• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twin Rail Option Needed for Snow Check

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
get what you pay for comes to mind... snowcheck cats start in the 12s while the others are 16k+ no?
cat has a pretty good gauge, painted rail(s) and tunnel, tether, STANDARD. very solid performer for soft snow mountain riding, still better platform than a doo imo. just gotta seal the airbox, and maybe not on the 21s? 21s should have an improved rail and drop a couple more pounds at least, cat never just does BNGs, theres always something, usually a few things.
that said id order a 21 polaris if i were in the mood to WAY overpay for a toy this year. by WAY i mean likely having to rebuild the motor before Ive even paid it off. gonna stick to my 17MC until i can pay cash next time.

Fair point on the price. However I bought a new axys last year for 10k. Saturation has its perks. And is there any such thing as a 'holdover' cat after this year?

Riding the difference between a stock and lifted proclimb/acender points out the most obvious problem with the cats: they still ride like the nose wants to be sniffing out scooby snacks. The spindle caster and height, and skid height needs to be dealt with. I'm not so sure the rail was the right gimmick to go with to improve handling all around.

We'll see on the axys motor I got. I did buy an 800 and not an 850 for a reason, I'm with you on first year polaris motors. But regarding the 800s I'm seeing more griping about ctec motors here lately to be honest. Only problem I've had so far is the polaris tether messed some things up for a while but that was easily fixed........with a cat tether ;)

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Personally I won’t buy another cat with the single rail. I love my 18’ twin rail. I know cat is very close to releasing the 800 ctec turbo, probably at hay days or fall release. They need to have a twin rail option with the 3.5” pitch alpha track, would be the best sled ever built.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Fair point on the price. However I bought a new axys last year for 10k. Saturation has its perks. And is there any such thing as a 'holdover' cat after this year?

Riding the difference between a stock and lifted proclimb/acender points out the most obvious problem with the cats: they still ride like the nose wants to be sniffing out scooby snacks. The spindle caster and height, and skid height needs to be dealt with. I'm not so sure the rail was the right gimmick to go with to improve handling all around.

We'll see on the axys motor I got. I did buy an 800 and not an 850 for a reason, I'm with you on first year polaris motors. But regarding the 800s I'm seeing more griping about ctec motors here lately to be honest. Only problem I've had so far is the polaris tether messed some things up for a while but that was easily fixed........with a cat tether ;)

i was just comparing snowcheck prices. I hear ya on the scooby snacks LOL. that is real. spindle caster IDK, i thought that was good for aggressive riding.
850 poo motor seems solid now, wonder if it actually lasts longer than the "solid" 800? I wouldnt finance one, but lots of people will, especially the sno-checkers, go big when its on credit! been there before...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I think the caster angle pushes the skis when steering flat in tight spaces. Ever notice how the skis don't seem to bite and just get shoved forward easier than other sleds?

R
Feb 26, 2008
I think its funny how many people on the internet are clamoring for a twin rail. Never heard someone say anything in the real world about it.
Every single call on my 19 Hardcore has been asking if its an alpha and theyre no longer interested when they find out its a twin rail.

S

SledderX

Sep 20, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
I'm also on a 18' mountain cat twin rail and love it. Running high on miles now and its time for a new sled. After 21 arctic cats and never owning another brand I'm honestly considering buying a Polaris. I have no interest whatsoever on the Alpha rail and the cats need a diet. With 2021 stuff already on the table things are looking pretty grim. The new Polaris's are very good as I have recently rode the new 850s in different lengths. That or find a leftover 19' mountain cat and do the elevate kit on it. Because lets be real. I cant honestly bring myself to buy a Polaris. I'm just frustrated lol

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I agree the Cat needs a diet, why don't you like the Alpha? I am on a 20 and its working good for me. Handles easy and not near as tired at the end of the day from my 16. I rode the 18 like yours and really liked that too. They are different but not a lot, one thing for sure the Alpha has a better track and get the power to the ground better. I am thinking AC is making changes for 22. One of there targets before was reducing weight.
Another thing was in the spring type snow the Cat, twin rail, Polaris and Doo tracks are packed with snow from the rear scissor forward, and the Alpha isn't. You don't really see much difference in the winter or drier type snow but it is noticeable in the spring.

