• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha track failures

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
19 165,
1,200+ miles.
A few torn paddles from trees and stumps.
I am honestly surprised that i don't have a bunch of torn or missing paddles. I Hit a lot of stumps and logs riding in low snow....
Never a day that i don't see at least 60mph on the trail and quite often 70mph, usually cruise around 40-50 unless moguls dictate otherwise.
Scratchers are always down on the trail sometimes i don't put them up for almost the entire day unless i need to back up.

Inside of the track has a lot of wear from the hifax and lack of track cilps...

Track has been tight(~1" with ~20#) since 150mi.

Sent it

You should buy a powerball ticket.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
This track topic has me concerned on what sled i should get next. Do you think the 2021 154 2.6 in the hardcore will be better for durability? Thoughts on that for the U.P. and 1-2 trips a year out west? Otherwise I was looking at 19/20 RMK’s, leftover twin rail mountain cats and leftover alphas... I have a 19 high country 141 that I plan to keep..
Any help is greatly appreciated, I don’t mean to hijack the thread..

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
In your scenario i would get the 2.6 being it is a 154. Whether durability is better, i don't know. A 3 inch does heat up quicker unless you are in stellar snow all the time. The 3 inch alpha does trench a little bit. I do know, on the polaris, a 3 trenches and the 2.6 spins a little more but climbes up on the snow quicker and goes. There will be circumstances where the 3 is better but all around the 2.6 might be better. My alpha is a elevated 154 and is really rarey if digging. Especially if the snow flap is stuck straight out. I kind of wonder if the 2.6 is a better fit. I would like to try one. If it was a 165, which i had last year, my opinion would be different.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
My 19’ alpha had 1100 miles on it at the end of last season. 200 miles stock, the rest with 5-6lbs boost. I was very impressed with how well the track held up with the abuse it saw. Sounds like there are more problems with the 2020 tracks than the 2019.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My 20 Hardcore 154 shed two paddles and two half paddles at 150 miles. You could tell it started from the center of the track. It appears to be heat related and the Cat manufacturers warranty didn't help. But, my dealer sold me a track for cost.

My theory is having two hyfax right next to each other creates more heat in one area than a twin rail set up. I guess i will have to be extra careful riding trail going in and out of the backwoods.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

For what it is worth I talked to a track manufacturer at a trade show. The subject was about Polaris and why the AXYS from 2016-18 had the track clips on the "non-lugged windows" as apposed to the "lugged windows" like all other manufacturers tracks. This track manufacturer went on to tell me that Polaris went against their recommendation on the design because the flat landers that were buying mountain sleds had been loosing lugs due to heat generated through the track clip from the hyfax. He said it was just the lugs close to the heat transfer points that were cooking and getting brittle and breaking off. This story supports heat generation as the cause for track failure. BTW the result of not clipping the lugs resulted in rubber wearing to the cords. The 19/s and 20's don't have problems now.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My flaking track rubber above the fiberglass rods have turned them into cracked rods now.... see what happens with the rest of the winter, may turn into needing a track next season.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Shed 2 half paddles down to fiberglass last weekend. Was riding in marginal snow, so no surprise, doesn’t seem to take abuse like the 3” claw did though. 500 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
2 2020 alphas here one with turbo both over 600 miles one tear in paddle can see something poked into the paddle that caused it to rare. Tare hasn’t spread yet and started about 2” from tip of paddle. I’ll prob buy another 2020 for my wife.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My track on, Sunday I guess said cya later? Just doing my early week check over, I don't recall hitting anything but there it is. If the Cad-USD wasn't so bad, $1100 ish for a new track isnt too bad, but with exchange rate only getting worse and the now uncertainty of things... Canadian bucks its $2200 ish, OUCH, my season may be over :(, Will be keeping an eye open if there happens to be any used tracks come up, will also bug the dealer but not sure I'll get anywhere.

20200317_200508.jpg 20200317_200800.jpg

Last edited:

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Just confirms I’m jumping ship like everybody. Be stupid not! And trust me I want to stay. But no warranty and failures . I’m out hope someone in can upright the ship!

T
Feb 28, 2016
Just confirms I’m jumping ship like everybody. Be stupid not! And trust me I want to stay. But no warranty and failures . I’m out hope someone in can upright the ship!
Why jump ship to another brand with either the exact same problems or worse? Not trying to be rude just wondering the motivation

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc

They are all just as bad going to thinner lighter tracks while applying more load on them. As with many components,

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
My son beats the crap out of his 2019 Alpha 165 and no issues with the track 1800 miles on the clock- but he has broken the mag side rear scissor 5mm bolt twice-
I see the 2021 has a thru bolt now- wonder if there is a reto fit kit ......

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Premium Features