an forth from riding my 18 Cat 162 and my 19 Doo 165. The Doo is so much lighter in the front than my Cat which is great for the little trail riding I do but I prefer my Cat in technical tree riding. It side hills WAY better and stays flatter. Polaris is the happy medium but I don't want a sled the blows up all the time and is in the shop more often than not.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I would love to see a gen 5 come out. I love the engine on the skidoo (and SHOT) but I feel that the chassis is too wide and the power transfer is to the very rear of the track. I added zmotion and lock out which did help but still needs improvement. I switch back an forth from riding my 18 Cat 162 and my 19 Doo 165. The Doo is so much lighter in the front than my Cat which is great for the little trail riding I do but I prefer my Cat in technical tree riding. It side hills WAY better and stays flatter. Polaris is the happy medium but I don't want a sled the blows up all the time and is in the shop more often than not.

Run a 850t and the older t3xm 800t both on 174 tracks.. not sure why but so far the older t3 to me is a easier sled to handle, and more stable for climbs.. both with aftermarket skids on..

Had the stock skid on the 850 for part of a season, but found it way to unstable and could never dictate where it would take a guy..

Doo really needs a proper built skid, it makes riding so much better after..

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Run a 850t and the older t3xm 800t both on 174 tracks.. not sure why but so far the older t3 to me is a easier sled to handle, and more stable for climbs.. both with aftermarket skids on..

Had the stock skid on the 850 for part of a season, but found it way to unstable and could never dictate where it would take a guy..

Doo really needs a proper built skid, it makes riding so much better after..

My backcountry has the "c-motion" skid, and 16 inch wide track without flex edge. I can handle that sled in a sidehill way better than i could my 2017 summit 165. My plan is to put the summit front end on it eventually and just use it as a play machine.. right now it needs to be a "crossover".. a 154x16x2.5 inch track crossover I might add... I have no doubt once the 36 inch summit front end is installed it'll be sooo much more than the summit I had ever was. It still wheelies a lot.. but I don't mind that, its easily controlled with a little bit of breaking and throttle control.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Skidoo - Gen4 is great! DO NOT make the Summit anything like an Axys!

Really? I would like a lighter sled, with belt drive, LEDs, and a skid that holds a sidehill better and gets up on the snow, with clutches that run cooler.

Love my Doo, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it adopt some stuff from Poo.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Really? I would like a lighter sled, with belt drive, LEDs, and a skid that holds a sidehill better and gets up on the snow, with clutches that run cooler.

Love my Doo, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it adopt some stuff from Poo.

Fair enough, all those things could be improved but if the end result is a sled that rides like an Axys then no thanks! I know some love it but I can't stand how the Axys feels/rides. My riding buddy has one and he is always exhausted riding the same lines as I do because the Axys simply takes more energy. Some will disagree but from what I have seen the Axys effort level compared to a Summit improves the steeper the sidehill so if you always ride extreme terrain and are in top physical shape the Axys may be the better sled. For the rest of us the Summit takes less effort and is more fun to ride... I am an average rider and highly prefer the Summit.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Fair enough, all those things could be improved but if the end result is a sled that rides like an Axys then no thanks! I know some love it but I can't stand how the Axys feels/rides. My riding buddy has one and he is always exhausted riding the same lines as I do because the Axys simply takes more energy. Some will disagree but from what I have seen the Axys effort level compared to a Summit improves the steeper the sidehill so if you always ride extreme terrain and are in top physical shape the Axys may be the better sled. For the rest of us the Summit takes less effort and is more fun to ride... I am an average rider and highly prefer the Summit.
It’s ok too like your ski-Doo bro. ?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You of all should have caught, Tether. How many fuel maps has Poo tried now?

So if you own a 2019 Polaris you can have the 2020 flash installed into you sled. This is no charge and brings your sled up to the latest and greatest. Now if you have a 2019 G4 you can go buy a 2020 sled for a few extra HP but you are not getting the flash at any cost for your 2019.

Sorry.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

This is true to a point but the G4 will give up in the most gnarly terrain where the AXYS will go no problem. Yes it comes at the cost of a little more effort the rest of the time. Depends where you like to spend your days.

B
Feb 18, 2009
So if you own a 2019 Polaris you can have the 2020 flash installed into you sled. This is no charge and brings your sled up to the latest and greatest. Now if you have a 2019 G4 you can go buy a 2020 sled for a few extra HP but you are not getting the flash at any cost for your 2019.

Sorry.

Skidoo engine is so much better it's not even funny!

Premium Features