Last edited:
F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
I think the caster angle pushes the skis when steering flat in tight spaces. Ever notice how the skis don't seem to bite and just get shoved forward easier than other sleds?
I agree gets very noticeble in heavy snow i have kmod steering in good snow very sharp steering turn inside a axys in heavy snow wont turn more than 80% its like the ski cathes and wont go past 80% steering even if i turn bars to stop.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
Reducing weight? It makes me cringe every time I hear this and I hear it all the time. If you can loose weight and not sacrifice reliability and more importantly strength without adding $5,000.00 to the price tag I am all in. If that was easy to do It would have been done. There are more people riding these machines and owning mountain sleds that can’t ride like Kincaid and McClure then can. Realistically how many people can take the new Alpha and ride it to it full potential. If you want to buy a New Alpha, spend 5 to 8 grand and shed 20 to 30 pounds have it. Might as well spend another 5 to 8 on turbo at the same time. You can then climb with the mountain goats and give me a call I will come watch. To expect the manufacture to do it at a price point the majority can afford is asking a lot.
The majority don’t need it or want it. I would much rather have a machine that is reliable and don’t break or bend when I hit a twig. We have seen from the other brands what happens when you go to light and I personally want to thank Cat for not going down that road.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
Sorry I derailed from main topic on last post some. Cat will make another Twin rail. When??? The market requires it. It sure has made the new or low mileage twin rails worth a lot more and the inventory is fading fast. You do have to really hunt hard to find a person that has put a bunch of time on an Alpha that hates it to the point they want to go back to the twin rail. Most that want the twin rail have “tried” the Alpha and decided they want to stay with Twin rail verses committing to it and then going away from it.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Reducing weight? It makes me cringe every time I hear this and I hear it all the time. If you can loose weight and not sacrifice reliability and more importantly strength without adding $5,000.00 to the price tag I am all in. If that was easy to do It would have been done. There are more people riding these machines and owning mountain sleds that can’t ride like Kincaid and McClure then can. Realistically how many people can take the new Alpha and ride it to it full potential. If you want to buy a New Alpha, spend 5 to 8 grand and shed 20 to 30 pounds have it. Might as well spend another 5 to 8 on turbo at the same time. You can then climb with the mountain goats and give me a call I will come watch. To expect the manufacture to do it at a price point the majority can afford is asking a lot.
The majority don’t need it or want it. I would much rather have a machine that is reliable and don’t break or bend when I hit a twig. We have seen from the other brands what happens when you go to light and I personally want to thank Cat for not going down that road.
It was the AC engineers that were talking about weight reduction. I think there is plenty of room for improvement as far as weight goes. Like the muffler why cant it be 10 lbs in stead of 18, the oil tank and chain case cover that is a poor design also. What happened to the fuel tank being 5 lbs lighter, just use the right length of bolt instead of it being 1/2 to long, none of these changes effect reliability or durability. There is alot that can be done with no reliability issues. Your way of thinking would have us riding 600 lbs sleds with 50 hp. At least then more could ride it to its potential what ever that has to do with any of this.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
….not to mention the hood and intake. Just copy the Polaris for crap sake. Weighs dramatically less and you can have it all off in like 30 seconds. Oh, and maybe we could fix the fuel, air, H20 mix while we're at it? Cat could easily make one of the best sleds on the snow with just a few improvements that already exist...elevate, 3.5 pitch track twin rail, fix the intake, lose a few pounds. Adding the Alpha to a normal lineup instead of going that way exclusively would have diversified the lineup in a way that sold more sleds but as is I'm not sure they added more than they chased away. I loved the Alpha the two days I rode one but there are some downsides to it in some conditions that make me hesitate. My second sled is now an Axys because if fits what I want. I would prefer the ctec 800 in it though.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Why do we not get a twin rail option in the US? Common AC!! It's not like they have to plan for anything, just produce what is spring ordered. Especially if you already have the tooling in place and producing this for international, why not include the US as well? I don't understand this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
800 CTEC Turbo, 165" Alpha track on a twin rail. Yes........I would buy tomorrow!! (And hopefully they lift the sled....otherwise it's another Elevate kit for me)

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Curious if any of you requesting twin rails have actually OWNED Alphas?

Seems like guys who OWN them, love them. The SnoWest forum is the only place that I see people complain about them. The little bit that I have been around the Alpha it has impressed me- I can’t really say that about any other Cats we ride with.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Curious if any of you requesting twin rails have actually OWNED Alphas?

Seems like guys who OWN them, love them. The SnoWest forum is the only place that I see people complain about them. The little bit that I have been around the Alpha it has impressed me- I can’t really say that about any other Cats we ride with.
1,400 miles on my Alpha.
I want both, Alpha and twin rail. Swap for the current conditions. Alpha sucks in setup snow and is a monster in the deep stuff!

Sent it

Last edited:
Premium Features