• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twin Rail Option Needed for Snow Check

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
1,400 miles on my Alpha.
I want both, Alpha and twin rail. Swap for the current conditions. Alpha sucks in setup snow and is a monster in the deep stuff!

Sent it

I agree. 800 miles on my 19 Alpha. i want both too!!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Curious if any of you requesting twin rails have actually OWNED Alphas?

Seems like guys who OWN them, love them. The SnoWest forum is the only place that I see people complain about them. The little bit that I have been around the Alpha it has impressed me- I can’t really say that about any other Cats we ride with.
I also see complaints from guys who have only spent a short time on an alpha, like take a buddies sled for a quick spin or rode a demo for 30 min. IMO it takes a bit of time before you figure out just how to ride them and to really appreciate them . I think it was a good 200 miles before I really got the hang of it, and wasn't until I hopped back on a two railer that I really noticed how much easier the alpha is to ride. So far the only negative I've noticed in the set up snow is that you gotta be real gentle with the throttle when sidehilling, grab to much and it'll wash out.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah. Another broken crank to rod bearing failure. That's 3 of the same failure in 2 different 18-19 sleds. Total of 1800mi combined. On par with my Poo motor track record. Probably gonna get the bikeman tune and over oil to get more into the bottom end.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yeah. Another broken crank to rod bearing failure. That's 3 of the same failure in 2 different 18-19 sleds. Total of 1800mi combined. On par with my Poo motor track record. Probably gonna get the bikeman tune and over oil to get more into the bottom end.

Did you have any tune or oem? Maybe that’s an ancient Chinese secret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Have u monitored the oil ratio?
I did for the first 1,000 miles on my 18 and 19.
Both had an average of ~65:1.

Sent it

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Yeah, about 45-50:1 would be great. mines a 20 and I checked it during break in about 55:1. Haven't checked after, but it uses less now than it did then. I'll probably flash it after warranty is up.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
OEM programmng. My Alpha with the reflash oem runs 55:1. I want to run it at about 40:1.

I asked because I’m running the Silber reflash on my ‘18.
I need to track the actual consumption, but I could tell right off its much smokier. At idle, prior to, it was super clean no smoke 2 stroke.
Now it actually looks to be using oil at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Feb 4, 2013
In Sweden they offer a twinrail. E-start, 2.6" track. Ok, not 165 with 3" lungs.
Translated from Google :
For those of you who do not want to ride with the single track in the woods, the traditional double-track bogie is now back in this version of the M8000 Mountain Cat. The machine has the best dampers QS3 Float, electric start, long cooler and 66mm cam height.
Screenshot_20200324-210608.png

O
Aug 17, 2019
Twin Cities
Fair point on the price. However I bought a new axys last year for 10k. Saturation has its perks. And is there any such thing as a 'holdover' cat after this year?

Riding the difference between a stock and lifted proclimb/acender points out the most obvious problem with the cats: they still ride like the nose wants to be sniffing out scooby snacks. The spindle caster and height, and skid height needs to be dealt with. I'm not so sure the rail was the right gimmick to go with to improve handling all around.

We'll see on the axys motor I got. I did buy an 800 and not an 850 for a reason, I'm with you on first year polaris motors. But regarding the 800s I'm seeing more griping about ctec motors here lately to be honest. Only problem I've had so far is the polaris tether messed some things up for a while but that was easily fixed........with a cat tether ;)
As a Cat guy that buys 1-3yr old used sleds, I’m excited to say that no there is finally almost no carryover sleds. My wallet and I thank Textron for making all my sleds more valuable when I sell as an over saturated market isn’t good for anyone. Funny how the off brands are falling inline and shifting to spring order sales model as well. If only Cat had the Polaris marketing team and budget.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
As a Cat guy that buys 1-3yr old used sleds, I’m excited to say that no there is finally almost no carryover sleds.

I'm not.

The only way I can afford remotely new sleds is buying carry overs.

Good for the dealers that AC has fvcked over the last few years.

O
Aug 17, 2019
Twin Cities
I'm not.

The only way I can afford remotely new sleds is buying carry overs.

Good for the dealers that AC has fvcked over the last few years.
I’m not sure what you consider remotely new but as I said in my original post. I buy 1-3yr old used sleds that I consider not to be remotely new, but instead almost new. Typically 1-2 yr carryovers are Sold at a 15-20% discount. In MN where I’m from, you would pay 6.75% sales tax plus license and fees. The sled would be stock an most likely minimal accessories and a shorter warranty or no warranty at all. I buy well maintained 1-3 yr old used with under 500 miles, pay no sales tax are typically loaded with the accessories I would have had to buy and install for the same price or less than your carryover. No brainer in my opinion.

Premium Features